Canals

rains

Reaction score
Hi am going to start fishing Canals soon in perticular the liverpool/leeds canals i was just wonder what species of fish i should expect to find and also are canals home to big fish

dannytaylor

Reaction score
you will find.............

Nice Bream,
Plenty of small roach/rudd with the odd good "stamp" fish,
Nice Tench,
Big carp,
Big Eels,
Big Pike,
Big Perch.

Do your homework, get your location right and you can have some good fishing on the cut, very underrated venues.

Good luck.

rains

Reaction score
Should be intresting then never caught a eel or chub looking forward to big pike and perch a question tho the canal bottom is very weedy how would it be best fished on the bottom or do you think i should use a rake to remove some of the weeds thanks for the imput

quickcedo

Reaction score
Canals can throw up surprises and often do. Depth is imo the key factor. The average depth of my local canal is only 3ft it contains mainly Bream, Chub, Roach, Perch and Carp. Saying that a guy last year caught a huge Barbel (surprise surprise).

rains

Reaction score
Any idea if catfish are located in canals am thinking am going to have to rake me a swim out sigh more gear to carry lol

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
Depends on where abouts on L to L canal. Some places have unusaul speicies due to hot water pipes/outlets. Warm water all year round.
I remember a guy catching brown trout in my local canal.

rains

Reaction score
Depends on where abouts on L to L canal. Some places have unusaul speicies due to hot water pipes/outlets. Warm water all year round.
I remember a guy catching brown trout in my local canal.
I have heard of that before any idea where about the hot waters are wobbly

dannytaylor

Reaction score
Any idea if catfish are located in canals am thinking am going to have to rake me a swim out sigh more gear to carry lol

Raking is not a bad idea but its not essential. Depends what species you are targeting?

rains

Reaction score
Raking is not a bad idea but its not essential. Depends what species you are targeting?
All i enjoy catching all species but i have found that fishing on the bottom gets the bigger and best results i would love to catch a 3 to 4 pound perch

dannytaylor

Reaction score
Evening rains, if you want perch, try chopped worm and caster. For the bigger fish ive always done better on livebait. There are some nice perch in this cut but finding them is the tricky part. Ask in local tackle shops or check match results on the canal, this will give you a good idea where there are good numbers of preyfish or big perch may have even been caught in the matches. One thing i have noticed with this canal is that if you catch a good perch there are usually more in the area which goes against what a lot of anglers say.

206.jpg

005.jpg

rains

Reaction score
Evening rains, if you want perch, try chopped worm and caster. For the bigger fish ive always done better on livebait. There are some nice perch in this cut but finding them is the tricky part. Ask in local tackle shops or check match results on the canal, this will give you a good idea where there are good numbers of preyfish or big perch may have even been caught in the matches. One thing i have noticed with this canal is that if you catch a good perch there are usually more in the area which goes against what a lot of anglers say.

206.jpg

005.jpg
Thanks danny there some nice perch them heres hoping that i can find them