New Type Hardy Conquest Centrepin Reel

stuartpengs

Reaction score
Do yourself a favour Bob keep your brass in your pocket!
They are not well made the three handles idea is a badly thought out idea for a unique selling point.
The first batch of these reels that were sent to a major Northwest supplier were all sent back as faulty.
The design is poor and will allow dirt ingress into the back of the reel especially if you keep your gentles in maize meal as that stuff gets everywhere!
There are many vastly better reels on the market at price points above and indeed well below the price of these reels.
The way these were advertised anglers were given the impression that they were a British product as it was all "Designed in Britain" aye and made in China!
They will sell some of them as there is a group of people who will buy anything with the Hardy Brand on it though some of these will have an eye on the future collectors market though frankly the collectors market tends to concentrated on UK made stuff.
Sadly this reel is a symbol of an awful disease wherin once great manufacturing companies are now importers of tat which they continue to try and shift at over inflated prices trading on once great names relying on the power of advertising to bring in the suckers.

I suppose that's shot my chance of a few freebies from Hardy Greys!:D:D

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Do yourself a favour Bob keep your brass in your pocket!
They are not well made the three handles idea is a badly thought out idea for a unique selling point.
The first batch of these reels that were sent to a major Northwest supplier were all sent back as faulty.
The design is poor and will allow dirt ingress into the back of the reel especially if you keep your gentles in maize meal as that stuff gets everywhere!
There are many vastly better reels on the market at price points above and indeed well below the price of these reels.
The way these were advertised anglers were given the impression that they were a British product as it was all "Designed in Britain" aye and made in China!
They will sell some of them as there is a group of people who will buy anything with the Hardy Brand on it though some of these will have an eye on the future collectors market though frankly the collectors market tends to concentrated on UK made stuff.
Sadly this reel is a symbol of an awful disease wherin once great manufacturing companies are now importers of tat which they continue to try and shift at over inflated prices trading on once great names relying on the power of advertising to bring in the suckers.

I suppose that's shot my chance of a few freebies from Hardy Greys!

Now come on Alan, don't go sitting on the fence tell us what you really think . . . . . . .

sam vimes

Reaction score

Interesting to note that Greys appear to have done similar with the Bewick. However, the early batches do indeed have "Made in England" engraved on the back. The newer ones don't. Ironically, the later ones get better reviews than the early ones. Greys Bewick Centrepin Reel

chav professor

Reaction score
i am surprised that Hardy got back into coarse fishing - it is a tough nut to crack, especially when you discover that a once great institution only has an office in Alnwick.....

Are J W Young centre pin reels still made in the UK? I think the John Wilson C.P. (once the guard is removed) is a lovely reel....... I am seriously considering a Ray Walton rolling pin for my 40th:w

mark barrett 2

Reaction score
wouldnt touch the rolling pin mate unless you use braid as these put horrendous twist in mono.

stuartpengs

Reaction score
The John Wilson is a pretty reel.
Sam I have reviewed the later Bewick and it is essentially a good reel and was indeed better than the earlier version the only thing you have to watch is the edges of the reel foot mount are sharp and will cut line if you are a bit enthusiastic when Wallis casting I carefully radiused those edges on my reel with a warding file it only takes a few minutes and a bit of care and it is worth the effort.
Gawd Sam I just clicked on that link I didn't realise that I did that review back in 08!

sam vimes

Reaction score
Gawd Sam I just clicked on that link I didn't realise that I did that review back in 08!

Alan,
I hadn't read it back this time around myself. I may have noticed that it was written by your good self if I had:eek:;). I originally read it just before I'd just won an ebay auction for one. I didn't have a clue which version I'd be getting. I was a little disappointed to find it was the MK1 version but I don't think I've encountered any problems beyond the usual that any numpty with pin would encounter. It certainly doesn't appear to have the sharp edges that you mentioned in the review. I quite like the fact that it's like a more traditional pin with a modern feel and look rather than some of the bling-fests from the likes of Okuma. Doesn't look out of place on a carbon rod and isn't so heavy as to unbalance a light one. Can't say that I'm unhappy with it even if I doubt I'll become a pin enthusiast or even buy another one.

barbelboi

Reaction score
i am surprised that Hardy got back into coarse fishing - it is a tough nut to crack, especially when you discover that a once great institution only has an office in Alnwick.....

Are J W Young centre pin reels still made in the UK? I think the John Wilson C.P. (once the guard is removed) is a lovely reel....... I am seriously considering a Ray Walton rolling pin for my 40th:w

Have a look at this one Chav, IMO a very good reel.

Retiarius: J. W. Young BJ Lightweight Centrepin Reel

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Thanks Alan,

A mate of mine has just sold his original Conquest's and got one of the New Models.

I thought it was a bit strange, as I really like the original Conquest ?

Still his loss, my gain !!

Bob

stuartpengs

Reaction score
Bob you did well your old conquests will still be giving sterling service long after his new ones have worn out!
Enjoy!

chav professor

Reaction score
wouldnt touch the rolling pin mate unless you use braid as these put horrendous twist in mono.

cheers for that Mark... Fine for 30lb braid, a lump of plastercine and half a tin of luncheon meat..... Hadn't thought of the line twist.... Probably have a look at one of the light weight models as per barbelboi - anyway------still a few months left of being a thirty something:w

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score

I say old chav does that imply that you can't wallis cast? :eek: Get yourself a wide drum Fred Crouch.

stuartpengs

Reaction score
As ever to those who cannot as yet Wallis cast I am always prepared to show you how to the only conditions are that you have to come to god's own county of Lancashire and you have to be prepared to teach at least one other for the same price I charge you.i.e. free!

chav professor

Reaction score
I say old chav does that imply that you can't wallis cast? :eek: Get yourself a wide drum Fred Crouch.

I can cast off the reel and Wallis cast (where is that smiley with the look of indignance) - and probably as far as I would ever need to with half a tin of spam on the hook:D Just like the look of the reel. I have seen Fred's wide drums on Ebay and a few on the banks on the Royalty....

I am having a look at JW youngs and they do a few models with an inch wide drum.....

I woud love a Chris Lythe - but it would have to be a 44th birthday present....