River Dane Chub

S

Steve Reeves

I've just read on the Lymm Angling Club web site, news of an angler catching quote "chub to 4lbs 10onz".
I've been fishing the Dane since 1974 including the Lymm Anglers contolled stretches and my personal best chub from this lovely little river is 31/2lbs. I've never seen a 4 pounder come out of the Dane, and I reckon a 3pounder is a good result. Is this 4lbs 10ounce fish a record for this river?

G

Gary Knowles

Dunno Steve but I've fished it on and off for years and by best chub went 3lb-15oz-08dr......you guessed it...my 'mate' weighed it for me !

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
My biggest chub from the Dane also weighed 4lb 10oz and was caught in the early 60's. I've fished the Dane hundreds of times since and never caught a better one and the number of chub over 4lb I've caught from the Dane I can count on two hands.

Every time I see a report of 5lb chub from the Dane I ask myself what I've been doing wrong all these years.

And then I promise to get myself a new set of scales.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Incidentally, you can read Lymm AC's newsletter on FISHINGmagic every week. The latest one, and the one referred to, is here:

<a href=http://www.fishingmagic.com/news/article.asp?SP=&v=1&UAN=1468>Lymm Newsletter</A>

P

Phil Hackett

Steve
I did 10 years of chub fishing on the Dane late 70s early 80s. Over that time I had one chub 4.2 and a handfull of 3s. If the 4s are there, they are not in great numbers.

Possible! with a big BUT

D

David Williams

HI STEVE
what stretch did it come from was it manor farm or daisey brook they are the lymm
stretches have you fished croxton lane

S

Steve Reeves

Hi David,
It didn't say which farm.
Yes I have fished at Croxton. Don't like it , too many people walking the bank.
In my opinion you're wasting your time on the Dane if there are people walking along the sky-line.
I much prefer the "red indian approach"
:))

D

David Williams

HI STEVE
what side of croxton did you fish the wier side or did you fish the canal side were the viaduct goes over the dane if you have not fished that side you dont know what you are missing if you want to know more about the realy good swims ie barbel,chub ill email you with details if you want, i have been fishing that stretch for 12years and know all the best swims tightlines dave

A

Alan Reeves

E-mail me, I'm his son and will pinch all his fish. ha ha

A

albert watkinson

this is not a boast by any means.to put things in perspective on chub weights in the dane.in 2001 i had 21 chub over 3lb and up to 3/15.the best went 4lb 6oz--4lb 8 oz and 5 lb.last season i had 19 mostly over 3lb up to 3lb 14.this season i have had 15 chub well over 3lb .the best 4 went.4/4 4/8 4/10 and on the 17th of october my personal best of 5lb 2ozs.i have a witness and photo of this fish and had the scales checked.in fact he weiged 5/12 in the net and i thought he should be 5lb 4oz.however i have fished this river since 1954 and have always said it was a good chub river.i am nearly 77 and am gratified that all my efforts have been rewarded.i cant help it but i have had a few barbel as well.albert

B

Barry Fleming

I have fished the W.A.A. stretch of the Dane for a good few years, usually they average around the three pound mark. but at the begining of this season, I had quite a few over 4lb.I have heard of fives comeing out but never seen one,neither have I seen barbel come out of this stretch. Although the last few years have been showing Grayling.
Cheers,
Baz.

A

albert watkinson

anybody that knows me will tell you i dont tell fibs about the fish i catch.i have never seen grayling in the river and i have fished it since 1954.i have a picture of the 5lb 2oz chub and will show it anybody.also i take umbrage if anybody is doubting my honestyalbert

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I don't think anybody is doubting your honesty Albert, but maybe some will think you may have made a mistake in the weighing. It does happen. If you send the picture to me I'll publish it for all to see.

B

Barry Fleming

Albert,
I apologise for any misunderstanding, the stretch I fished was the Warrington stretch.
I believe there is a weir between this stretch and the Bay Malton stretch, (Cottons Farm) which does hold barbell, and some big chub, and is maybe why W.A.A. doesn?t have them.
Also the Grayling I mentioned on the Warrington stretch are only what I have had reports about, It does seem odd that this species has turned up on this small stretch, but I will be giving them a go this season, and I will let you know if I catch any.
Regards,
Barry.

B

Barry Fleming

Albert,
I apologise for any misunderstanding, the stretch I was refering to was the Warrington stretch.
I believe there is a weir between this stretch and the Bay Malton stretch, (Cottons Farm) which does hold barbell, and some big chub, and is maybe why W.A.A. doesn?t have them.
Also the Grayling I mentioned on the Warrington stretch are only what I have had reports about, It does seem odd that this species has turned up on this small stretch, but I will be giving them a go this season, and I will let you know if I catch any.
Regards,
Barry.

A

albert watkinson

barry i apologise as well.i have a friend who caught a grayling on the dane a while ago lower down nearer to northwich.their is a weir dowstream of the vicarage hotel at holmes chapel .it runs down to our stretch.t
there used to be donkeys in the field opposite .it is crewe pioneers water.there are some nice chub along there and a very big one that hangs about under the bridge.i did not get a permit this year .i got fed up with the mink pestering me.hope this is of some use
albert

J

Jon Moores

Barry, PAAS stocked grayling a few years ago into their water above the WAA stretch, which probably explains the grayling you've heard of. If they prosper they will make a nice addition to the Dane's fishing. I've not been for some years, but when I fished the WAA stretch I never saw a barbel on there and I did look for them.

B

Barry Fleming

Jon,
Thanks for the info on the Grayling; it makes it more plausible now. Although they have been introduced, I think of them more of a chalk stream species or rocky-bottomed rivers such as the Ribble.
On the two occasions I was told where they were being caught, both locations were shallow fast flowing swims with plenty of gravel. Does anybody know of their preferred habitat?.
Cheers,
Barry.

A

albert watkinson

i have had big bags of grayling in that kind of water on the upper severn.i once hooked a salmon while trotting for grayling but that is another story.
albert

Daniel Matley

Reaction score
Hi all

The numbers of Grayling showing in the Dane have increased over the 18 months which bodes well for the river. I personally know of three anglers who have caught them from the Bay Malton stretch and if you go onto their website you will see a picture of one which came from there. There were also two instances last season of fish caught that were either Salmon or Sea Trout. One which weighed 6lbs was caught after a club match and was witnessed by other anglers. The angler in question is 99% certain that the fish was a Salmon which must be the first of its kind from there in a long time, unless anyone else knows different?

Danny.