Marsh Farm

barbelboi

Reaction score
I've yet to fish the venue this season but have heard today that Steve from Apollo has closed the tackle shop down and that there are ‘other problems’???. Bit of a shot out the blue - I know there are some venue regulars on board...any comments in respect of the above from those in the know would be appreciated.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Fished it last Thursday and Steve was on top form and loading the shelves with new stock!

Where did you hear that?

barbelboi

Reaction score
From an acquaintance who was given the news by his local tackle shop when he discussed where he was going tomorrow. He ’ phoned me tonight to see if I had heard anything. I was hoping this was untrue as from previous threads you probably realise that I have been a fan of the Farm for some years since the Summer Pit went pear shaped.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I hope not too. I found the shop good and well stocked and for the type of fishery it is, I think it's just about as good as it gets.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Well, Apollo was separate from GAS Marsh Farm although I assume Apollo paid rent and certainly handled the tickets and match organisation.

Steve is a fine fella and it would be very sad if it's come to an end.

His fairly recent expansion (probably x3 the original size) was a surprise to me but it was always very well stocked.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Let’s hope this is not the case. As you say Steve was OK and would always take the time to order anything you might require at a favourable price.
This ‘rumour/fact’? originated from a tackle shop that I do not personally use so it is difficult to assess. However the acquaintance is a reliable person and would not spread gossip – this would be what he was told. Hopefully untrue.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Patchy! I've fished it a couple of times recently (Harris Lake) and have yet to have a Crucian although I've seen several fish netted to 3:08ish.

Thursday was hard but fun. I chose to fish only with chopped worm and waited and waited and... finally had a couple of nice Tench to about 5lb which went really well on light pole gear. Also had two Rudd and two Roach, all four were knocking on 1lb, beautiful fish!

barbelboi

Reaction score
Well this isn’t going too well - still no news is good news (so they say) – I was hoping someone could shoot this down as untrue. Possible The Indifferent Crue might be able to help when he comes on line?

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I was talking to someone last week who said that Apollo in Byfleet had shut up shop.

A bit of a shock to me as I spoke to them just 2 months ago and was hoping they'd sell our day tickets come the season. Can anyone confirm they have closed?

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
I'd love to know where this silly rumour started?

I shall be going in to work tomorrow, as I do every Sunday, and I expect I might speak to Phil in the Byfleet store. Sometimes we take in stock that needs to be diverted to him, sometimes he's got something we need urgently.

Business has never been so good......ah!....

Perhaps that's why the rumour started?

Quite a few people have been down to Marsh Farm lately, and written it upon blogs, photos uploaded and the like. Is someone resentful?

I should point out that I am a member of Godalming Angling Society, and have been for some years, whereas I've only recently started working for Steve Moore who owns both Apollo Tackle shops. The two are separate entities, inspite of what one angling journalist wrote last year.

So I sort of wear two hats, happily without conflict, we're all just anglers together after all.

Sadly, Godalming Angling Society has had some appalling news this weekend just passed. Our long-time membership secretary, Bernard Miles ,passed away after a long and determined fight against encroaching illness. Perhaps this is why no one from GAS has been on the forum to speak so far.

Active to the very last, Bernard will be sorely missed both as a member and an officer of the Club. His hard work and cheerful demeanor were an example to us all. Would that I had his fortitude and resilience.

My commiserations go to Bernard's family in this sad, sad time.

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm afraid news of our demise has been greatly exagerated, we're still open both at Marsh Farm and in Byfleet. In fact if current sales keep going this will be our best year ever. Byfleet has exceeded expectations and we have no intention of closing in fact we're running out of wall space for the ever increasing new stock.

I only found this thread after a chap that works in the shop called me, but thanks for the kind words, we are trying to be the best tackle shop in Surrey hence the expansion and additional stock at Marsh.

Just to let you know there isn't a product from Korda we don't carry and this week we introduced Marukyu, Cotswold Bait, Tiger Baits and the new Drennan range of method feeders and moulds. The New Grange carp baits from bait-tech are also now in stock (Is it me or do they smell like ice cream wafer?).

Well thats my free plug out of the way

Give me a call if you would like an update on any of the lakes

Steve, Apollo Angling Centre

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Dam, and I was formulating an offer for the bankrupt stock! Did like those shocking pink Method Moulds!

Good news Steve, but very bad news about Bernard. I've said it many times, GAS should be congratulated on what they have achieved as a club. I might even join in the next couple of weeks!
:D

barbelboi

Reaction score
Thanks for putting things straight Steve

---------- Post added at 15:03 ---------- Previous post was at 14:54 ----------

I'd love to know where this silly rumour started?

I shall be going in to work tomorrow, as I do every Sunday, and I expect I might speak to Phil in the Byfleet store. Sometimes we take in stock that needs to be diverted to him, sometimes he's got something we need urgently.

Business has never been so good......ah!....

Perhaps that's why the rumour started?

Quite a few people have been down to Marsh Farm lately, and written it upon blogs, photos uploaded and the like. Is someone resentful?

I should point out that I am a member of Godalming Angling Society, and have been for some years, whereas I've only recently started working for Steve Moore who owns both Apollo Tackle shops. The two are separate entities, inspite of what one angling journalist wrote last year.

So I sort of wear two hats, happily without conflict, we're all just anglers together after all.

Sadly, Godalming Angling Society has had some appalling news this weekend just passed. Our long-time membership secretary, Bernard Miles ,passed away after a long and determined fight against encroaching illness. Perhaps this is why no one from GAS has been on the forum to speak so far.

Active to the very last, Bernard will be sorely missed both as a member and an officer of the Club. His hard work and cheerful demeanor were an example to us all. Would that I had his fortitude and resilience.

My commiserations go to Bernard's family in this sad, sad time.

I'll be seeing the fellow that 'phoned me with this tripe tomorrow as he has aborted MF on account of the info given at this tackle shop and is now fishing the same Intertype water as me. After getting more details from him I will PM you the tackle shop name if you so require.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I'm afraid news of our demise has been greatly exagerated,
Great!.

Who starts these rumours? The chap I spoke swore black and blue he was right, a total cretin by all accounts. He was on an Intertype water - wonder if he's trying to blag some extra business! :cool: :cool: :eek:mg:

Well Steve, I will be in touch with you fairly soon about the Wey Nav.

Do you stock Demon Baits Soft Feed pellets by any chance? Been on them today and l-o-v-e them! Make up a nice paste as well.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks Barbelboi, theres no need to name and shame we've heard the rumours plenty of times before. We pride ourselves on great service, great stock and good bacon rolls and coffee, not knocking our opposition.

tight lines

Steve

Nathan Walter

Reaction score
Steve does that mean you haven't got any closing down, massively discounted give away stock then? So I'll still be spending far too much money in your shop!

Sorry to hear about Bernard. Only spoke to him on odd occasions, but always helpful.

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
Good Morning Nathan, by this time Steve will have been up 2 hours ago and off to buy fresh bait so that he will definitely have some for tomorrows matches, I doubt he'll get a chance to check into the forum today.

Sorry, no bankrupt stock, but I could do you a deal an a 7 metre margin pole missing its top two????

Neil, so you did make it over last week...how did you do?

Dave Slater

Reaction score
I phoned the shop this morning to check these rumours out as I fished there last Friday and spoke to Steve over the phone on Sunday.
I spoke to Bob in the shop and he confirmed that the rumours were nonsense and I said I would enter a post to that effect. He also confirmed that there were no problems with the lakes.
The only problem I have found with the lakes this year is that the tench have been very dominant, which has made the crucian fishing more difficult. I have, however, managed a few decent crucians to 3-5 despite this. I have lost count of the vast numbers of tench I have caught by accident there this year but they include some good ones including a couple of "eights", the last one witnessed by Patrick the bailiff and the other one by Nathan.
I would have been devastated if the rumours had been true as it is an excellent and well stocked shop and it is good to have somewhere to phone for up to date and honest advice. The staff are all very friendly and Steve certainly knows what is going on there.
Marsh Farm is probably my favourite fishery and I hope it never has any problems. Unfortunately I am not able to go there as often as I would like as it involves a 150 mile round trip. I cannot get there this week but will be back for a couple of sessions the following week.
Whoever started the rumours you are a total ****.
I was sorry to read the very sad news about Bernard. I am sure he will be greatly missed as GAS is such a well run club.

Last edited: