Chub Record Gone?

C

Coops

I heard a rumour today that the chub record has been broken with a 9lb plus fish from the Thames. Got it from the owner of a tackle shop that knows the guy who caught it. Supposed to be in AT on Tuesday. Anyone else heard anything?

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
from keith Arthur
"The owner of the shop told me this on FB this morning.
the Chub was Caught from a private estate lake, fed from the Thames. Permission to fish has just been granted after 50yrs+ of no fishing.The rights are held by Acorn Angling (no, NOT Acorn Antiques) who have also acquired the rights to the adjacent Thames, where tickets will be sold, Only 4 people will be fishing the lake.the shop owner, one of his staff (who caught the fish), and two others, not even his own son!"

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

No rumour, was from Oxford stillwater. Two sources, one tells me 24 1/2 inches long the other 26.

P

paul williams 2

Wol......i heard on KA's programme that Marsh had witnessed it, do you know if this is true?

Also that the captor worked in a local tackle shop, Joe's?

P

paul williams 2

Then again i may have misheard......i was trying to listen and do something else and snatched Marsh's name being mentioned.

Anyone seen any pics?

G

Geoff Cowen

It won?t count then coming from a still water - well it shouldn't! What next a thirty pound Barbel for a Carp puddle.

P

paul williams 2

You will upset Ron, Geoff......getting your bait in the swim first! :)

C

Coops

What a load of bull! If it swims and survives to that size what the hell does it matter? Purist narrow mindedness in my view.

Also if what's been said above is true it's also survived to that size on neglect, not on the old 'it's only big because of carp anglers baits' baloney either.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Get off the fence Coops, tell us what you really think :eek:)

P

paul williams 2

If one of us was lucky enough to spot such a fish would any of us have the will power NOT to fish for it?.........i now i would, fish for it that is!

C

Coops

Well, its true isn't it. Someone ought to tell the the fish not to grow that big then we won't have a difference of opinion! :)

R

Rodney Wrestt

A nice lump of smelly cheese paste would do the trick....... good how we can all catch these monsters... on here anyway init?

R

Rodney Wrestt

Yes, I'd wet a line for it too Paul, pretty shallow that way, I don't care where it lives, my moto is if it's wet, fish for it.....

R

Rodney Wrestt

There are a couple of activities it can be applied to Jase :eek:)

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
i heard it all on fishermans blues on saturday morning.greg whitehead mentioned this to keith during their weekly chinwag,then one of the chaps who witnessed this fish came on air to tell keith the whole story.
the fish came from a lake fed by the thames,its a lake stuffed full of natural food,the chub was caught on bread,it was spotted and caught by a chap who was fishing for pike at the time,if i remember correctly it weighed 9lbs 4oz and was 26-29 inches long.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Still Water Chub were around in the 1970's and I loved fishing for them spraying maggot/caster (not at 9lb though!). Those gravel pits still hold Chub which I assume are a couple of generations "down the line" and are therefore "natural" to the venue??

"it was spotted and caught by a chap who was fishing for pike at the time"

Nick, if it was "spotted", it was probably a Trout anyway!!!

captain carrott

Reaction score
Those gravel pits still hold Chub which I assume are a couple of generations "down the line" and are therefore "natural" to the venue??

plus the area a few miles either side of the thames was under 6 foot of water back in about 2001, so it could easily have swum in from the river 5 years ago

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Agreed Capt.

The pit I was on about is down in Hampshire and is not capable of being flooded by a river. The Chub were introduced to them back in the 1960's (I think from the upper Avon or Nadder) along with Roach and Bream.

They've been there a long time but do not get anywhere near 6lb let alone 9lb even though the pits have been dominated by Carp fishing for the past 20 years.