Soft hook pellets - How to make your own?

rockangler

Reaction score
Soft hook pellets - How to make your own?
Has anyone tried that? Do you know what special ingredient is required so they remain soft?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
water............ they are made on a machine like a sausage machine and have fibres running through them like the writing in seaside rock. Maybe tricky to make at home . Always hook them through the curved side not the blunt ends.

rockangler

Reaction score
It is certain that they are made on a machine like a sausage machine
What I want to know is what keeps them soft.

nicky

Reaction score
i use hard pellets similar to skrettings and soak them in a very strong mixture of water and gelatin make great bait for the waggler

rockangler

Reaction score
i use hard pellets similar to skrettings and soak them in a very strong mixture of water and gelatin make great bait for the waggler

any JELL-O product or you are using something else?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
looks like nobody knows how they make them stay soft, maybe it's a trade secret. Water and gelatine seem feasible to me but the manufacturers don't tend to tell anyone....

A

alan whittington

Im sorry,but in my opinion,unless small fish are a real pain(then i'd use a hard pellet on a band),its expanders for me,on waggler,slider,pole or feeder,ive had no problems,using 'Van den Eynde' marine expanders(but whatever you prefer) in conjunction with a pellet pump,flavouring can be added,most say at the time of pumping,but i,if i flavour them,put a small amount of flavour in a bait box,with just enough water to cover your pumped pellets,i find this seeps in just as well in my view.

guest61

Reaction score
Im sorry,but in my opinion,unless small fish are a real pain(then i'd use a hard pellet on a band),its expanders for me,on waggler,slider,pole or feeder,ive had no problems,using 'Van den Eynde' marine expanders(but whatever you prefer) in conjunction with a pellet pump,flavouring can be added,most say at the time of pumping,but i,if i flavour them,put a small amount of flavour in a bait box,with just enough water to cover your pumped pellets,i find this seeps in just as well in my view.

Yes, totally agree with this, and the Van den Eynde, for me, produce a better bait.

I thought that the thread was going to produce a novel method of making pellets for the hook. but it seems that you buy some pellets and follow the manufacturers instructions to make them soft.

A

alan whittington

Yes, totally agree with this, and the Van den Eynde, for me, produce a better bait.

I thought that the thread was going to produce a novel method of making pellets for the hook. but it seems that you buy some pellets and follow the manufacturers instructions to make them soft.

You can use gelatine and flavourings if you like,i feel that the gelatine slows the leakage from the pellet,thus making it less attractive.

nicky

Reaction score
ive bagged up on pellets made with gelatine on many venues, once you get them feeding on the freebies which dont have gelatine added they are taken freely in my experience

A

alan whittington

ive bagged up on pellets made with gelatine on many venues, once you get them feeding on the freebies which dont have gelatine added they are taken freely in my experience

If your venues are that good,do me a favour and use hard pellets of the size your using on the band,it is almost certain you'll do just as good,but its cleaner and quicker.Nicky,i spent a long time on gelatine pellets(with lots of different pellets,flavours etc)and i caught well on them too,just feel the expander is best,but thats me.

nicky

Reaction score
im usually fishing small 4mm pellets for silvers I dont think you could band them for carp though im sure hard pellets are just as good,

A

alan whittington

Thats a different problem completely,when im using them,im trying to avoid roach(2-6ozs),im ok with skimmers up,but usually if small roach get on the feed,my day is ruined,if i was catching the roach on a stick float on the river it might be a different story,fishing is such a diverse sport,with differing targets for us to go at,amazing this hobby of ours.

dannytaylor

Reaction score
Another fan of the sonu baits s-pellets, VERY oily and continue to leak off attractors for a long time, there floating pellets are very good for floater fishing as well.

With RE to fishing with pellets i like to use the dynamite baits green koi pellets as feed and fish the same paste over the top been working well for me.

A

alan whittington

Another fan of the sonu baits s-pellets, VERY oily and continue to leak off attractors for a long time, there floating pellets are very good for floater fishing as well.

With RE to fishing with pellets i like to use the dynamite baits green koi pellets as feed and fish the same paste over the top been working well for me.

Danny,im curious,have you ever tried the natural dynamite pellets in the same fashion?