How to make groundbait

daniel smith 4

Reaction score
I'm fishing a new water tomorrow where i've been told ground bait is a must. One problem i've not had time to get down the tackle shop and buy some. So i was wondering how hard it is to make your own and how do i do it. I would like to incorporate luncheon meat as it will be the hook bait i will be using.

Any help and advice would be greatly appricated

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

Daniel.
I am not saying that it can't be done but I have never mixed meat with groundbait. Maybe somebody else could advise you on that.

What I have done and found it works a treat is to buy a tin of lincheon meat and take enough slices off for your hookbait.

Slice and chop the rest of the meat very finely and mix it with hempseed. Use this as a loose feed. Either catapult it out or use an open ended feeder. Plug the ends with liquidised bread.
And you can freeze it of course.

alex laurie

Reaction score
Daniel,

I agree with Baz. Chop the meat up into small cubes. If you are using a feeder, don't cram it in, as it will still be there when you reel in. Just a few cubes will do.

I have always found small cubes of meat outfish large cubes. If you are feeding with maggots, why would you use something different on the hook?

C

crack snacker

3 tins luncheon meat(preferably plumrose)
grate 2 tins with a fine cheese grater.add some bovril to help it bind.use the third tin for hookbaits.
2 tins grated should give you enough for a days fishing if you feed small balls regularly.if you have some crumb you could add this to your meat/bovril combo.

keora

Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by groundbait.

If you mean a cereal based powder that you mix with water, then you can buy stale loaves, dry them and grind them and mix with water.

I've tried it in the past and I don't think it's worth the effort. It's better to buy breadcrumbs from a tackle shop, which are usually half the price of the expensive continental mixes.

A dog food mix called Vitalin is available in petstores and big supermarkets, and is supposed to be a good gbait. There's a thread about it somewhere on this forum

william ward

Reaction score
DANIEL HAVE YOU GOT A BLENDER MATE . IF YOU HAVE BLEND BREAD IN IT AND EVEN BLEND IN YOUR MEAT . MAKES BRILL GROUND BAIT FOR FEEDER FISHING . GOOD LUCK

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

Good groundbaits can be made with a 50/50 mix of brown crumb and one of the continental mixes, all depending on what you are fishing for.

B

Budgie Burgess

The time I did the most intense of my bream fishing also coincided with when I was off work due to an accident for a couple of years.Obviously money was tight and the water I was fishing at the time required a lot of cereal groundbait.

I had a good source of stale bread from a local baker and local supermarket.But drying it out then grinding it down took an absolute age!Best part of a day and one burnt out grinder and I still didnt have enough for even one evening!

I resorted to just liquidising the bread as and when I needed it (unless frozen liquidised bread wont keep like dried out crumb) Certainly worked ok.

ryan millington

Reaction score
hi there, what's the cheapest quickest and most effective way to make groundbait

what's the best bait to use to catch tench and bream

thanks and look forward to hearing from you

DZ

Reaction score
teco value digestive buscuits 17p per pack!Blendem with freds bread

grilled hemp blended dryis good too.

Risque Manoofus

Reaction score
The cheapest and most effective way to make your own groundbait Ryan is (assuming you have your own liquidiser) to go to your nearest feed store. Find them in Yellow Pages. Buy yourself a 25K sack of "Layers Pellet"about 6 quid and a 15K sack of dry dog food between 8 and 14 quid. Keep them dry and just liquidise it as you want it.

Theres enough there to last you a good 12 months and it works fine.

Start to experiment from there because theres literally hundreds of ways of doing it. You will be surprised at how quickly you will learn to have confidence in your own mixes and you wont ever go back to top price shop bought products often advertised by top anglers that are frequently just in it for the money.

GoodOldBoy

Reaction score
I like the sound of using the Layers Pellets but have used Vitalin in the past whith good results, When using the vitalin you have to soak it in a bucket then add you flavoring hemp etc, Do you have to do the same with Layers Pelletsas well?

I have heard there are quite a few animal feeds on the marketyou can use as bait i think there was some sheep feed (pellet) that could be used.

I have never tried and don't have to much knowledge on the subject so i would air some caution unless some of the helpful anglers on FM could enlighten us without giving to many secrets away a... /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
I think its a case of seeing whether it acts as a binder or a breakdown agent. Vitalin is a definite binder, it would make decent concrete, which is fine for rock-hard method mix, but not so good for other applications.

If, as I suspect, layers mash/pellets break down in the water, try different blends of the two for different jobs.

Other cheapish binders are white crumb (moderate) and liquidised corn flakes (extreme); other breakers-down are brown crumb and DAMP bran.

Dry bran will float, even when it's been incorporated int groundbait for some time,and attract every mallard on the lake. I was warned, on this very forum; I doubted; and I was reduced to hysterics whenALL the many ducks on Holwell Hyde congregated in a four-foot circle just off the end of my rod!