River Roach where are the large ones?

watatoad

Reaction score
Way back in the 1960’s we had specimen hunters who later became an organisation, they seemed a strange group of chaps, always bragging about having numerous blank days and only on very rare occasions would one or two admit to catching a really great fish. Although none would ever tell or admit to where they were fishing nor if spotted on a river or lake in which swim.

What a load of b*11**ks, common sense should tell every angler that even if you are after a specimen fish the elusive fish of a lifetime in the process you are more than likely to catch many somewhat smaller fish of the species you are after as well as probably many other passing fish of other species. Unless you have a very private and fenced or blocked off venue with only one fish of one species in it, it is totally impossible to just select and target just one fish of a particular weight of an individual species.

How can I say that? Simple I was one of those specimen hunters who perhaps being a little less dedicated than some to a particular specimen size of a particular species still fished for pleasure and kept the two disciplines separate weekdays whenever I could I was a pleasure fisherman but come the weekend I was as crazy a specimen hunter as any.

Certainly you can target one species and you may get many of that species perhaps never catching the elusive fish of a lifetime. However in the process you are very likely to catch a good few fish of other species, just remember to past threads here or on many forums how often do we read of Carp being taken when fishing for Bream or Tench or for that matter many of the other species.

I would be among the first to say that there are many absolutely brilliant anglers on many forums who are truly experts, anglers who know their angling methods and/or their favourite species inside and out all their feeding preferences, habits and habitats and those angler can, do and will target the species of their desires. I do not believe that they never catch any other species in the process with the possible exception of deadbaiting or on a lake with only one species in it.

Take me I am primarily a river Roach angler and have been all my angling life, yes I do target other species usually trying to target all and every species at sometime each year, but to me Roach have been the fish I most like catching.

Chasing the quick Dace, the gracefulness of a Grayling is brilliant, the amazing fighting power of the Tench, the hard work of a Barbel, The surprise of the strength of a good Bream, the almost frightening power of a river Carp, the quickness and determination of the Perch, the wiliness of the Chub, the pleasure of the Trout and so on from the mighty Gudgeon to the Salmon. Whatever the species each will have its following, then we have the anglers who are fishing for as many species as they can, they are amazing anglers determined to catch as many species as they can.

So why are big Roach so few and far between?

A lot are still there, but the very anglers who chase and catch them are very few, and very, very unlikely to tell. Some have died from old age (anglers as well as fish), pollution, poor river management, damage to habitation from numerous things from farming to new homes to industry. Increased extraction of water to meet the very increased population and the past 15 years has seem the largest increase in population in the United Kingdom ever, yes some have even gone to predators from several species including man. Before you look for big river Roach ask yourself this question when was the river last stocked with Roach? Each and every river has a maximum density of any species it can support healthily and if that river is not as healthy as it should be maybe there will be fewer fish and in consequence fewer older and larger fish.

Good river maintenance has seen a major decline in recent years but the advent of the commercial lake fisheries has probably caused as much of a problem as any yet I do not blame them for it. Salaries have and are being kept down, costs are increasing dramatically so angling and fishing clubs are to an extent being hit generally (yes I know there are bound to be exceptions) but fee’s for angling/fishing club membership is just one of those increasing costs, with fewer members river fishing and landowners increasing fees membership has to rise. The media and tackle manufacturers have too contributed to the increase in anglers using commercials, in fairness what newcomer to fishing at any time in the past 100 years would not want to catch a fish weighing several pounds, you cant blame anyone its just human nature.

So we potentially have less fish in the rivers coupled with less anglers fishing for them, then we have a lot less anglers who have any rivercraft, a lot less anglers who have served what many call their apprenticeships on the rivers.

Add into the equation changing rivers and river management, changing depths, flow’s and river quality, throw in some flooding, perhaps this in turn means the Roach are changing their habits and habitats too, then lets throw into the melting pot the introduction or reintroduction of Otters, the arrival of Cormorants, imported crayfish, illegal releases of non indigenous fish, the illegal release of mink.

Result:
Fewer matches held on rivers means less likelihood of large catches of Roach getting into the media or being made.
Fewer anglers equals less large catches of Roach declared or admitted to.
Fewer anglers equals less potential catches of large Roach declared or admitted to.
Fewer anglers after Roach much less likelihood of Roach being found.
Fewer anglers fishing the float less likelihood of Roach being caught.
Fewer anglers specimen hunting for Roach less likelihood of large Roach being caught.
Fewer experienced anglers after Roach much less likelihood of Roach habits being known.
Fewer experienced anglers after Roach much less likelihood of Roach habitats being known.
Roach are not often and have seldom been the target fish of the majority of specimen hunters.

Before anyone says anything yes you do fish for Roach with leger and/or feeder at times, however how many target Roach on the leger or feeder very few I will wager.

To prove my point how many anglers on many forums ever actually target Roach? Not many I will bet.

To prove my point how many anglers on many forums ever actually fish rivers? Less then those who fish lakes, commercial or otherwise. At least it is in the South of the country.

sam vimes

Reaction score
To prove my point how many anglers on many forums ever actually target Roach? Not many I will bet.

I have but the reality is that they are few and far between on the river I was targetting. I've probably had two or three roach of no more than four ounces over the past five years or so amongst dace and chub. I did have one red letter day about fifteen years ago where I caught a brace over two pounds. They were lurking with a shoal of bream that are also very elusive on this river. I doubt that I'll ever see the like again.

To prove my point how many anglers on many forums ever actually fish rivers? Less then those who fish lakes, commercial or otherwise. At least it is in the South of the country.

I very regularly fish rivers. However, I'd guess I'm in a minority, even up here in the frozen north. I'm well aware that most people seem to fall into two camps, either commercial/club stillwater anglers or full on carpers.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
95% of my pleasure days I go for roach. I get on the Thames as often as I can. Most of the time I pole-fish for them, but in winter when it is up and coloured it's always groundbait feeder and maggot for me. There are thousands of big roach in there and there are loads of roach anglers as well as me............

barbelboi

Reaction score
I love roach fishing on rivers and you can still pull 2lb ers from some of my local rivers (probably bigger but not from me since the late 60’s) the Kennet and Loddon. I’ve caught fish to over 2lb from the Colne until the early 70’s and the better fish seem to be showing more in the last three years. You get the odd surprise as well, a 2lb 7oz Loddon roach on an early 10mm shelf life strawberry boilie some 12 years ago whilst targeting barbel. I’ve got to get back on the Thames this year.

PS I believe Martin Bowler caught a 3lb + on the Hampshire Avon whilst filming Catching the Impossible

dannytaylor

Reaction score
no that was terry lampard.......................

where have all the roach gone? Down the cormorants neck :mad:

If anyone knows of any PMs please :D

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Watatoad,

I fish for roach a LOT! And yes, I catch a LOT of little uns, but the big un is just around the corner ;)

Me mates know where I fish and that's all that need to know..........:wh

dezza

Reaction score
Although cormorants have affected the populations of roach, there are still a few big ones about if you are prepared to fish in a way that you will avoid the little 'uns.

The biggest roach I have ever caught have come from gravel pits and the River Severn in the nineties, and most of them came to link leger or in the case of gravel pits, a method type feeder on a link using mashed bread and bread flake. My biggest was a cracker of 2lbs 7oz from the Severn near Stourport, bait there was three white maggot on a 16 eyed hook with bite indication by quiver tip.

Recenly, most of my roach over a pound have been taken using sweetcorn to a 12 hook hair rigged with a Drennan in line flat feeder. Hook length 4 inches long. Bites have been "screamers", totally unroachlike.

I am getting to the point where if you want big roach you must deliberately avoid what big roach hunters call the "*****". We hear quite a few big roach taken on the Trent by barbel anglers using pellets. We hear of huge roach being taken by carp anglers with boilies and bolt rigs.

Even **** Walker used to use scaled down carp tactics whan after big still water roach.

Some of my biggest Leam roach, fish a couple of ounces short of 2 lbs took huge pieces of crust link legered for chub.

Using such methods for big roach isn't pretty and I would much rather use traditionally acknowledged roach gear. The only water where really light float tackle appears to work well is the River Idle, yet after fishing this river for years, I never did make the 2 pound mark.

Last edited by a moderator:

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I got into a very heated and silly debate on Gofishing about this The numbers game.... | Gofishing.co.uk I'm sure 2lb + roach are becoming more common after feeding alongside carp in lakes where there are no natural predators other than cormorants etc.

I'm sure I have seen this on a thread somewhere else on here but has anyone caught bigger roach from lakes rather than rivers ? do you think they are becoming more common ? Please help me grind my opponent into the dust.

barbelboi

Reaction score
IMO it is far easier to catch a 2lb + roach from a still water in winter than a river. Sad but true in my area 3lb + roach are a reality in some still waters, I wish I could say the same about the rivers.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
IMO it is far easier to catch a 2lb + roach from a still water in winter than a river. Sad but true in my area 3lb + roach are a reality in some still waters, I wish I could say the same about the rivers.

Being an inexperienced angler I wasn't surprised by a 2 lb roach off a commercial , while the ones my son caught were great fish , the catch was met by a torrent of disdain on gofishing.co.uk - they must be hybrids , its catching not fishing etc etc , but cutting through the bullshit , I firmly beleive that where roach and carp co-exist without predators , and with a steady supply of pellets then the roach grow pretty big.

watatoad

Reaction score
Being an inexperienced angler I wasn't surprised by a 2 lb roach off a commercial , while the ones my son caught were great fish , the catch was met by a torrent of disdain on gofishing.co.uk - they must be hybrids , its catching not fishing etc etc , but cutting through the bullshit , I firmly beleive that where roach and carp co-exist without predators , and with a steady supply of pellets then the roach grow pretty big.

I am with you on this one and have been invited quite recently to a lake where the Roach are expected to set a new rod caught record for Roach every coming year. Sorry I cannot say where but if it does turn out to be true I will post photo's (being a lousy photographer I will get someone else to take them for me) I will put two tape measures by the fish but even if it beats the record I will not be publishing the weight or claiming the record. About the only thing that could persuade me to do that would be a 10lb a 20lb or a 30lb Roach from a river...hehehe

However hopefully I might get some good photographs of some good condition Roach whatever they weigh and that would be nice good condition being the key for me.

---------- Post added at 17:16 ---------- Previous post was at 17:09 ----------

On the serious side I really hope my rather lengthy start to this thread has suggested some ideas to the many fertile minds on here, I cant say my suggestions are definitive but they are what I believe. Based on my years of personal of experience river fishing and many comments I have heard and posts I have read.

One bridge I cross to go fishing has a sign on it warning that raw sewerage is discharged into the river, nice that they warn you.

I do believe that my idea theory or whatever you want to call it could just as well be applied to any river species.

Incidentally for those interested I am a member of 8 coarse fishing angling clubs soon to be 10 and go all over the United Kingdom for a spot of fishing, I am not famous nor involved in the media or tackle manufacturing world nor the retail angling trade, nor any commercial aspect of the angling world. Plus I cannot walk very far.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
This throws up the question :
How do you fish selectively for big roach, using appropriate tackle, where both small roach and a number of carp exist?

Winter and bread, and only a little of it, spring to mind, but can it be done in the warmer months?

dezza

Reaction score
I assume its a still water you are fishing.

One of the best ways to avoid small roach is not to use maggots, or even casters. Punched bread is also a matchman's technique so keep clear of that as well.

Bread flake and paste, sweetcorn, stewed wheat and portions of lobworms, together with chopped worm are all baits that big roach love. And fish them on the deck. Big roach do not expect baits hung in midwater.

It's very difficult to avoid carp if you water contains them. The best way is to take a philosophical attitude and expect to lose the carp.

By the way, never forget the canals. There are big roach in most canals, but very few people catch them.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Aye, sorry, I did wobble off-topic there. RIVER roach. Focus, lad.

Had a search for Jason's Summer Roach thread, and was reminded of the power of cheese, verb.sap.

peter crabtree

Reaction score
Summer bait for big roach for me is always hemp and tares, a single grain of hemp on the hook sorts out the bigger ones usually. And when they are on the trees, elderberries are irresistable to roach.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Cormerants !!

The Lea Valley is full of them and the Roach are as rare as Rocking Horse Poo !!

There was a time when you could catch good Roach and Dace for my local rivers, the Rib, Bean, Upper and Lower Lea and the Roding use to produce some Great River Roach.

In the area where I live you would have to look to the Still waters for a decnt Roach these days.

I had a walk over the Walthamstow Ressies last week, to the Trout Ressie to see an Old Mate and the Guy on the gate told me he had seen 170 Cormerants on the railings by the Trout and that was the reason he thought it was fishing hard ?

As for Roac, I'm sure there are still a few around, but I have No Idea where I would start on the rivers in this area.

Bob

peter crabtree

Reaction score
Bob , a friend of mine works at the Eurostar depot and has seen vast shoals of big roach in the Lea/lee nearby despite the birds and general rubbish -pollution in the area. Another friend of mine (and FM member) caught some cracking roach last winter from the Lea in Herts.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Peter,

I know there are pockets of good Roach, but being a bit of a Perch nut in the winter and using Livebaits to avoid the constant attension from Crayfish.

Catching baits bait became a nightmare on most parts of the Lea, like your friend has seen, there are small areas ( the 406 under the bridge and the basin on the old West Ham Stretch).

But generably it's a shadow of it's former self.

Having said that, I saw a small group of Very large Roach on the Relief Channel at Fisher Green last year (whilst recovering from a Heart Operation).

But I have not seen them since !!

There was a time when the Rib and the Bean were famous for their Roach and it was not rare to catch a 2lb+ Roach every trip, long gone I'm affraid.

Bob

flightliner

Reaction score
Dont even try to look on the Trent (for a "two")unless you are truly dedicated, its hard, really hard. Some talk of big roach coming out on boillies and pellets but I am suspicious of these claims, (if i'm wrong - and I hope so - then please enlighten me further) No, I rather think that some fish looking like roach are what some anglers may have caught, again my suspicians are that Ide are to blame as they are now showing with some regularity.

Last edited:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Having said that, I saw a small group of Very large Roach on the Relief Channel at Fisher Green last year (whilst recovering from a Heart Operation).

But I have not seen them since !!

Bob

Funny you should say about those, I was feeding them last year for a couple of nights a week. I told Cakey about them, when I got to fish for them I had 6 fish in 6 casts, not one was over 12 ozs.

When I had a look the very big Roach were hanging back, so I feed for a while but didn't fish. When I started fishing again, about 2 hours later, I had one fish, that didn't go 1 1/2 lb but close. That was it, I saw them once again about a week later, less than a 100 yards from where i had fished for them, haven't seen them since.

The Lea Canal used to be alive with fish, not now, struggle to even see a Bleak, and the Rib is also finished for catching bags of fish.