Method feeders in rivers

walney1956

Reaction score
I was just thinking of trying the method on the river this coming season so Daves question came just at the right time for me. I was wondering which method feeder people have used as there are plenty on the market. Cheers.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was just thinking of trying the method on the river this coming season so Daves question came just at the right time for me. I was wondering which method feeder people have used as there are plenty on the market. Cheers.

I've used drennan and korda method feeders.

Dave Slater

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. I will definately be giving it a try next season and I am optimistic. I think I will have to use the baitrunners to start with in case the bites are as savage as those on stillwaters.

Nigel Connor

Reaction score
Dave

I used method feeders to good effect on the Thames last winter when after barbel when the river was up.The groundbait mix was very stiff to ensure that I had a constant stream of minute particles / scent coming off the feeder to draw fish to me.

quickcedo

Reaction score
I must be honest, I don't see what the difference is, when used on a river, between a method feader and a cage or open ended feeder. The flow will take the particles away with either method. Hopefully leaving an enticing trail for the fish to follow.

watatoad

Reaction score
Method feeders work pretty well on our slow Suffolk Stour and I have been using a freebee one I got off a rare purchase of the Angling Times...hehehe

A

alan whittington

Nigel,it would depend on mix regardless,the method feeder can sometimes break its groundbaits grip and the lot disappears down the river,but not if it good stuff.

watatoad

Reaction score
Nigel,it would depend on mix regardless,the method feeder can sometimes break its groundbaits grip and the lot disappears down the river,but not if it good stuff.

Although doing such with a medium breaking groundbait mixed after much home experimentation release can be achieved at a chosen or particular level in the water better than using loose groundbait which often breaks on contact with the water or using a feeder which disperses on the bottom.

Cases where such can prove useful, weed cover to say a third, halfway or two thirds depth and a Bream shoal or a Roach shoal patrolling nearby coupled with raking the bottom and laying a carpet of bottom breaking groundbait. using this method it overcomes some of the problems of the groundbait dispersing into the weeds thereby stimulating feeding interest from further afield, Naturally flow must be taken into account.

In my humble experiment I achieved this by the use of a recirculating water pump.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
I think for the method feeder to outscore a plain open ended feeder, it needs to incorporate it's most effective aspect, i.e. that a small pile of free offerings is left with your hookbait in the middle.

A few people on the thread have mentioned that the flow of the river will simply wash away the particles (exactly as would happen with a open feeder) and you then simply have a short hooklength left with your bait on it. However, the most important aspect of making this work would then surely be the weight/ density of the bait used? Sure, a groundbait mix is just going to wash off and flow downstream... but what if your method mix consists purely of soaked/ softened 8mm pellets - and your bait is a 12 or 14 mm drilled pellet or boilie? I think in all but the fastest flows, this would breakdown in a fairly small pile around the feeder and stay put (at least for a while).

Eventually the pellets will start to dissolve and ultimately dislodge - but probably not for at least 20mins? Long enough for me!

This definitely works on the thames - slow flowing admmitedly...

A

alan whittington

Hi Jim,even on the Thames in summer the lock movement moves ANY bait and the only way to combat this is to cast very regularly with maybe a medium sized feeder,ive found that very often fish are caught early in the session,before the feed drifts downstream,a cage or open ender,with plugs of small soaked pellets,with larger 6-8mm dry pellets works best,soaked pellets seem to gain a little bouyancy the wetter they get,so dry is best for me.

watatoad

Reaction score
Sorry might have missed saying I tend to fish the slow flowing rivers of East Anglia.

I use the method feeder as a way of getting a very small amount of bait to drift down the river almost like a more controlled cloud bait, then a simple change of mix and it will slowly disperse on the bottom with my hookbait. For me the advantage over the open end feeder is getting a release of groundbait higher up in the water when I want it which an open ended feeder does not allow.

Nigel Connor

Reaction score
Jim

In winter I would not want any feed items other than the hook bait in the swim.The stream of grounbait particles/scent is designed to pull the fish from downstream onto the bait.

In summer I would agree with you and would use an open end.

---------- Post added at 10:56 ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 ----------

Alan re the mix, I played a double to the net and most of it was still attached!

A

alan whittington

Jim

In winter I would not want any feed items other than the hook bait in the swim.The stream of grounbait particles/scent is designed to pull the fish from downstream onto the bait.

In summer I would agree with you and would use an open end.

---------- Post added at 10:56 ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 ----------

Alan re the mix, I played a double to the net and most of it was still attached!

Your mix is of a very slow breakdown variety,to be fair i wonder sometimes in those conditions,a blockend with small holes and 6mm pellets would be better,no release of food,but smell in abundance.

Reaction score
hi guys,

Was on the Ribble lst night, hd a 5-3 barbel, not big I know. I caught this and more in the past using a method feeder, don't use below 3oz though as it will move. I have also found that by having the rod at maybe 60 degrees rather that straight up works better. I use a small white neutrally bouyant pellet for bait on a short 4" link. Don't use anything less than 10lb mono/flouro or braid for hooklength as the bites are savage and either have the baitrunner on or keep your foot on the butt or it could be bye-bye £200 worth of gear. Tight lines anyway.

B

binka

I've been using the big 90grm ESP method feeders on the river for over a year now, I still fish a long'ish tail of 4' or so and remove the semi-fixed quick link and replace with a swivel and bead to make it free running.

I prefer the flatter profile and believe it helps prevent the feeder from rolling especially when used with highly compressed soaked pellets that will take a good twenty to thirty minutes to break down and clear the feeder even in very strong flows.