catfish fish-in

Matty C

Reaction score
hi guys,

Ill post this on the predators forum too, so dont think Im posting in the wrong place..
I just remembered someone asking on the predators forum why no one does any catfish teach ins or fish in..

a fishing friend of mine, Evan as he is known on the forum, made me aware of Furnace Lakes fisheries, of which has some good catfish in, as well as alot of big carp in the same lake as the cats.

http://www.fisheries.co.uk/furnacelakes/index.htm

theres the link if you wanna have a look for yourselves.

This could be the beginning of a "planning" thread, although its primerilly just to see how many people, if any, are interested..

If anyone is interested n wants to help or see about planning it, just say so n we can see what happens..

I dont pretend to be a catfish expert.. Ive never fished for them nor caught one, so any experianced people willing to help teach would be great..

If this does turn out to be a planning thread, as the swims are limited, only 14 pegs in total, itll have to be a first come first serve basis I guess.. theres a good few other lakes on the complex though that have carp in, so if youre a little late getting off the blocks n miss the catfish, feel free to come n bash for some carp on a diff lake..
also, if the cats go quiet during the day, theres a good opportunity to wander to a diff lake n stalk some carp off the top or something..

Well there you go.. just an idea.. have a look see n lets see what happens..

Matt

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
matt,it was me who enquired about a catfish teach/fish in.budgie who posts on this site is a top catfish chappie, said he would help out etc... but was unable to sort out venues etc....at this time.it may be worth sending him a message and seeing what you can come up with etc....
i would definately be up for it!!!

njb51

Reaction score
I've fished furnace lakes - caught my pb carp from there, just over 24lbs.

I don't think you are allowed to wonder over to another lake though, you have to stick to the one you pay for, Matt.

captain carrott

Reaction score
Can they move over land then?

only by swimming or being carried at night.

njb51

Reaction score
I remember seeing on some tv show that catfish can move across land by wiggling and using their fins.

they showed one doing it too, it was pretty small though, and not big and fat.

Matty C

Reaction score
Ill phone the club at some point when we know whats going on, and ask if wandering is allowed.. I dont see why not.. on the site it says Roman lake is one of the more expensive lakes, so if I wanna pay for a Roman lake ticket, n the fish a cheaper lake, I dont see why I shouldnt be able to.. but Ill ask none the less.. I seem to remember John Wilson being able to on Go Fishing one show when he went there I think.. n if its good enough for John, Ill be damned if I cant do it.. . haha

Ill give Budgie a poke n see what he's doing..

I thought about it afterwards that being all the way down here in the south east, I appreciate not everyone, especially those from midlands of further a field will be able to make it.. but as with limited pegs, that might be fine..

As said, Ill ask around n see whats going on..

Cheers for the help though guys, much appreciated..

Ill write your name down Chris if this is all gunna go ahead..

is anyone else that posted interested, or were they merely informative posts ?

Cheers guys,
all the best

Matt

Matty C

Reaction score
I dont see why not emmo.. as it says on the site, the gear needs to be stepped up a bit.. but with some heavier line and you coul probably get away with a 2.75 tc rod..

Dates wise, I was thinking somewhere around late july to mid sept.. try and get some of the hotter nicer weather.. unless of course anyone with more experiance than I seems to think any other time would be better.. ? Any help given will be greatful..

Cheers guys..

p.s. Ill write your name down too Nick, and your emmo..

9 spots left as of right now guys

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
I'm still interested, as posted on the other thread - this could get complicated having two threads running.

Matty C

Reaction score
lol very true Mark.. Im already having to blip back n forth.. maybe I should scrap one of them n just concentrate on one thread..

Ill write your name down too Mark..

8 spots left..

B

Budgie Burgess

As said Im up for it.Can bring tackle and slide show if wanted?

C

Chris Bishop

Matty,

I've killed the other thread as it was getting a bit confusing.

Get Budgie on board, lot of experience on offer there.

CB

C

Christian Tyroll

Any ideas on when and i take it we will reserve places so we dont turn up just to have to come home again lol?

This is going to be an expensive trip for me, paying for 3 rods and only using 1(only own 1 rod suitable).
But should be good anyway if it goes ahead and hopefully , maybe, i will catch a catfish!
Or if the catchfish really dont want to play, then i dont mind a nuisence 50lb carp .....

Matty C

Reaction score
cheers Chris..

I was looking to see if I could kill it..

Ill write your name down too budgie.. yours too Jonny..

Budgie.. do you think itll be best to maybe find out who needs what in the way of tackle before you go lugging it all around.. or do you just wanna chuck whatever you want in the car n see who needs it once we get there.. ? Also, slides wise, that would be nice n helpful, however, I dunno where we would do it.. as far as my thinking had took me, we would be bivvied up on the lake side for the weekend.. unless the complex has somewhere we can do it.. ? Ill phone n ask..

Cheers for all the help you can offer though budgie.. We will all be forever in your debt.. if we catch one ! haha

cheers guys
Matt

Matty C

Reaction score
Budgie.. do you think late July to Mid sept will be a good time of year.. ?

If so, let me know n Ill get onto the fishery n see what I can do in the way of booking the lake for the weekend, provided I can garuntee there will be atleast 14 of us there..

Chris, I have 5 3lb TC rods at My desposal.. being that I will probably be using 3 if Im paying for 3, youre welcome to use the other 2 if need be... Also Budge is offering to lend some tackle if its needed.. I have a number of reels, with 15lb line, and again, youre welcome to use them of you need to..

The only thing that will need to be sorted out by each person is terminal tackle I think.. Rigs n what have you.. We'll need to ask budgie what kind of rigs n stuff should be used..

Over to you budgie..

Cheers again
Matt

C

Christian Tyroll

thats brilliant Matt i wasnt really expecting that, so thanks.
i would love to take the offer on 1 of the rods and reels but im sure someone else will need one of the other ones!
summer holiday dates are always a bit ify for me so im just hoping a lucky date is picked! sooner the better really on a proposed descision so i get stuck on the calender!
it gives some advice on the site on what baits to use , although that is 3 years out of date!
but between 14 people (24+ rods) i reckon were bound to catch atleast one fish!

Matty C

Reaction score
no worries Chris,

as said, youre welcome to as much as is avail on my part.. obviously, if someone else is only stuck with one rod, then sharing would be the best plan of action, but if all goes well, it should be fine for you to use whatever you need..

Date wise, Ill let Budgie have a think n let me know what dates would be best for fishing.. From my understanding, cats like it hot n humid, so thats why I suggested late july to mid sept.. giving us most of August to play around with..
thats my thinking anyways, but if Budgie has any other ideas, we'll see what we can do with changing them, but as you said, the sooner a decision is made, its better for everyone so it can be put on the calender..