should ignorance be punished ?

Matty C

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Just wanted your opinions on something..

within the past 2 weeks, I have on 3 seperate occasions, seen people fishing my local river..

The first time was about 2 weeks ago, a group of maybe 6 lads, about 13/14 yeas old.. I started off by approaching them and asking if they were aware it was the close season, "yes" they told me.. "why are you fishing it then?" I asked, to which I was asked if this particular stretch of river was mine, emplying I had ni right to ask them why they were breaking the law.. after a minute or so of recieving verbal abuse and threats, I promptly went home n phoned the bailiff, who told me he would go down, but I dont know whether they were still there or not..

Yesterday (wednesday) was a hot day down here in the SE, so after tending to some business, I decided to go buy a pint of maggots, go to the river armed with specs and a catopolt and try n spot some chub on the surface.. After walking along maybe half a mile, I spotted some foriegn guys with a fishing rod, not in the water but on the bank.. I thought about shouting across the river at them.. but it looked more like they were more interested in sunbathing rather than fishing..
Then after spending I think about an hour or so, maybe 2, feeding my fave chub swim, all the time seeing maybe 10 or so chub taking maggots, thinking to myself dang I wish I was allowed to fish for these puppies.. I was then walking home along the river again and came across a group of 3 orientals, who were fishing.. Again, I promptly told them the rules etc n explained what would happen if they were caught. they said ok n they understand n that they didnt know, so I said ok n walked on, went round a long corner to where I could see them again, and they had started fishing again.. I thought to myself, maybe they didnt understand, they didnt speak good english so who knows.. I dont want the bailiff to think Im some tattle tail etc etc.. so I didnt do anything.. then again later that night, about 9 or so, I was a group in the distance fishing on some private land behind some flats, I was in a hurry to be somewhere though so I didnt stop..

The thoughts crossed my mind though.. I fully expect those kids who knew it was the close season to be punished, they were out of line fishing when they knew they shouldnt.. but these other people, the forgieners that have a good chance of just not knowing our rules, should they be punished.. ? I agree they should do their homework before they do something.. but alot of people wouldnt think something so innoquous(bad spelling?) like fishing would need liscences n stuff n would have laws n season n such..
I myself fall guilty of ignorance atleast once, I didnt know I needed rod license when I started fishing, on the first day of the season I got busted by an EA bailiff and I was fined ?90.. first offence ever with the law.. but I was still punished.. quite rightly too I think.

But I ask myself, should these people be dealt with the same.. should I hae phoned the bailiff.. I even thought to myself, if these people can do it, and Im the only one who sees them and will say anything to them, why shouldnt I grab a rod n stuff n go down for a couple hours if I want.. but I quickly dismissed that thought..

your opinions on whether these, without being racist, usually forgein people should be punished with a fine or something just because of a little ignorance..

Or even if I should bother phoning the bailiff every time I see someone fishing when they shouldnt..

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

Matty C.
Yes mate you should phone the E.A. everytime.
These people who you say may not understand, know full well what they are doing is wrong.

They understood how to get rods and where to go for the fish wothout any problems okay.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Ignorance is no excuse, I went on holiday to Spain with the intent of fishing the rivers. I checked with the appropriate authorities when I got there, I bought the licences for course and sea. The rivers were closed in that area as it happened however I could still fish lakes.

I saw someone parked in van next a stretch of my clubs river water on the Trent the other day. I walked down to see if they were fishing with the intent of reporting them. Spoiled my fun though cos he was a canoisist, not a rod in sight.

Book em Danno...

Matty C

Reaction score
fair enough guys.. thanks for the opinions..

I went to the river again today chub spotting.. thankfully I didnt see anyone fishing.. however I did spend another good hour n half feeding a shoal of about 10-14 chub, none of which looked smaller than 3lb.. I fished the same swim last summer n think I caught only about 3 fish under 3lb.. biggest was 4lb 15oz.. Im hopeful that theres atleast one that tops 5 though.. maybe if I feed them enough during the close season, it might bump the weights enough..

fingers crossed..

keora

Reaction score
Matty C, it could be hazardous asking groups of people to stop fishing.

It's up to the EA bailiffs to sort them out, so I would just phone the EA every time and ask them to come.

L

Les Clark

Matty ,Grass them up mate ,they won`t do it again and if they do ,grass them up again !

L

Les Clark

I grassed a local bloke up a couple of years ago ,fishing without a licence ,he knew what he was doing ,got done twice in a week ,and his son and i would do it again .

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Ignorance is no excuse ........

Try telling the police you didn't know what the speed limit was if you get stopped for speeding and see if they let you off ...

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Aye, that's true enough.

Sorry officer, I was not aware that carrying a loaded shotgun on the back seat of my car was illegal, 120mph you say, nearly twice the speed limit? My wife says I'd forget my head if it wasn't screwed on, I'm always doing things like this. Handcuffs? arrest? but, but, it's not my fault...

Tom (Bream Machine)

Reaction score
To avoid ignorance, the EA could spend some, or lots...of our money ensuring river access areas are signposted, in several languages if need be, stating when fishing is, and is not permitted, and also the fact that to fish, a licence is required. Plain for all to see....ignorance factor removed! Far fetched i know, but hey, it's an idea,
so don't shout !

P

Phil Hackett disability bad speller with Pride

Tom now't wrong with the idea mate! I read somewhere the EA are going to do this.

Without fear or favour.....OFF! Name and address please!

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

That easy is it?
I'll give the signs a couple of weeks tops, then what, replace them?

glider

Reaction score
try going to a foriegn country breaking the the law and claim you didn`t know the rules and see what happens, they know what thier doing and they probably have a better idea of the laws and how to break them than you do you can bet they know thier rights if arrested!!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I went fishing with my usual mate yesterday and he was telling me that the EA have had a purge on the river Severn and so far have caught over 200 anglers fishing illegally. They made a statement saying that they will prosecute every one of those caught and anyone else they catch, they are determined to put a stop to illegal fishing during the closed season. This was in the B'ham mail apparently.

Thats got to be a positive hasn't it?

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Pons, who posts on here from time to time, is an EA bailiff in this area and goes out on a boat to catch them.More power to him and his colleagues I say!

Parky

Reaction score
as a bit of a beginner i just want to point out there is a certain degree of ignorance that must be accpeted, obviously not to the point of breaking the law, but unless you have a father who has bought you up fishing or if you have a friend to teach you, then you will makes mistakes due to your own ignorance. we all know its a learning curve right, and we all start at the bottom.

I do agree though people breaking laws or abusing fish is more than ignorant its idiotic. it this combination of idiots who are ignorant and havent the respect to learn which causes the problems mentioned previously in this thread.

Parky

F

Fred Bonney

Parky,mistakes are acceptable,we all learn from them,ignorance of rules/laws is not.
Take up any activity, but make yourself aware of your responsibilities before participating.

Reaction score
They were probably fishing for food, who knows, I agree with glider, do it in there country an see what happens. I would report to EA any day, we need to look after our fishing.

jimj40

Reaction score
Having been to my local tackle shops I've noticed clear warnings in English and other languages about the licencing requirements, and the consequences of flouting the laws.

Having lived in other countries myself, the principle is clear and simple - respect the laws or take the consequences. If you don't know the regulations then find out before you do something you might well come to regret....