Method feeders in rivers

Dave Slater

Reaction score
Method feeders can be very effective in stillwaters. I have never tried them in rivers as I have tended to stick with methods that have worked well for me in the past. I am considering giving them a try during the coming season on my local rivers as I think they could be very effective for chub and barbel.
Does anybody have experience of using them in rivers?

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
None whatsoever, Dave. However, this coming season I shall be trying some giant open end feeders with a specially heavy mix made so it bursts out, flows 1ft downstream to sit (hopefully) around my hookbait.

No reason why method feeders shouldn't work though. Let us know how you get on.

sam vimes

Reaction score
No reason why a method feeder won't work in a river provided your bait mix is stiff enough to withstand the flow until it gets to the riverbed. It's also unlikely that it'll work in the same manner as it does on a stillwater. A short hooklink is likely to see your hookbait presented in spendid isolation upstream of a trail of particles rather than the pile of bait that it would sit in on a stillwater.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I can't see it being any more effective in a river than a cage feeder or PVA bag. As mentioned, the pellet/groundbait mix would wash away downstream in the same way as it does using conventional methods. The method feeder would simply be a vehicle for holding bottom. I hope you prove me wrong though Dave.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've used a method feeder in the river for several years now when fishing for larger species and have had good results.

guest61

Reaction score
I've thought of using a method feeder in a river; what has put me off is the casting weight. The combined weight of a feeder to hold bottom plus the weight of the bait assuming that it remains as a method feeder 'pushes the envelope' of my gear.

Didn't Matt Hayes perform this whilst trying to catch Barbel in the Great Rod Race? Yes he did!....YouTube - ‪Great Rod Race: Barbel Part 1/2‬‏ approx (4:40mins in)

I might revisit this in the new season.

A

alan whittington

I believe its well used on the Trent,especially with scolded pellet,its far more effective than pva,especially if you've watched Bob Roberts and Stu Walker,but there you go.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
How did you prevent the method feeder from rolling around in the current/flow?

I'd say that's pretty much impossible but it hasn't been a problem anyhow. As I said i've used it for a few years now and it's produced well for me. Remember to use a short hooklength... I use a hooklength of 2 to 6 inches.

William Pastuszka

Reaction score
I'd say that's pretty much impossible but it hasn't been a problem anyhow. As I said i've used it for a few years now and it's produced well for me. Remember to use a short hooklength... I use a hooklength of 2 to 6 inches.

Cheers, I'll be having a dabble in the new season.:)

sam vimes

Reaction score
Damned big cage feeders for me on the Trent. Generally speaking you need far bigger and heavier feeders than the commercially available flat bed method feeders I've encountered.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Cheers, I'll be having a dabble in the new season.:)

My method mix is just brown crumb, trout pellets, sweetcorn, hemp and maggots, also a few boilies or halibut pellets. I don't always put all those bits in, often it's just the crumb , corn and maggots etc. Sometimes I wrap/ squeeze the mix around a handfull of maggots so they crawl out through the mix slowly.

Good luck Bill :)

Last edited:

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
My method mix is just brown crumb, trout pellets, sweetcorn, hemp and maggots, also a few boilies or halibut pellets. I don't always put all those bits in, often it's just the crumb , corn and maggots etc. Sometimes I wrap/ squeeze the mix around a handfull of maggots so they crawl out through the mix slowly.
They say there's nothing new in fishing. Izzac Walton describes a similar barbel method as a clay ball full of worms and the hook bait and line all wrapped up in it. :)

flightliner

Reaction score
I was using it fairly often for Barbel on the Trent back in the mid nineties with varying degrees of success.
On one occasion I was using it when two guys arrived and began fishing opposite me using quivertips and link ledgers and when they saw me using groundbait they told me in no uncertain manner that I was spoiling their fishing (they didnt have to sit opposite me)as groundbait was the "kiss of death". After some half dozen barbel I think they got the message.

---------- Post added at 22:16 ---------- Previous post was at 22:12 ----------

They say there's nothing new in fishing. Izzac Walton describes a similar barbel method as a clay ball full of worms and the hook bait and line all wrapped up in it.
Same with luncheon meat geoff, Greaves was used as bait at least a century afore the yanks turned up with Spam.
Likewise with steak, anglers from Gainsboro were using it back in the mid-nineteenth century.

William Pastuszka

Reaction score

Good luck Bill :)

Thanks, tigger.:)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
They say there's nothing new in fishing. Izzac Walton describes a similar barbel method as a clay ball full of worms and the hook bait and line all wrapped up in it. :)

Your right Geoff, there probaly isn't much if anything that hasn't already been tried in angling. :)

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
The method feeder does work on rivers and it can be deadly on big rivers like the Trent. On smaller rivers I tend to squeeze the mix around my bait rather than around the feeder. This works fine for shorter casts but won't stand a big chuck. My mix for this method is a mix of small (4mm and 6mm) pellets of various types just covered by river water and left for a few minutes then dried off with dark method mix. This holds well around a hair rigged pellet or boilie and can be absolutely deadly.