Short float rods.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'm pretty good with a stick and I've never yet felt that I was disadvantaged using a 13' rod.

I'm OK, without being the best. However, I can think of one situation where no amount of skill will compensate, a swim that's over twelve to thirteen feet deep.;) Exactly the scenarios where I use long rods, though now I have found good ones I'll use them in shallower water too to give me the ability to fish that little further out and still retain good control.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I'll happily concede the point about deep swims but the rivers I normally fish just aren't that deep. I remain unconvinced about better control unless the rod is significantly longer than 13' and then [so far as I'm concerned] the pivot point/girlie wrist thing comes into play. My mate who IS blessed with the arms,wrists,build & general demeanour of a gorilla has gone up to a 14' rod but I maintain that an extra foot is neither here nor there....especially when you are built like him. I could cope with 14' but above that I know I'd struggle.

When it comes to trotting a stick float well [or any float fixed top & bottom] I think there are things more crucial to control/presentation than length of the rod eg float selection ,weight, shotting pattern and how you let the float run at them.

Robert Woods

Reaction score
I like my 13ft rod for stickfloat fishing as it has a crisp action and don't miss many bites. Has plenty of power when big chub come a long and ideal for odd carp & tench on stillwaters. After many PM's exchanged with Paul I got a 11ft Drennan Carp Waggler rod, £70 from Dave's. Christened it with a couple of crucians & silver fish. Ideal for what I wanted. Thanks for input...;).