Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Canal Fishing - is it falling out of favour?

It seems that anglers on FM either fish rivers or stillwaters but very few mention canals

There is a stretch of the Chesterfield canal that has been cleaned up and restored - I've seen a few fishing it and catching small fish but there are miles with no one fishing

Are canals not fished much because there aren't the big fish that are in rivers (barbel, chub) or stillwater (carp, tench)?
    PaSC British by birth, English by the grace of God
    I got the devil in my blood,Telling' me what to do
    (And I'm all ears), Britain's premier bread angler

Default Re: Canal Fishing - is it falling out of favour?

Look, I've mentioned this hundreds of times on FM.

The reason people don't fish canals much is because there is nowhere to go for a poo. There is seldom any cover t hide behind. So, unless you are a dog, you effectively have to drop your load on the towpath, which is somewhat uncouth.
    PaSC Junior Development Officer ><((((°>

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cholmondeley-Corker (PaSC) View Post
    Look, I've mentioned this hundreds of times on FM.

The reason people don't fish canals much is because there is nowhere to go for a poo. There is seldom any cover t hide behind. So, unless you are a dog, you effectively have to drop your load on the towpath, which is somewhat uncouth.
    Don,t C.C.C.C have any products that would help ?
    PaSC Failed Club

I don't mind fishing canals, it's just they are a fair way to travel to, that's all.

Good Day My Lord,

On the GUC around where I live, canal fishing is fast becoming a winter-only sport. This is largely due to the level of boat use from Easter to October. Also the number of live aboard (non)continuous cruisers makes life difficult, as they moor up around any canal bridge, parking their cars up more or less permanently, making parking for anglers anywhere close to canal access near impossible.

Pegging matches especially in Summer is difficult as there is hardly a decent length of towpath without moored boats. considering that we anglers are the only users of the towpath that pay for the priviledge it strikes me as strange that we seem to have to fight for the right to be there against the cyclists and dog walkers.

Despite all that the winter fishing makes up for it all, even during the big freeze I was able to find spots on the canal that remained ice-free so I could get my weekly fix.

Neil_146

I've probably only fished a canal twice in the best part of thirty years. I don't know of a canal worthy of the name within fifty miles of home and I can't see much point in driving past umpteen good rivers and stillwaters to get to one.

Blog Entries

You lot obviously have not heard of the all new seat box commode marketed by Tickle Tackle. It is ideal for use on canals and open stretches of river next to populated areas.

Known as the "Shox", the seat combines a pee and stool hole together with a box for the storage of pole rigs and other tackle items. Make sure you keep your tackle away from the stool hole otherwise you can end up with a brown member.

Shox has a RRP of £495.99 however it is being launched at a special price of £486.00. Order now as demand is likely to be high.

The RMC has Carp to over 40+

There is part of the GU about 8 miles from me called the Langley stretch of the Slough Arm and there are some very big carp and tench along this stretch as well as the usual residents. There is a line of almost permanently moored narrow boats (one side only) which, of course provide cover and a holding ground for fish of most species – particularly in the winter when the heat of the boilers ups the water temperature. Away from the boats the canal is unused for boat traffic in one direction towards Slough and is very ‘wild’ with plenty of pads, etc., this is where the big fish may be found during the warmer months and involves stalking. The problem is parking as the access bridge is surrounded by Industrial Estates (private parking or double yellows) (on Sundays you could park but your car wouldn’t be the same when you returned). In fact there is virtually no safe parking to my knowledge within a reasonable distance. This, and many other stretches in the area are little fished due to not being able to park safely. I have safe parking on club rivers and still waters which makes the idea of canal fishing not a top priority.
    Last edited by barbelboi; 23-05-2011 at 13:49.
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

noknot - yes good fish but is it fished as much as a commercial carp lake?
    PaSC British by birth, English by the grace of God
    I got the devil in my blood,Telling' me what to do
    (And I'm all ears), Britain's premier bread angler

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast