Britford on the Avon ?

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
I'm not sure where this thread should go so I stuck on here, if it's in the wrong bit, please move it to the right bit ?

This year I rejoined the LAA and for another £7.00 you can have a Britford Ticket as an OAP ?

I knew there had to be a good reason for getting OLD !!

Anyway I have not fished Britford for 30 years and wondered if anyone on here does ?

If so could you tell me the best time of the year to fish it and what I might expect to catch.

Thanks

Bob

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Bob,

For that money it is well worth the extra.

The best imes to fish it are late Autumn and through the Winter to be honest, although some surprising summer catches do come up from time to time.
If you are relatively local then it is best to wait for the right conditions, and although a lot of those really big Roach have long since departed, there are still some good ones there to be had along with the odd Chub, a few Barbel and a fair few Grayling too.

There are some Bream in the old course too and I've even taken Tench from there as well. For the Predator angler there are some Perch and a fair few very large Pike, the largest is said to be aroung 24lbs.

All the traditional baits work well but using maggot will usually result in many minnows, you just cannot seem to feed them off to be honest.

Best times are early morning and early evening to avoid the crowds, although Britford is not a 'popular' as it used to be.

You can always find fish-able water there as Stuart the Bailiff keeps one section running in times of low water, and he really is very helpful and will ty to put on onto a good swim if you ask him.

If you are going to visit at the weekend then arrange to drop in for a drink at my place, I'm only about 30 minutes from the stretch.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Thankyou Peter for the kind offer.

I will not fish before Autumn and it will proberly be more winter time, if I'm honest.

I live on the wrong side of London and hate the M25 at the best of times ?

Can't wait now, roll on Winter :rolleyes:

Bob

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that there are also some nice river Carp in the new course. I have taken them up to just short of 20lbs and I've seen larger specimens too.

If you are on the other side of London then take a look at the PM I just sent you.

In the winter there are less minnows, but still enough to put one off a bit. The Chub come out to play more in the colder months too, nothing much over 5lbs though.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Thank Peter.

The wifes car, now has New Tyres all round and is booked in for an MOT and service on Friday.

I'm under thumb ;)

Bob

stuartpengs

Reaction score
It's been a while since I last fished it but it is a wonderful stretch of water with some clonking great roach it it spend yer money Bob as it's far too good for southerners and should have been moved up here!:D

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Enough of that Mr. Roe, I'll make sure a take a small Fixed spool with the trotting rod, as as not to disturb those Southern Roach.

And as you well know those Barbel in the Ribble were illegally stocked in a river facing the wrong way ;)

Mind you, you have a Few Genuine Golf Courses in your part of the World :rolleyes:

Hope you are keeping Alan ?

Bob