Weir Pools

L

lil carper

I'm going to fish a weir pool this weekend and in the middle about 20 metres downstream from the actual weir their is a large gravel run with pacey water. Do you think this would be a good place to fish for Barbel + Chub? it also has some weed patches on the gravel run.

P

Phil Heaton

no..... leave it alone and let me know where it is, I will guard the area to stop others wasting time there.

honslow

Reaction score
Don't neglect under the weir sill. But introduce a little hemp and pellets on said run with a baitdropper and sit back and watch the show!

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

I think that is the general consensus!?!

At times of low flow and early in the season post spawning such areas downstream of weirs are a very reliable spot for chub or barbel.

Depending on the distance out a bait dropper would be good as Greg says.If not then go for a feeder regularly cast to get a bed of bait down.Hemp and caster can be deadly but you might be bitted out by small fish.So a pellet/boilie approach might be better with smaller pellets in the feeder.

Alternatively try trundling a bit of cheese or meat down.

L

lil carper

iv bin told it's one of the best stretches of the whole river for double figure barbel and up 2 10lb barbel

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

It's just to let you know he is fishing the best stretch of river with two ten pound barbel in it ....

Chevin

Reaction score
Sounds like a perfect situation for a rolling ledger with cheese, crust or luncheon meat baits. I know that is how I would begin to fish it. There are always going to be fish at the head of that run just waiting for the food the current from the weir will deliver to them. With a rolling ledger you can search the whole pool by letting the current from the weir move your bait around for you.

Chevin

Reaction score
You need to set up a ledger rig that barely holds bottom, a link ledger consisting of swan shots is ideal. You then cast across the current and allow it to put pressure on your line so that your ledger rig is slowly draged along the river bed until it finishes up on your side of the current. You need to hold your rod and feel for bites because they may not be a pull - you might just feel your weight lift a little. To begin with it is best to strike at anything that feels 'different'. You can also increase or decrease the effect of the current on your line by lowering or raising your rod tip. It is a very effective way of covering the whole of a swim and it is often a deadly method too!

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Forgive me for a being a pedantic a... lil carper but any chance you could use proper English and not textspeak?