Which Float Rod

Ross

Reaction score
I'm looking to spend between £100 and £150 on a new float rod. I usually fish for silvers on still water on the float but occasionally will hit a reasonable size tench.

Any suggestions guys?

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
You've a lot of choice at that price and you'll get a superb rod for the money. Might be worth checking out the new John Allerton match waggler rod from Tri Cast which if you shop around might well just sneak in within your budget.

Failing that the Shakespeare Mach III can be found at around £85 and comes highly recommended.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
hi ross,
well I have used loads of rods from diawa to shimano, but my new favorite is preston inovations excel range. I have just treated myself to the 17ft model and it is superb!
this range is a little out of your price range, but the next one down is the c range which are superb for the money and built to the same quality as all preston rods (made in japan!) and have the same parabolic action as the top of the range excels!
Another rod to look at is the maver reactolite range, superb quality for the money! Drennan make some nice float rods too, but IMO the graphics are a little over the top!
mark

walney1956

Reaction score
I echo Rons recommendation. I have three Drennan float rods, Series 7 Carp Waggler, the Matchpro Ultralight and the Crystalight which is now discountinued. They are all great rods to fish with. I recently bought the Matchpro and looked at the Series 7 Silverfish but decided on the Matchpro as a treat. I had no doubt the Silverfish would have done the job perfectly.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I wouldn't bother with Drennen float rods, over rated IMO, there are better rods for less money on the market.

Preston's are top notch and for the money you have, you should get what your looking for. Shakespear do some very good rod's for that money, and the new John Allerton from Tri Cast is meant to be the Dogs swinging bits.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
In that price range for that sort of work I'd go Preston. I have a Drennan Matchpro Ultralight which is a fantastic roach rod but my Preston Sentient is more of an all rounder and,on balance,would be the one I kept if I had to have only one rod for everything. Not much it can't do more than competently and does most things very well.