My first ever Tench - at long last

csmpaul1

Reaction score
Well I went for my first days fishing on friday on the GUC in Glen Parva, Leicester and had a reasonable day with a mixed net of Roach, Skimmers and Rudd, oh and one tiny Perch and a GUDGEON!!!lol,
But the icing on the cake was a Tench of 4lb 12oz, this might not sound a huge fish or one to get excited about but it's a fish that will stay in my memory for a long time,
When I used to fish regular I'd spent many a day targeting Tench but just could not catch one for love nor money no matter how hard I tried even when I'd gone with friends who would catch several Tench in a day from tiddlers to double figure fish, It just seemed as though I was never destined to break my Tench virginity, but when I hooked that fish yesterday I thought this feels better, maybe a perch of a couple of pounds or even a chub or carp, I knew it wasn't a bream because it put up too good a fight and when I saw it surface and realised it was a Tench I nearly dropped my rod, then the fear set in, will my hook hold, will my hooklength hold, will it unhttp://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/photo_popup.php?e=vB_Editor_001#hook it's self, I've never concentrated so hard on playing a fish in my life and when I got my net under her I will openly admit I had a tear in my eye, I had finaly caught my first Tench and that realy did make the day.
A 4lb 12oz Tench may not sound so special to a lot of you but for me it's one of the best catches of my life...
IMG-20110415-00105-3.jpg

View image in gallery

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Yes well done mate, it doesnt matter what we think, big, small or massive, now you had one, i hope you have many more, your happy, thats what counts.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Good for you,mate. I know exactly how you feel having caught my first ever zander in January. It was spectacularly small [the smallest I've caught to date] but it didn't matter one bit.

And that's a very respectable tench in my book.

Last edited:

thamestrotter

Reaction score
first tench and a fine tench.

well done mate, let us never lose sight of the fact that fish like this are still a wonderful thing to catch,may you catch many more.

little oik

Reaction score
there is always some thing special about catching your first of a species and a wait of that long will only make it more so .Well Done

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
A 4lb 12oz tench..............no,its not big by todays standards BUt its a great fish (probably looked like a 'real' tench instead of a bloated specimen of double that weight) and I would be happy to catch similar all day on light tackle as I did many moons ago as young lad................and a fish that many anglers are still to emulate...

Well done............................be nice to see a pic next time!!

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
I'm with with Chav on this, a fabulous tench which most of us would be very pleased to catch. Well done indeed.:)

Made me think back to my first tench, Sutton at Hone (Halls then I think) 1970, float fished maggot, porcupine quill, drizzly june day, 1 lb 1ozs!

You never really forget and size is in the eye of the beholder.

kite

Reaction score
Tench are always a buzz to catch, I remember my 1st from the local pond just last year, weighing in at 7.5 lbs, I was over the moon.

dezza

Reaction score
My first tench weighed 1 lb 12 oz, taken from a local lake when I was only 13 or so. I'll never forget that fish, it made me a tench enthusiast for the rest of my life.

realmadyid

Reaction score
Would be happy to catch 4lb tench all day...real proper fish that look wonderful...well done..

Paul

ninja_death

Reaction score
Well done on your first tench csmpaul1, it feels great doesn't it. Also had my first tench on the 23rd of this month at 5lb 8oz on a cell boilie on the edge of a reed bed at my local lake, was well chuffed.

ninja_death-albums-fishing-picture2531-5-5lb-tench.jpg

Tench are always a buzz to catch, I remember my 1st from the local pond just last year, weighing in at 7.5 lbs, I was over the moon.

Pity you didn't fish the club lake I fish at. You would have beaten our club record by 0.5lb.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Well done - there's something special about a first tench you never forget. I remember when, where and how and this was 1952 - I also remember how elated my son was when he caught his - priceless.

luckyvic

Reaction score
Good going matey went to a local water a week ago and caught my first tench too,tried pole fishing for the first time, had the best day so far with three tench about 2lb or so and a decent perch 1lb ish looking forward to going again in a week or so