Any barbel in the anker or tame?

Reaction score
My dearest father in law has asked me to help by asking if there are any barbel worth fishing for in the above rivers? He lives in tamworth so has them both literally on his doorstep he just wants to know if there any in and around his areas? Thanks chaps

B

Bob Watson

I used to fish the River Anker in and around Atherstone back in 93/94. It's a lovely little river with a good little weirpool at Polesworth. I wouldn't put too much hope out for Barbel, I never caught or heard of anyone catching a Barbel from there, not even a fishermans tale, don't take it as gospel though. There are however some nice Chub and Dace, my best being about 3lb and upto about 6-8oz respectively, lovely to catch on a light stick, pound for pound Dace pull a bit. I've witnessed but never caught large Perch, certainly over 2lb, from the weirpool. There used to be a tackle shop adjacent to the pool in Polesworth. For the Barbel, go to the Severn which isn't too far but fish the Anker for some lovely silver bars.

B

Bob Watson

Just read the link Ed provided, it seems there are Barbel present, don't believe a word a fisherman tells you ;-) Never came across them further upstream though.

M

MCMILLIGAN

the weir at polesworth has a good barbel supply there are normally cuming out and scrapping

Steve Holland

Reaction score
The BAA have taken control of a stretch of the Anker. If you have a gander on their websites newspage, theres a piccy of some lad holding a double fig. barbel. Not had chance to fish it myself, but do hear that there are some barbel in there but most captures are kept quiet.