Dumb Groundbait Question

S

Shrek

I've always mixed whatever flavour groundbait (normally Lake 3000) with brown crumb and then fished with this. My question then is this, do you always use brown crumb, or is it OK and useful to just mix 2 sorts of groundbait together?

Your comments from experience would be appreciated.

Thanks

Adrian

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Lake 3000 and brown crumb are okay. You can mix more or less any type of proprietary groundbaits together, several if you fancy it, and it won't do any harm. Whether the mix will be an improvement on just one of those is the real question and most of the time I think not.

Adding things like crushed hemp to feeder mixes to make it explode out of the feeder better is a good practical example of adding more ingredients, but adding an additional liquid flavour to one mix is probably just as good as mixing two together.

Just enjoy experimenting. It makes you feel good if you make a good catch, even when the experiment had nowt to do with it!

S

Shrek

Thanks Graham,

On the back of that I have another question. I have only ever put whole hemp in groundbait, never crushed. Can you buy this from tackle shops or do you crush it yourself? Also, what quantity would you put in with say a bag of Lake 3000 and the equivalent amount of brown crumb?

Thanks

Adrian

M

michael hall

yes you can buy crushed hemp from you local tackle shop! You can also crush it your self but ive never tried it!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
You use uncooked hemp and crush it with a blender or coffee bean grinder. Mix it 1 part fancy groundbait, (ie, Lake 3000) 1 part brown crumb and 1 part crushed hemp.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Adrian,
When you add the crushed hemp you should leave the mix to soak a little longer as the mix will dry out quicker and need topping up with more water, (unless it's going in a feeder) this makes it awkward to get the balls to stay together for throwing in, when making the balls wet your hands to put a wet skin around each ball as it helps keep it together. Brown crumb is used for bulking out continental grounbait as it is cheaper (groundbait is around ?2.80 per kilo, brown crumb around ?1 per kilo) and helps makes the ground bait last a session.

T

Thomas Homer

when i'm feeder fishing i always add brown crumb to my other flavoured groundbait(usually a bream or feeder mix). Mix each groundbait with each other 50:50, then add the goodies like your hemp etc...
i use hemp whole with my groundbait and it works fine, but then again i haven't really tried crushed hemp. i also add other stuff to it like sweetcorn, casters, and chopped worm.
extras like special flavourings, curry powder and mollasses etc... are an option to try as well.
BUT......... one of the main ingredients i never forget are OXO CUBES. these are brilliant. this bloke i saw fishing recomended them and the first time i tried it i had a good bream out. i just wish i could see him now and thank him.
some people may have already tried this but if you haven't DO IT!
and thats about it, i'm only 15 and is always trying out new things, but if you don't, you won't get anywhere unless someone tells you.
hope this is of some help. it certainly works for me!

T

Thomas Homer

i almost forgot. if you do try oxo cubes break up about 6 cubes to every whole bag of groundbait.

M

Michael Hall

OXO Cubes, Might as well take a sunday dinner as well!

T

Thomas Homer

haven't you ever heard of using them. like i said before, DO! it improves it a lot for some reason with me, i don't know why. maybe i'm just lucky. Yay!!!

T

Thomas Homer

don't try and be funny. i'm just trying to answer the question. if you don't try it then it's your loss! don't even bother to write anything if your not going to be serious. you can go and catch your non-existent fish now. bye.

B

Birds Nest

Come on, it was only a joke, I don't think Andrew was being offensive... Perhaps you shouldn't be here if you cant take a joke...

S

T

Thomas Homer

i know it was a joke.
i'm just saying that just because i use oxo cubes in groundbait it doesn't need a load of different comments about it. the question was about groundbait.

i'm going to go and curl up and cry in my little corner now. BOO HOO!

S

Shrek

I appreciate all comments/suggestions posted. The humour keeps me going at work with a slight chuckle now and again. That's what I love about message boards, the way you can misinterperate someones words. Nature of the beast and all that.

I'm going to try various options on Saturday and see what works against what I feel confident using. Have to say I have never heard of using OXO cubes, but you never know. I know someone that once caught tench on deadbaits...............!!

I'll report back on Monday, or even Sunday, and let you know how I fare.

If I catch, all well and good, if I don't, it's your head Thomas (Joke !!)

Thanks

Adrian

T

Thomas Homer

i hope you do well. it always works for me.

(i bet you it doesn't work now, just to make me feel stupid!!)

Tight lines

D

Dave Green

Adrian,

I will also try out the OXO cubes - never hurts to try anything. Hopefully it will be more successful than the last fishing trip after a friend recommended a local lake - not even a bite after 5 hours!! I will let you know over the weekend as well

All the very best - and Thomas thanks for the tip, I hope you have many years of enjoying your fishing.