Trent, Fantastic Trent

R

Ron Clay

Quite recently some really big barbel have been taken from the tidal Trent. Mick Lomas of Sheffield has had a second 14, I have had my first double from the river and Paddy Webb, a Trent regular and reborn barbel angler from the ranks of the carp boys tells me of other very big fish.

One of the things I have noticed about the Trent is the enormous amount of natural food in there, expecially big black snails. The barbel I took yesturday was a superb conditioned fish, small head, deep shoulders and bright, almost red anal and pectoral fins together with a silvery sheen to the flanks.

No wonder I regularly meet anglers from as far afield as Kent and Essex on the River. They have no barbel fishing to compare with what we have in Notts and even South Yorkshire. The Don has now started to produce eights form the Mexborough and Sprotborough areas.

I was a little troubled when I had to relocate to South Yorks recently. Not any more. Within a 50 miles radius of where I live are some of the best coarse fishing rivers in the country. I hope my health holds out during the nexr few years so that I can take advantage of this brilliant fishing.

R

Rob Brownfield

Ron..."...and bright, almost red anal and pectoral fins ...."..sounds like your Barbel have been feeding on boillies with Robin Red in them..lol Enervite Gold does this to Carp! :eek:)

I am soooo damn jealous of u guys...my fishing is crap compared to down south. I may have huge Pike and Perch but the rest of the fishing is terrible....

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Somehow seems weird to see the Trent described as 'down south'.

W

Wendy Perry

Sorry to sound a bit dumb here but where is the Trent ?????

R

Ron Clay

Years ago there used to exist a north south divide regarding the quality of the fishing and the size of fish to be caught. In other words people in the north used to wish that they lived further south.

Now the wheel has turned full circle and it's the anglers in the South who are now trying to find a way to live more northerly. It's not just due to the fact that the fishing is better either. It's a lot cheaper to live in the north. Where can you get top class river fishing for ?3 per day within a 50 mile radius of London? Where can you get membership of a good club like Ranmoor Piscatorials based in Sheffield that has miles of excellent trout fishing on the Derbyshire Streams and truly superb coarse fishing on the Dove, Derwent, Trent and Idle for less than ?300.00 per year (or thereabouts). Where can you get good grayling, trout, barbel and other mixed river fishing for ?10.00 per year in the South - nowhere.

I really pity those inner M25 mob, breathing car fumes all day, spending much of their lives in long car parks or having to battle to get on a bus or tube every morning or evening. What a dog's life.

Live up north - God's country

R

Ron Clay

Shame - poor Wendy, you have confirmed my suspicions. They don't teach young people about geography any more.

I once met a guy from Kent who had never heard of the ancient city of York.

R

Rob Brownfield

Wendy, the Trent is way way down south *wink*...not far from London...eh Ron..hehe.

I have to travel at least 7 hours to get to it!

W

Wendy Perry

sorry guys geography not a good subject of mine i get lost in Oldham LOL

R

Ron Clay

Eee Bah Gum,

She's a lassie from Lancashire.

Looking forward to your pie and chips tonight Luv?

S

Stuart Bullard

Roy, you sound just like one of those reformed smokers. Did you ever live further south per chance?? Please don't feel sorry for me (as an inside the M25 person). I live in a lovely converted 18th century cottage surrounded by countryside, 45 minutes from the River Lea, which is a beautiful fishery. Working in "the city" is not great fun I admit, but I just keep thinking of the money!!!

By the way Wendy, my wife would not have heard of the Trent either, however it is deffinitely not a "southern" water. When we describe where waters are, the opinions of people living in Scotland really shouldn't count (a Rob?).

R

Ron Clay

Only Warwick. Lovely place, I lived right next to the Avon. Caught barbel, chub, bream and loads of pike by only walking 80 yards.

I live in the North of Rotherham, overlooking the Wentworth Valley - good fishing there - in a 300 years old terraced house. It takes me 12 minutes to get to work, a distance of 6 miles. There is no traffic at all.

I also have barbel swimming less than a mile from my house.

R

Rob Brownfield

Eh...The Trent..not a Southern Water...u must be joking?..lol

I was brought up on the Lea around Waltham Abbey/Fishers Green etc..lovely part of the world :O)

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
That's what Barney's wife said last night and Barney replied, "whaderyamean, I arrived ten minutes ago."

It's a play on words, without the asterisks.............

P

Paul Williams

Ron,
Congrats on your Trent biggie!!....i'm keeping out of the Wendy/Barney bit, i hear he used to be a punk flopper!

D

Dave Johnson

Ron, I have barbel in the Trent about 100metres from my house.....and they are growing fast!!!! very fast.
Also at Burton last week, saw an exceptional fish lost at the net in a match......as I was landing it!!!!!
Take it your double came from the stretch we fished at the Wier?-congratulations anyway.