Fishing Lesson's ?

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
As a (once apon a time) decent Golfer I would have a Golf Lesson from the Club Proffessional if I had a problem with my swing ?

How many anglers would have lessons if they developed a problem with a part of their fishing.

As an example, say you could not Wallis cast and wanted to learn, would struggle on after watching a DVD/reading an article or go to an expert to learn about the technique ?

Bob

sam vimes

Reaction score
When I was younger I'd have jumped at the chance of proper lessons. However, there was no chance that I could have afforded proper lessons.
Now I'm a bit older, would still benefit from the odd lesson here and there, but would begrudge paying. I also suspect that I'm a little too stuck in my ways to take instruction easily.

However, for an individual technique such as fly casting or Wallis casting with a centrepin, which I'd never or rarely attempted before, I'd be prepared to bite the bullet if I were struggling.

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
I once contacted a well known angler and enquired about getting some lessons off of him on fishing the Waggler, of course he said, and the cost ...... £50.00p an hour.

I kindly said thanks but i couldn't afford it, i have since been told he now does the day for £200.00p. I can't and won't justify paying that much for something that is a hobby, if it was my livelyhood then that would be different.

I am a self taught angler and learnt through reading magazines (in my early days) DVD's and Videos and in the last few years the internet and forums. It doesn't teach me everything but it gives me a foundation to work from. This is why i ask a lot of questions so that i can form images in my mind that i can then transfer on to the topic i'm trying out.

So if ever i seem to be getting annoying asking questions, there is a method to my madness :)

Now, if ever anyone wants to take me fishing and teach me how to fish the waggler proficiently then they are more than welcome, you might even get a brew and a sandwich for your troubles (well we live in hope)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Steph,

Anytime you are 'down South' I'll give you a day on the waggler, free of any charge, and I'll throw in the bait, the lunch and dinner to boot.

Alternatively, are you going to the cannon versus fodder match?

Its a great method to fish and pretty simple too when you know how . . . .

cozzaa

Reaction score
I could never justify paying anything for a hobby that already costs me so.

Anything i need to learn, or need assistance with, the web generally gives a good basis to go on.

I learnt the basics of course fishing from my old man. I self learnt the old fly casting method over in Ireland.

Carping i got into from my cousin who had an experienced old boy who took him (was a family friend of his).

Now, i browse forums, hit youtube (helpful for different rigs and nots etc). I'm not scared to ask on the bank if i feel someone has more knowledge than me. You either get the very friendly type, or those who look down for not already knowing.

Steph, I would like the idea of meeting folks from the forums on the bank, would be nice way to attain info and exchange tips and the like. As i said, i have very few i can talk to in relation to fishing, a brother who comes now and then but with little enthusiam. A cousin who works the days i have off and an old man who has lost all interest other then the odd river day (we also clash a LOT lol and any trips out usualy end up with us not talking all the way home)

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
Steph,

Anytime you are 'down South' I'll give you a day on the waggler, free of any charge, and I'll throw in the bait, the lunch and dinner to boot.

Alternatively, are you going to the cannon versus fodder match?

Its a great method to fish and pretty simple too when you know how . . . .

Peter, if ever i am down that way i will gladly take you up on your offer (you truly are a gentleman), the cannon v fodder i'm afraid not, i am still quite poorly and struggle to get about much. I think i have got the basics of Waggler fishing right i just lack confidence in what i am doing (if that makes sense).

---------- Post added at 12:53 ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 ----------

Steph, I would like the idea of meeting folks from the forums on the bank, would be nice way to attain info and exchange tips and the like. As i said, i have very few i can talk to in relation to fishing, a brother who comes now and then but with little enthusiam. A cousin who works the days i have off and an old man who has lost all interest other then the odd river day (we also clash a LOT lol and any trips out usualy end up with us not talking all the way home)

cozzaa, i'm not sure where you are from but if there are any memebrs close to you i am sure one or maybe more would go for a days fishing with you. Just ask you never know what will crop up.

---------- Post added at 12:54 ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 ----------

I've booked a 4 hours fly fishing lesson - but only because I got it at a special price of £40

That is a bargain sir paul, did you have to provide the Port and Stilton ?

cozzaa

Reaction score
From Erdington Birmingham.

from Staff's....you ever hit Baden Hall??

and yes thats a very good deal on those lessons. fair play. Fly fishing is something i cannot get into unless on the river shannon in Ireland :)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Steph,

I'm sorry to hear that you are still struggling.

Anyway, thats an open invitation for anytime you are down my way, or indeed if I get to come further north for a change as I owe a certain previous Editor a visit . . . . .

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Strange isn't it ?

I worked at a number of what you would call Working Class Golf Clubs, where the majority of players had to scrimp and scrape to save up the money to join the club each year.

But if they had a problem with their swing, they went straight to the Pro for a lesson ?

Why don't we do that with fishing ?

I know at times I have really struggled with distance casting and after my Heart Attack I wonder if other types of fishing would be too much of a strain ?

I have No Problem with paying for a lesson, it's a mental thing I reckon ?

Bob

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
It used to be Bob that the local fishing Clubs had well seasoned experienced anglers who were more than welcome to teach someone how to fish a certain technique and they didn't even want charging for it ...... you don't see much of that these days, well unless it is someone showing the juniors.

dannytaylor

Reaction score
I think anglers have a tradition of passing on info to help others (take this forum for example) Once you have fished for sometime just as much pleasure can be gained from helping others, for this reason the culture of paying for lessons has not taken hold in "grass routes" angling due to help and info being freely given. I can understand a salmon angler paying for an expensive beat/boat and then employing a guillie for local guidance/experience. Or a sea angler chartering a boat and skipper. But paying "top dollar" for coarse angling tuition, i cant see it catching on. There seem to be a few celebrity anglers making a buck out of carp angling tutorials, supply and demand i suppose. I take my hat off to them i wouldnt have the patience with a complete stranger.

chubby48

Reaction score
I once contacted a well known angler and enquired about getting some lessons off of him on fishing the Waggler, of course he said, and the cost ...... £50.00p an hour.

I kindly said thanks but i couldn't afford it, i have since been told he now does the day for £200.00p. I can't and won't justify paying that much for something that is a hobby, if it was my livelyhood then that would be different.

I am a self taught angler and learnt through reading magazines (in my early days) DVD's and Videos and in the last few years the internet and forums. It doesn't teach me everything but it gives me a foundation to work from. This is why i ask a lot of questions so that i can form images in my mind that i can then transfer on to the topic i'm trying out.

So if ever i seem to be getting annoying asking questions, there is a method to my madness :)

Now, if ever anyone wants to take me fishing and teach me how to fish the waggler proficiently then they are more than welcome, you might even get a brew and a sandwich for your troubles (well we live in hope)
correct pal we never stop learning---but to pay that AAAAGGGGHHHH

thames steve

Reaction score
Plenty of people paying angling guides for days out, which amounts to tuition on rivercraft and techniques specific to certain species.