Short float rods.

Robert Woods

Reaction score
I have to make most of my fishing time as cannot go all day as I did in past plus cost of travel. I enjoy feeder fishing with flat method feeder for bream and watching float go under. Have tried to get back into my carping but soon get bored. Anyway I have been using a Greys G-Tec 13ft Power float rod. It has done well in River Dane on stickfloat for small roach etc. Also had carp to 14lb on float as well. But there are a few smaller pools that I fish where rod is a big overgunned regarding to length. Was thinking of an 11ft or 12ft rod that would do for silver fish and odd bigger fish. What about 12ft Drennan pellet waggler rods...?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Robert,
pellet rods, commercial rods, carp float whatever they get called are usually quite a different action to anything that I'd want to use for stick float fishing. They are not quick enough in the tip for me and have too much of a through action. I suspect that a short (11') "match" rod is what you should be looking out for. However, they are a bit thin on the ground. Loads of suitable 12' rods out there and as a bonus they are often in the budget match rod ranges of the bigger manufacturers.

I do reckon that the Korum Precision Compact Float might be ideal.
If cheap and cheerful floats your boat then have a look at the Daiwa D 11'.

Last edited:

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
hi mate,

what about the greys prodigy TX 11ft? nice progressive action with a 1lb test curve! a superb all round float rod!
I use mine for grayling, tench on the float and floater fishing for carp! Oh, and its only £80!

mark

guest61

Reaction score
I have to make most of my fishing time as cannot go all day as I did in past plus cost of travel. I enjoy feeder fishing with flat method feeder for bream and watching float go under. Have tried to get back into my carping but soon get bored. Anyway I have been using a Greys G-Tec 13ft Power float rod. It has done well in River Dane on stickfloat for small roach etc. Also had carp to 14lb on float as well. But there are a few smaller pools that I fish where rod is a big overgunned regarding to length. Was thinking of an 11ft or 12ft rod that would do for silver fish and odd bigger fish. What about 12ft Drennan pellet waggler rods...?

Hi Bob

I have a Preston 'mini float' its 11ft - it is excellent - I use it in my local canal for both silver fish and the odd lump.

Mark

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
well if the preston mini rods are as good as my excel 17ft they will be a wonderfull FISHING rod!

mark

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
The 11' Drennan Pellet Waggler is good but IMO the Shaky Mach 3 11' is better. Finer tip and perfectly capable of dealing with silvers but enough lower down for better fish. Really nice rod to fish with too.I'm a big fan of the current Shaky range,in addition to the 11' Mach 3 pw I've got both 10 and 11 foot Mach 3 feeder rods.They're excellent and as cheap as chips too.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Fellas, pellet waggler rods for stick float fishing, are you really serious?:confused::confused::confused::confused:
I've no doubt that the rods being recommended are cracking rods, for pellet waggler fishing. After spending a decent amount of time using my own 9-11ft pellet waggler rod there's not a chance in hell I'd use it on a small river with a stick float. Better than nothing and fair enough if you've already got one but buying one specifically with the intention of fishing a stick, no thanks.

guest61

Reaction score
Fellas, pellet waggler rods for stick float fishing, are you really serious?:confused::confused::confused::confused:
I've no doubt that the rods being recommended are cracking rods, for pellet waggler fishing. After spending a decent amount of time using my own 9-11ft pellet waggler rod there's not a chance in hell I'd use it on a small river with a stick float. Better than nothing and fair enough if you've already got one but buying one specifically with the intention of fishing a stick, no thanks.

I understand what you mean Sam but I didn't buy the Preston rod for pellet waggler fishing I wanted a short rod for fishing my local canal and for canal sized silver fish mixed in with the odd lump it is perfect - this is essentially still water fishing though. OBVIOUSLY there are better tools for out and out stick float fishing - See Mark Brailsford 2's post.

As Bob said on his OP he's currently using a 13ft Power rod for fishing what is a small river (Bob and I are in the same club) I'll agree that there does seem to be hole in the market for a proper short rod that isn't aimed at match angling for Carp. Something like the Shakespeare Sigma Canal of many moons ago. For me though, the Preston rod will fit the bill.

Mark

sam vimes

Reaction score
I understand what you mean Sam but I didn't buy the Preston rod for pellet waggler fishing I wanted a short rod for fishing my local canal and for canal sized silver fish mixed in with the odd lump it is perfect - this is essentially still water fishing though. OBVIOUSLY there are better tools for out and out stick float fishing - See Mark Brailsford 2's post.

As Bob said on his OP he's currently using a 13ft Power rod for fishing what is a small river (Bob and I are in the same club) I'll agree that there does seem to be hole in the market for a proper short rod that isn't aimed at match angling for Carp. Something like the Shakespeare Sigma Canal of many moons ago. For me though, the Preston rod will fit the bill.

Mark

Ahh, you have the advantage of knowing the OP and where he's fishing. The OP only mentions stick float fishing on the Dane and, on that alone (all I have to go on), I still can't believe anyone would recommend a pellet rod.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Pellet rod is just a marketing label. What a rod will do depends on the blank/rod ie I've used my Drennan "Pellet Waggler" to fish a small method feeder and it was perfectly happy doing so. Likewise my Mach 3 PW IMO is a little too subtle for "proper" PW work...but I'd happily fish a stick float with this on a small river. Not with a 1lb bottom maybe but it would more than do a job.

I've just got meself an 11' Drennan "Carp Feeder"....again just a label. Personally I think it might be the finest all round feeder/lead rod I own [and I have a few] . This I'd happily use for light/med river work...in fact anything other than big barbel.

There are a lot of rods out there that are incredibly versatile provided you are prepared to look beyond how its marketed & what its called. I once shelled out on what was [at the time] widely thought to be the ultimate barbel rod. Best tench rod I've ever used.:)

sam vimes

Reaction score
Pellet rod is just a marketing label. What a rod will do depends on the blank/rod ie I've used my Drennan "Pellet Waggler" to fish a small method feeder and it was perfectly happy doing so. Likewise my Mach 3 PW IMO is a little too subtle for "proper" PW work...but I'd happily fish a stick float with this on a small river. Not with a 1lb bottom maybe but it would more than do a job.

I've just got meself an 11' Drennan "Carp Feeder"....again just a label. Personally I think it might be the finest all round feeder/lead rod I own [and I have a few] . This I'd happily use for light/med river work...in fact anything other than big barbel.

There are a lot of rods out there that are incredibly versatile provided you are prepared to look beyond how its marketed & what its called. I once shelled out on what was [at the time] widely thought to be the ultimate barbel rod. Best tench rod I've ever used.:)

No argument from me about modern labelling and things being much more versatile than the label might suggest. However, anything marked up as "carp", "pellet" or "commercial" will have a quite different action to a rod destined for stick float use. In the modern era that requires something usually labelled as "match" or even "Fast Actioned Match" to even come close to the action of what would once have been labelled as a "Stick Float" rod. I know full well that my "Commercial Pellet Waggler" rod has a totally different action (totally wrong for stick float fishing IMO) to any of my "Match" rods. I'd be very annoyed if I bought one for stick float fishing based on forum recommendations. I'd be quite happy to use it for general waggler work if and when I needed a shorter rod but absolutely not for stick float work.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
You're right Sam...all I'm saying is that it will do a job albeit it wont be perfect but how many 11' Stick float rods are there out there ? If the length is that important then whatever the choice will by definition be a compromise.

I'm with you...if I was after a rod for stick float fishing then it would be a "match" or "silverfish" rod and no shorter than 12 ft....13 for preference. I grew up trotting stickfloats and despite the current vogue for longer rods I think these sort of rods are 13 ' for a very good reason. Its the optimum length for weight/balance/action etc.

And before the long rod devotees bombard me with scorn I will say only that if you get on with longer rods then I am delighted & pleased for you but I dont.I've tried them and I just cannot get on with them. All my "proper" float rods are 13'...I will not entertain anything shorter or longer for trotting. I dont buy the better control thing and I was not blessed with the wrists or arms of a gorilla [only the personality some might say ].They are fine in the shop or when you waggle one on the bank [oo-er] but I just know that 2 hours later my girlie wrists will have gone.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
You're right Sam...all I'm saying is that it will do a job albeit it wont be perfect but how many 11' Stick float rods are there out there ? If the length is that important then whatever the choice will by definition be a compromise.

I posted two 11ft rods that would be less of a compromise in my very first post.;) I have an old Abu 10ft match rod that I use in tight swims or becks/small rivers. I had a nightmare finding anything like that at the time I bought it.

I'm with you...if I was after a rod for stick float fishing then it would be a "match" or "silverfish" rod and no shorter than 12 ft....13 for preference. I grew up trotting stickfloats and despite the current vogue for longer rods I think these sort of rods are 13 ' for a very good reason. Its the optimum length for weight/balance/action etc.

Definitely 13' for prefence too, but they can be limiting in some swims or if you are trotting for much bigger fish. However.......

And before the long rod devotees bombard me with scorn I will say only that if you get on with longer rods then I am delighted & pleased for you but I dont.I've tried them and I just cannot get on with them. All my "proper" float rods are 13'...I will not entertain anything shorter or longer for trotting. I dont buy the better control thing and not being blessed with the wrists or arms of a gorilla [only the personality some might say ] I find them too tiring after a while.

..... I might suggest that you've not found the right rod yet. After a fair bit of trial and error, buying some pups along the way, I've now got a good collection of 15' rods that are eminently useable. A few of them are an absolute delight. On the lighter side, the old Fox Envoy Stick is a beauty. I'm hardly built like an outhouse but can use this all day long. On the heavier side (not necessarily in weight), the Shimano Aerocast Specimen 15' is my go to rod for barbel, big chub or deep swims. Again, I've used it all day long. Yes, I was knackered at the end of the day but only after catching multiple barbel.;):) Still haven't found a rod longer than 15' that I like yet though.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Sorry...longer than 13' is not for me. I have tried [honest] but I just dont like them,particularly with a fish on...doesn't "feel" right to me and frankly [without wishing to sound pompous] I'm pretty good with a stick and I've never yet felt that I was disadvantaged using a 13' rod. I have been impressed by a couple but not so impressed I felt the need to have one.

The Korum does sound good but I'd be surprised if it could do all that it claims it can do equally well. If it can then its some rod.