Sinking Line

little oik

Reaction score
Can anybody on here recommend a sinking line (mono) for waggler fishing .I am not in the mood for either the old washing up liquid trick or using flurocarbon as the main line .
I am getting fed up with lines that state they sink but dont .
The other day I had to straighten out one of my rings on my waggler rod as a carp took my bait and legged it (finned it ).The float started to go down and it took off a rate of knots within a blink of a eye.next thing the rod ring started to bend as it was wrenched out of the rests.I know my reaction time has slowed a bit over the years but .The problem being is dropping the tip under water and tightening the line right up so the drift doesnt tow the float around .(In effect fishing locked up but with light gear )
Ps the fish involved was only 5lber

quickcedo

Reaction score
To be honest I can't think of any that don't float in the surface film especially once they've been used and have a bit of grease on them. I don't float fish myself but my friends that do swear by Maxima.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Dunno about anyone else's waters, but over the last few weeks our lakes have been so covered with some botanical fluff that anything short of a steel hawser would float on it. The wretched stuff clings to the line, forms a ball at the tip ring when you re-wind, the ball hops behind the tip ring as it jiggles while you re-bait, and your next cast splashes down at your feet.
Meanwhile, the fish are all on top like rudd, laughing their fins off.
Maxima; Krystonite if you're fishing a fixed waggler (it doesn't seem to like sliders - goes all spiral) (Yes, I know it's got a fluorocarbon coating, but its's only a coating. The line itself can cope with knots).
W.B. Clarke, too, once the surface isn't wearing a fleece. (Though a little film of grease makes it float well. Versatile!)

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've tried many different lines over the years but for all my waggler and lighter feeder work I still use Maxima.

watatoad

Reaction score
I use Maxima Chameleon, I sink the rod tip then dress the line that usually does the trick with no further problems, sometimes I have had to resort to using a sponge soaked in washing up liquid and on a few rare occasions a back lead.

Although the strike is just a little slower with a sunk line.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Dunno about anyone else's waters, but over the last few weeks our lakes have been so covered with some botanical fluff that anything short of a steel hawser would float on it.

I've suffered from that too....a complete pain in the arris and its the devils own job to clear it off your line. I think its fluff from the willows and I disagree about the steel hawser.I reckon it WOULD float !

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
Waggler fishing, by its very method, coats the line and your rod tip in oily scum sometimes.

There isn't really any choice but to give it all a clean from time to time and that included the line through a soapy sponge occasionaly.

One thing I do when I'm tackling up, to help the line sink, is to soak it in the water for a while...chuck it out with the plummet on and leave it out there while you finish getting ready.

Korum Reel Line and Gardner Hyroflo both sink as well as Maxima does but they still need a clean from time to time...sorry:)

little oik

Reaction score
Its just that I have had some bad results using the washing up liquid trick. After a couple of sessions the line just used to curl up on itself (Gorilla float).I must admit I haven't used Maxima for a number of years so will give that a go and also Krysonite
Thanks for your replies it just seemed that I was getting victimized with this as no one else had mentioned it .I have put up with it for a few years and gone through a couple of rings in the process (set tight to the rest to stop the rod from going in) It had got to the stage where on this particular lake I was going to resort to a" Baitrunner"for waggler fishing .It wouldnt be that much of a problem usually .The lake in question is about 5 ft deep but it is in a wind tunnel .The surface can be like glass on occasions but there is still a huge drift on the surface layers even after a couple of days of calm.
Hopefully the trees that have been planted will change that somewhat in a couple of years

quickcedo

Reaction score
I'm sorry if I have this wrong. If the fish are pulling your rod against the rest so hard they are bending the ring, can you not just set the clutch lighter and re tension after the hookup. Also, having more rod past the rest will help (ie, more rod out over the water, with the tip under water).
As I said, sorry if I'm missunderstanding what's going on.