Classic Cane Rod - info wanted

Reaction score
I have a rod made by J Peek and Sons, 40 Grays In Rd, London, and marked "The Elite".

It is 14' long with the 2 lower sections in whole cane and the top section is whole cane with a spliced in built cane tip. It is in the original bag and has the original ferrule stoppers. It is in fabulous condition, all corks are perfect, there is no 'set' in any of the joints and all rings and whippings are original and perfect.

Anybody have any idea what it might be worth?

barbelboi

Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]I’ve heard of J. Peek & Son 10' 2 piece split cane carp rod built in the B James style in perfect condition go for about £70 at auction. I may be wrong but I don’t think your rod would be as collectable. [/FONT]

chav professor

Reaction score
There are lots of super rods out there - perhaps many far superior to the usual suspects by Allcocks and B James (to name but two). Of these, there are only certain models that command values upwards of £200 - 300 and this is dependant on condition.

Often rods by less known makers find it difficult to reach £40-80.If you want an idea how much its worth, the best way to find out by putting on EBAY on a low start bid but put a realistic reserve on it...... there are a lot of cane enthusiasts trwling through EBAY - rods rarely go for a bargin these days and often reach a realistic if not silly price in some circumstances. It is rare I bid these days and get a bargin:(

I can rarely find a renovation job at a realistic price either........

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
Your rod is what would have been called a match rod in its day, for 'bottom fishing'. Not just fishing on the bottom, but general float work for smaller fish. The whole cane is light and stiff and gives a fast striking action, whilst the whole cane spliced tip gives a casting action similar to a spliced tip rod of a few years ago.

They aren't as collectable as split or built cane throughout rods, possibly in the mistaken belief that whole cane rods were cheap and cheerfull budget jobs.

In fact this is not the case, after the Second World War straight whole bamboo, not riddled with leaf nodes was hard to find. The growing areas had fallen into ruin, the workers were dead and gone and the rise of new political persuasions meant the old trading agreements would never be rebuilt.

Perhaps because they weren't so collectable, even with eBay opening up the market, I suspect a fair few ended their lives on the allotment :)or in a skip, so consequently they are getting harder and harder to find.

I'd hang on to it...it won't go down in price and you'll probably never see another!

That price? That depends where and when you sell it, ferrule plugs and original bag, condition etc etc. Might go for £50 on a very good day. Might not even sell.

But one day, one day soon, it will be recognised as one of the last left...and then the sky's the limit!