What is the definition of a tackle tart?

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
hi guys,
was watching sat morning kitchen today and I heard Paul Whitehouse say that, because he likes the best gear folk say to him ''all the gear and no idea'' but what gives folk the right to say things like that?
I have always liked nice stuff and will save for months for something if I really want it. (it does help if you are not married, have no kids and don't run a motor..lol!!) but I get really fed up with folk calling me a tackle tart just because I have shimano reels etc, etc! but at the end of the day its up to me what I spend my money on. IMO there is no such thing as a tackle tart, its just a phrase made up by jealous folk!
I have never ''had a go'' at someone because they buy there tackle from Decathlon or go outdoors and I would never be so patronizing to tell anyone that their £40 rod is rubbish, so why have a go at me for having the tackle I want?
What's your opinions on this (sensitive) subject?

mark

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
For me a Tackle Tart is someone who buys the Tackle without actually knowing whether or not they need it, but they have to have it because that is what all the top Anglers are using. There's nothing wrong in them having it, i just don't think they know why they need it.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Sometimes it may be jealousy, but mainly used as banter IMO.
And I am a right tackle tart , ask skippy , who incidentally is
tackle tart número UNO .

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Being a tackle tart does not equate to having all the gear and no idea. Providing the tackle tart in question does know what they are about. I've met many an accomplished angler that was a complete tackle tart.

I'd suggest that an ultimate carping tackle tart is someone that, on top of lining everything else up perfectly, even lines up reel handles.

For other styles of angling, just look at stuff that matches. Full sets of one make of matching luggage is a fair indicator. Full sets of one range of rod, matching reels for float and feeder fishing etc.

I have no problem at all with being accused of being a tackle tart, I rather suspect I am. Those making the comment are usually saying it in good humour and with a tinge of jealousy thrown in.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
I'm the most untidy angler I know, I would like to be a bit more of a Tackle Tart, but it's not in me.

Most of the anglers I know and fish with are Tackle Tarts (not you Ossie !!), they are not only tidy but great with presentation of bait at the business end.

Of course this has nothing to do with Catching or P.B. lists, it just makes life easier because they know where everything is ?

Bob

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Sometimes it may be jealousy, but mainly used as banter IMO.
And I am a right tackle tart , ask skippy , who incidentally is
tackle tart número UNO .

I protest....I am a shameless tackle tart but I dont buy stuff for the sake of it or because its the latest thing.I buy it to use and I do an awful lot of homework first before I part with any cash.That said I unashamedly admit that I do like owning & using nice gear but I will happily buy cheaper if whatever it is does the job.I picked up a 10' Shaky Mach 3 Feeder rod at the Game Fair for £30. Lovely little rod.

OK...sometimes I buy a rod or reel simply because I want one but if not now...when ?

I do "upgrade" every now and then too. Bit like a snake shedding its skin.:D

As for tidy that I most certainly am not. Organised,yes but quite untidy on the bank...better than I was though.

Numero Uno ? Not by a long way.

---------- Post added at 08:11 ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 ----------

Didn't see you two with barrows loaded to the sky at MF;)

Nor will you. I will die in a ditch before I own a barrow,carp rod,pole,bivvy or any reel above 4000 size. Its just not what I do.

Last edited:

mol

Reaction score
Being a tackle tart is nothing to be ashamed of, it just means you like good quality tackle and are prepared to pay for it.

Taken to the extreme in the carp world it gets a bit form over function and almost OCD at times. I know people that use a spirt level to line up bank sticks and lets not even start on the folding reel handles whilst fishing in order to get your rods as close as possible.:eek:mg:

1stop4

Reaction score
I'd say the purest definition of a tackle tart would be someone who would buy three new rods, reels, bite alarms etc if deciding to upgrade from two to three set ups as a carp angler but his existing gear was discontinued. :)

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
................well I have to say that I use Shimano's (yes,TWO of them!) AND I align everything including the reel bale arm with the first rod ring (sorry Mr Vimes!) and whatsmore I'm not ashamed to admit it!
I also spent £100 on Saturday at Harefield tackle shop just on bits and pieces which included TWO diameters of PVA string....

This was offset by taking my wife for tea and cake at the Dog rescue centre just down the road from the shop!

Not only am I a self confessed 'tart' but I know how to show a women a good time with no expense spared!!

ps What a great tackle shop that is!!

barbelboi

Reaction score
Certainly is TC, been going there for about 25 years. If you want to show a woman a good time with no expense spared take her to the local garage and buy her some Costa Coffee and a doughnut and watch your wallet loose weight:eek:mg:;)

sam vimes

Reaction score
................well I have to say that I use Shimano's (yes,TWO of them!) AND I align everything including the reel bale arm with the first rod ring (sorry Mr Vimes!) and whatsmore I'm not ashamed to admit it!

No need to apologise. However, I wasn't talking about lining up bail arms, that can make sense depending on where you position your bite indicator. Nope, what I was talking about are those that do all that and then make sure that the handles are all at the same angle. I've even known one or two that make sure the spools are at the same point in their oscillation cycle. Don't even get me started on the folding handles thing. What the hell is that about?:confused:;):D

agamemnon

Reaction score
i get told im a tackle tart. i have to have 3 matching rods on my pod with matching reals and i spend good money on good gear.
but and here is the but, i dont upgrade my gear every year, my carp rods are 2.5 shimano quartz lite my predator rods are 3.5 daiwa dictators and my reels are daiwa emblem big pits. my bite alarms are optonics from the 80's and i only use a cheap fox a pod. my newest item of tackle are the dictators and they are at least 11 years old. i still tie all my hook links and hair rigs exactly the same way as i did 15-20 years ago
my fishing partner on the other hand has good quality budget rods, shimano bait runners and top of the range fox alarms on his stainless pod. he will go to great lenths to get this matching bobbins or swingers to sit exactly level, his rods will all be on the same level and his reel handles will all be in the same position. he will follow the latest trends in hook links and anti eject rigs
my mate will then sit back and laugh at my set up pointing out my reels are out of line and my bobbins are all difrrent colours and at different heights.
at the end of the day what ever makes you feel confident isnt a bad thing as its the confidence on the bank that helps us bring fish to the net and keeps us coming back time after time.