Flavoured Maggots

Andrew Turton

Reaction score
I have bought some scopex flavouring and would like to add to a pint of maggots, there are no instructions on the bottle, the product is ton up scopex flavour.
how much should I add to get the best result.
Thanks for any help.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

Half a cap full.
But I had a cracking tip from Andy Nellist a couple of weeks ago. Don't flavour them and chop them up instead. It worked for me.

M

Mark Hodson

Add your flavour to an empty bait box and rub it all around the box using a very small piece of tissue. Then add the bait leaving the small piece of tissue in with the bait. This method just gives a more even flavouring to all of the bait. Use 1-2ml extra to account for the flavour that will stay on the tissue.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
dont forget to riddle/sieve off the maize etc...from the maggots first.
i`m sure i`ve seen bob roberts flavour some dead maggots with strawberry nutrafruit on a dvd i`ve got???
i know of someone who used to clean off his maggots etc...kill and flavour them with that liquid camp coffee stuff,they used to work a treat!!!

can you still buy camp coffee??? aint seen it for donkeys years.

Tom (Bream Machine)

Reaction score
I like my Bream fishing, so i clean my maggots off completely and add half a sachet of my local supermarkets Butterscotch instant whip powder and leave them overnight. This also works very well if sprinkled on slightly damp caster as the powder forms a sweet coating on the shell. It's a good alternative to Brasem, they also do Strawberry, Vanilla, even Chocolate. A good effective way of flavouring bait i think, and cheap at only 16p per sachet, and difficult to overdose.

M

mark williams 4

I've tried strawberry, banana, aniseed and even Scopex flavouring - but the maggots still tasted cr*p...

Matty C

Reaction score
I dunno what it was, or why, but at the beginning of the season I tried flavouring maggots with things like curry powder, paprika etc, n found that my best days all came on unflavoured, just normal maggots.. dunno if it was just the conditions or what.. who knows

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
There is one flavour that will outfish any other, that is Pineapple and not just on maggots either. It will catch more fish in more places than any other single flavour but as with all flavours be sparing with it.

Matty C

Reaction score
does actual pineapple juice work well, or does it have to be one of these fancy manufactured pineapple flavours ?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I am referring to the concentrated flavours Matty. Its my experience that most other flavours will wash off very quickly and I personally wouldn't bother with them.

If you have any doubt about how effective flavours can be then get hold of a copy of Archie Braddock's "Fantastic feeder fishing". That man has more knowledge about flavouring than is good for one person but I started using flavours in match fishing as a direct result of reading his book and won a lot of money as a result especially on the canals.

Matty C

Reaction score
Will look into it G

Am off fishing in a couple days somewhere.. dunno where yet though, eithe bury hill or marsh farm.. so might get the chance to use some then..

the weather is lookin pretty crappy though.. fishing wise that is..

Andrew Turton

Reaction score
I Fished yesterday using flavoured maggots and taking the advice you all gave me, sadly the fish didn't seem too keen on the maggies, but were falling over themselves to take a worm tipped with a single caster.
Maybe I didn't flavour them right or maybe it was just not what the fish wanted on the day.
I shall try the pineapple flavouring as I like to experiment, after all thats what fishing is all about, thanks for all the tips.

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
SSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhh, about the Archie Braddocks book, it has nearly been forgotten about :)

What a read that is, and for those who are prepared to try out his theories!!!!!! It can change your fishing completely,,,It did me.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
The basic principle of Archie Braddocks experiments was, you had to find out what flavour worked on any particular venue, what worked on one might not work on another. He devoted himself to the flavouring of baits and kept a very precise record of everything he did from the flavours and quantities used to the conditions he fished in. This way if he found one particular flavour or combination of flavours that worked he could always reproduce it. Bob Nudd always said that if he hadn't learnt from Braddocks theories about flavouring he would never have been the successful match fisherman he is. He learned an awful lot of things from the carp fishermen and made no bones about this, they of course had used flavours for years before that but very few others ever used them.

A lot of people dismissed his theories as a load of codswollop but if you think about it nearly every bait that we use is flavoured in some way and most fishermen use them in one way or another. The use of halibut pellets instead of other pellets for barbel is a prime example of using a particular flavoured bait in preference to another, why? because they are proven fish catchers. His own brand of flavours are particularly good on rivers but I must admit I've never used them on pools.