Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Trotting-- sitting or standing.

I do alot of wading to mid river when trotting and standing doesn't scare the fish at all. Only recently I've been catching barbel / chub etc that have followed my loose feed at the end of the rod tip. Many times I've had barbel amongst other fish species jumping within 3 or 4ft of me when standing mid river totally unconcerned about me being there.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tigger View Post
    standing doesn't scare the fish at all. Only recently I've been catching barbel / chub etc that have followed my loose feed at the end of the rod tip. Many times I've had barbel amongst other fish species jumping within 3 or 4ft of me when standing mid river totally unconcerned about me being there.
    Spot on mate!

standing

I feel more in touch and able to control the float when standing
    PaSC British by birth, English by the grace of God
    I got the devil in my blood,Telling' me what to do
    (And I'm all ears), Britain's premier bread angler

Standing, and as per other posts I also tend to use my chest waders quite a bit.
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

Always trot from standing position as float control is the most important aspect of this style. Regular feed draws the fish in to you and so long as you are not a complete wally will not put the fish off.

One tip I found useful from a real expert, was that if wading and trotting, always try to keep a bank of weed between you and the run you feed. I am constantly amazed at how close the fish will come. In fact once whilst maggot trotting, with the inevitable spillage from baiting, I felt something brush against my legs, looking down it was quite a big barbel. Not being one to look a gift horse in the mouth I dropped the tackle in, the fish took it first time and shot off between my legs; this could have been really embarassing. Luckily I was using a pin so just let the fish go and passed the rod between my legs....I got some funny looks and comments from the lads on the opposite bank, but had the last laugh with an 8lb barbel.

One other trotting tip I have found invaluable, is to use a heavier float than you think you need because the extra control it gives can make all the diffrence between a blank or a good day. Also if the weather takes a turn for the worse (almost guaranteed these days!) and the wind gets going that heavier set up means you don't have to change it and upset the established feeding and trotting pattern by messing about.

Finally if wading always wear waders...I used to wet wade a lot. This is okay in the summer but I used to do this in the winter sometimes but after my legs turned blue, a really interestng navy colour with my legs remaining blotchy with not much feeling for weeks, I decided investment in waders might be good for my health!

Blog Entries

Almost always standing, but introducing loose feed downstream of me so that the fish are accepting it further down than where I'm stood.

Standing for me as well. IMO the line control is better particularly at distances of 30/40 yds or more and the strike a little cleaner if you know what I mean..

Probably a throwback from match fishing days when standing seemed to make one feel you were working harder!
    Trotting the Thames back in the early 60's with a 14' spanish reed rod complete with split cane top section for 3/4 hours took some doing but then money was involved!!

Mostly standing but if from a high bank I prefer sitting if possible otherwise you're much too high to control the line. Certainly pole fishing is generally much easier on a river if you're sitting. Like to see anglers using chest waders on many of the swims I fish; you'll need a snorkel and periscope!

Roach fishing benefits from the keep low/little disturbance approach more than other fish especially if they're close in.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12