Canal Fishing - is it falling out of favour?

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score

It seems that anglers on FM either fish rivers or stillwaters but very few mention canals

There is a stretch of the Chesterfield canal that has been cleaned up and restored - I've seen a few fishing it and catching small fish but there are miles with no one fishing

Are canals not fished much because there aren't the big fish that are in rivers (barbel, chub) or stillwater (carp, tench)?

Reaction score
Look, I've mentioned this hundreds of times on FM.

The reason people don't fish canals much is because there is nowhere to go for a poo. There is seldom any cover t hide behind. So, unless you are a dog, you effectively have to drop your load on the towpath, which is somewhat uncouth.

beerweasel

Reaction score
Look, I've mentioned this hundreds of times on FM.

The reason people don't fish canals much is because there is nowhere to go for a poo. There is seldom any cover t hide behind. So, unless you are a dog, you effectively have to drop your load on the towpath, which is somewhat uncouth.

Don,t C.C.C.C have any products that would help ?

neil_146

Reaction score
Good Day My Lord,

On the GUC around where I live, canal fishing is fast becoming a winter-only sport. This is largely due to the level of boat use from Easter to October. Also the number of live aboard (non)continuous cruisers makes life difficult, as they moor up around any canal bridge, parking their cars up more or less permanently, making parking for anglers anywhere close to canal access near impossible.

Pegging matches especially in Summer is difficult as there is hardly a decent length of towpath without moored boats. considering that we anglers are the only users of the towpath that pay for the priviledge it strikes me as strange that we seem to have to fight for the right to be there against the cyclists and dog walkers.

Despite all that the winter fishing makes up for it all, even during the big freeze I was able to find spots on the canal that remained ice-free so I could get my weekly fix.

Neil_146

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've probably only fished a canal twice in the best part of thirty years. I don't know of a canal worthy of the name within fifty miles of home and I can't see much point in driving past umpteen good rivers and stillwaters to get to one.

dezza

Reaction score
You lot obviously have not heard of the all new seat box commode marketed by Tickle Tackle. It is ideal for use on canals and open stretches of river next to populated areas.

Known as the "Shox", the seat combines a pee and stool hole together with a box for the storage of pole rigs and other tackle items. Make sure you keep your tackle away from the stool hole otherwise you can end up with a brown member.

Shox has a RRP of £495.99 however it is being launched at a special price of £486.00. Order now as demand is likely to be high.

barbelboi

Reaction score
There is part of the GU about 8 miles from me called the Langley stretch of the Slough Arm and there are some very big carp and tench along this stretch as well as the usual residents. There is a line of almost permanently moored narrow boats (one side only) which, of course provide cover and a holding ground for fish of most species – particularly in the winter when the heat of the boilers ups the water temperature. Away from the boats the canal is unused for boat traffic in one direction towards Slough and is very ‘wild’ with plenty of pads, etc., this is where the big fish may be found during the warmer months and involves stalking. The problem is parking as the access bridge is surrounded by Industrial Estates (private parking or double yellows) (on Sundays you could park but your car wouldn’t be the same when you returned). In fact there is virtually no safe parking to my knowledge within a reasonable distance. This, and many other stretches in the area are little fished due to not being able to park safely. I have safe parking on club rivers and still waters which makes the idea of canal fishing not a top priority.

Last edited:

beerweasel

Reaction score
When you think about it,the Fen Drain System is a series of canals (man made usually with a lock or sluice at each end ). There can't be a predator angler in the country who does not think it's a Pike,Zander,Perch and Eel Nirvana.

noknot

Reaction score
Yes a very long cast indeed! But it is true! I have the pic's;)
And no LPaul no where near as many fish for them compaired to stock ponds, as it is real Carp angling! Which sadly is a lost art today in the UK, as every chav and his dog seem to be Carp anglers, or think they are.
Anyone can buy the gear today and fish an overstocked muddy hole in the ground for pale iseped looking Carp, but not many would last a season on a "real" Carp water........

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Yes a very long cast indeed! But it is true! I have the pic's;)
And no LPaul no where near as many fish for them compaired to stock ponds, as it is real Carp angling! Which sadly is a lost art today in the UK, as every chav and his dog seem to be Carp anglers, or think they are.
Anyone can buy the gear today and fish an overstocked muddy hole in the ground for pale iseped looking Carp, but not many would last a season on a "real" Carp water........

No offence mate but I see this attitude all over fishing forums - you're not a real angler unless you have spent a gazillion years fishing , were taught by Richard Walker and have a degree in watercraft. I only started fishing 18 months ago - I have done a lot of reading , asked a lot of questions on forums , and put a lot of time in on canals. I have had a few tench to 6lbs , a couple of pike ( accidental to 5lb ) , millions of roach and skimmers and a perch that I'm convinced was 4lb plus, very rewarding , especially from a canal but I'd rather spend a day endlessly catching easy carp , because fishing is meant to be fun and catching is fun maybe in a couple of years the joy of catching similar carp over and over might wane , but not so far.

All the commercials I fish are very picturesque - Furnace Mill, Hamstell and Coppice Lane.

As for canals I have seen motorbike confiscations , drug busts , endless chavs on mopeds , a dog turd in every peg , chavs on quad bikes , been offered white cider at 8:00 in the morning and a guy who told me there were sturgeon under the bridge.

Oh and why does everyone insist on telling you if they have seen a fish on the surface - like you are going to get up and move every time.

noknot

Reaction score
Oooooh out of the bait box then? I sugest you come back in a few years time and post a reply, by then you may, just may have learnt what fishing is all about. Fun? Enjoy!

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
That post needs a gold star. If it had mentioned that "you're not a proper angler if you decide to stay in a nice warm house rather freeze in sub zero temps" and debunked that as well, it would have been a gold star with crossed swords and oakleaves.

---------- Post added at 12:43 ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 ----------

jimmy crackedcorn said:
That post needs a gold star. If it had mentioned that "you're not a proper angler if you decide to stay in a nice warm house rather freeze in sub zero temps" and debunked that as well, it would have been a gold star with crossed swords and oakleaves.

Sorry noknot I didn't mean yours.......

This is a bit awkward.

barbelboi

Reaction score
but I'd rather spend a day endlessly catching easy carp , because fishing is meant to be fun and catching is fun maybe in a couple of years the joy of catching similar carp over and over might wane , but not so far.

Very true, fishing is ment to be fun, but what is fun to one "endlessly catching easy carp" would be boring to another if both fishing to their abilities.;)

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Oooooh out of the bait box then? I sugest you come back in a few years time and post a reply, by then you may, just may have learnt what fishing is all about. Fun? Enjoy!

To be honest I admire someone who puts any effort in to exceed at something difficult.

The first commercial my son and I went to - we both blanked , not a nice feeling for any parent. Six months later we went back to the same place and caught some decent carp, a year later I managed a 100 lb plus over the day and my son had a ton up in an afternoon, so by reading and effort we had improved.

you said

you may, just may have learnt what fishing is all about.

Honestly I understand what you mean , I Know never going to be a great angler but fishing lets me spend time with my Lads who are all grown up now and about to fly the nest, so being the worlds best angler isn't what its all about for some. Its just irksome to be constantly reminded by some that the fish we catch have no worth.

woody

Very Elderly Member
Banned
Reaction score
There is part of the GU about 8 miles from me called the Langley stretch of the Slough Arm and there are some very big carp and tench along this stretch
All from Savay lake too!

I used to fish this years ago for the tench. Our works backed onto it and the IT staff took it in turns to go in on a Sundays to do the backups. Dead easy, start up the computer, load a tape, start the back up, shut the door and go fishing for 5 hours - and get paid for it!

I still have a ticket for it, because of the other stuff Barbelboi mentions, it's not worth it. Mind you, if I took my car there now they'd probably do me a favour by setting fire to it. :)