Barbel on the pole

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Right - this is not in Baitbox so not a wind up but

Give that decent sized carp can be landed from still waters on 20 elastics - what size barbel do you think could SAFELY be landed (if at all) on a pole in rivers

First off I wouldn't like to even think about it on a river like the Trent - too fast flowing but say the Rother in summer time when the flow is gentle - would you want to hook a decent barbel on a pole- myself NO - even in summer the barbel and chub find the snags and use the current.

Over to you

sam vimes

Reaction score
Not for me. Fish in a stillwater are a totally different proposition to a fish in flowing water.

chav professor

Reaction score
I have a friend i fish with and every year he says he wants to bring a pole to fish tight to snags and get out and illusive big chub......

I always think it is to cumbersome and doesn't fit in with my river roving spirit - if he ever gets around to it, I'll let you know how he gets on.

barbelboi

Reaction score
The only time I use a pole on a river is to ferry the bait and end tackle safely under a raft, bush, etc. over the other side.

Bluenose

Reaction score
I know someone who used to use a pole on the severn to land some decent nets of shoalie sized barbel on the pole. He was an experienced angler using the pole to catch fish in the 4-6lb range using hemp and casters, nothing wrong with that imo.

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
Absolutely no point in fishing for barbel with a Pole, they wouldn't know how to fish a pole unless they could cast in a bolt rig and put the pole on alarms.

Right back to the real fishing <smiles>

dezza

Reaction score
I say sah - as a newly elected chief inspector in the Barbel Police, I demand that you cut out that talk right now, otherwise I'll send round my sergeant to arrest you.

quickcedo

Reaction score
I have a very good friend who happens to be a matchman. His choice is to fish the pole wherever and whenever he can. To-date his pb Barbel is 11lb 6oz. I also saw an 11lb 2oz Barbel caught at the Evesham festival on the pole a couple of years ago. Personally (although not my choice) I have no problem with the use of the pole for Barbel.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with a Pole if it is capable of handling Big Carp, it could easily handle a Barbel.

They have taken Carp up to 40lbs on the Pole at a local lake to me, as long as there is room on the river to play the fish I can't see a problem.

A 10lb River Carp fights harder than a 10lb River Barlel, so I can't see a problem with it !!

Bob

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I have caught chub , carp and barbel on my pole from the Colne.
biggest carp was 12lb. For fast flowing swims a pulla bung helps.

richiekelly

Reaction score
depends on the river being fished, the river i am fishing has a lot of overhanging trees, a pole would not be suitable as the elastic would allow the fish to reach any snags beneath the tree.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Peter, they will be asking you to write an article next.

Don't forget to cover Swim Selection ?

Bob

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
depends on the river being fished, the river i am fishing has a lot of overhanging trees, a pole would not be suitable as the elastic would allow the fish to reach any snags beneath the tree.

I only use the pole to fish close or under overhanging or sunken trees, otherwise I would use a rod.

richiekelly

Reaction score
Peter, they will be asking you to write an article next.

Don't forget to cover Swim Selection ?

Bob

sarcasm bob, oh dear.

---------- Post added at 18:33 ---------- Previous post was at 18:31 ----------

I only use the pole to fish close or under overhanging or sunken trees, otherwise I would use a rod.

as i have never used a pole peter i would be interested in knowing if the stretch in the elastic puts enough pressure on a fish to keep them out of snags.

chav professor

Reaction score
I remember seeing Martin Bowler using a pole and cupping gear to ship out a bait for the barbel on a famous bedfordshire syndicate water.

Still - got to bring a pole along with you..... what if you upsticks and want to move?

I can see it has its limitations and advantages - like any method, it has its day....... Its whatever floats ya boat.

Bluenose

Reaction score
i would be interested in knowing if the stretch in the elastic puts enough pressure on a fish to keep them out of snags

Depends on the size of the elastic and how tight it is set in the pole mate. I've never fished for barbel with a pole but the same principle applies when fishing the pole for other species.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
sarcasm bob, oh dear.

Who Me Peter, Never !!

If they can land 30-40lb Carp on Poles and elastic, they can certainly land Double figour Barbel from rivers, I guess you would apply the same set of rules as fishing with normal tackle.

Is the Pole and elastic strong enough and is there room to play the fish safely.

I'm sure the Match anglers fishing Commercials Ponds stocked Barbel would have No Trouble landing Barbel from Rivers ?

Bob

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I've had two (4lbish) barbel on the pole using hydro, whilst after perch in a tight little corner on my local little river. The first was just a fluke, the second was just luck! Both fought OK but I was surprised, once I realised what I'd hooked, at how easily and quickly they came to the net.

The Sea Trout I hooked on the lower Stour a couple of years ago was something else tho! :eek:mg: