Hinksey Lake, Oxford

Alan Campbell

Reaction score
Oxford and District A.A. have now taken over the lease of the water from the City Council. There are some big fish in the lake but its a hard nut to crack. Anyone needing permits for Oxford waters next season email me.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA)

Hi Alan, will night fishing be alllowed ?

Alan Campbell

Reaction score
I don't know Andy, the only times I have had a good return from the lake is at night. I will phone Fat Phil to see if he can enlighten us. I do know that children must be accompanied by an adult as part of the lease. If not they will be asked to leave.

Clikfire

Reaction score
Why can't children fish it? Its in a public park complete with boating lake and out door swimming pool, therefore loads of children play their in the summer.
I used to fish it as a youngster and thought it to be a good place to fish as there were always so many people around if you got into any trouble.

Cormorants now plague the place, but still some good roach, tench, perch and pike in it.

Have Oxford got the whole lake or are the banks outside of the park still free for anyone?

Alan Campbell

Reaction score
Children can't fish the lake on thier own thats the deal.
Night fishing is also a no go for Insurance purposes.
Oxford DAA have all the lake. The north side (Park) will be open at park times only. The South side will be platformed out and open dawn to dusk.
Hope this helps.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA)

Given that the main species after the carp losses last year are Bream Tench Eels and Pike two of which are nocturnal and it has a bit of a cormorant problem allowing no night fishing will limit the fishing a fair bit.

Alan Campbell

Reaction score
Totally agree Andy. Hinksey will never be a match lake unless serious money is spent on it like Drayton or Clattercote and pontoon it all the way round, fill it with carp and away you go. But that will never happen as it is still a nature reserve. I think this lake should have a night fishing permit like the Association used to have. Let the clubs like ourselves distribute them, and if it becomes a problem then revert back to the ban. I can write a letter to the Association with every ones thoughts and see where we go from there.

Dyl. Harvey

Reaction score
Alan Campbell - can you tell me to what extent the carp deaths were - did we loose the big fish..?