Help wanted...

David Craine

Reaction score
In about 18 months I will be joining he ranks of the great unemployed...in that I am retiring..Ho Ho Ho...
It was my intention to up sticks and go to Australia, but the Aussie Government changed the retirement visa Rules, and as I am not a Millionaire the place is effectivley out of bounds so far as residence is concerned..we have decided that Europe is the next option, having checked out Spain and Italy, nice though they are, not suitable, Portugal is a possibility, a visit is on the cards...getting to the subject, I tried a Google search on Barbel fishing in France, with very little success, it seems that the world is obsessed with Carp,and as I dont fish for pigs with fins,the websites were not much use could anybody help out with any info..
Many thanks.

Dave Craine.

T

Tony Rocca

Loads of barbel in Spain Portugal and France.
The French live in France too though.

Its going to be Spain for me.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
The south of France or Spain either will do, especially as you qualify for free medical treatment which is a big asset when you get older. Personally I would opt for Spain away from the madding holiday crowds within easy reach of the Ebro but its a personal thing I guess.

Robbie H

Reaction score
Try contacting the tourist boards. Very helpful when i was planning my fishing tour of europe.
Ebro property is getting expensive these days, as many english and germans are moving there. I personally would opt for portugal, cheaper than spain.

Richard Wilson 3

Reaction score
I no a river David that is full of barbel, it as great country side around it , it as fast bits,slow bits and not alot of people fish it! Do you want to no what it is? ITS OUR VERY OWN RIVER TRENT.There is no reason to move abroad,my mate sold his fishery,went to Spain and 5 months later he is back in old Blitey wishing he had not bothered.I sometimes think about moving but no mate,there is no place like home.

B

Budgie Burgess

Im not a great lover of Iberian Barbel so it would be France for me.

What I loved so much about the area I used to live in was the variety of fishing within that area.Big river,small river,cannals (big and small) and still waters of all sizes.In facts a life times worth of fishing in a 15 mile radius!

I spent many many years just regarding France as some where I had to drive through to get to Spain! but once I spent a few years there I really got into the place and its people.The fishing is superb.Keep out in the rural areas away from the big towns and the lifestyle is so relaxed,theft/crime virtualy non existant.You make the effort and the locals will soon accept you.Even the Garde de peche aint so bad when they get to know you!

David Craine

Reaction score
Thanks for the imput lads, Budgie, would you mind letting me know the area you are talking about.I have had similar reports as yours from neighbours and friends re the rural life in France.

B

Budgie Burgess

I lived right on the banks of the Saone near a small village called Pont de Vaux.Its just off Route N6 between Tournous and Macon.A nice area with great fishing and nice people.Despite being a truly "rural" area you are still a comfortable drive from both Macon and Chalon sur la Saone if you need to go in to a bigger town.Property prices are still reasonable in the area (unlike a lot of other French "fishing" areas where the invading Brits/Dutch have more than trebled the prices in recent years)

Im sure just one of many similar areas though.If it hadnt been for the decline in the cat fishing I would still be there.And thats due to financial reasons rather than fishing ones as the rest of the fishing there is still superb.

M

mark williams 4

There is no shartage of barbel in French rivers, from Normandy south. Most of the rivers are controlled by, ostensibly, trout clubs but many are any-method.

As far as I can tell, nobody fishes for barbel in France, or at leaast, nobody writes about it....

David Craine

Reaction score
Thanks Budgie, and Mark.. more help than I could wish for in just 4 days..I"ll be checking this stuff out soon.

Robbie H

Reaction score
This months CF landed on the door mat yesterday. Contains an article about Barbel in europe. Might be worth a gander.