Your Rod Recommendations Please

Reaction score
My next rod purchases will be a couple of rods for trotting a float down the river.

1. I would like a 'light' rod for fishing for silvers and chub - say stick float/light waggler 2.5 to 4lb mainline.

2. A heavier rod for trotting for bigger chub and barbel - say 8-10lb mainline.

I would appreciate your recommendations of rods currently available please.

Matt

sam vimes

Reaction score
Any preferences on rod lengths? There's no point in recommending a fifteen footer if you are the type that refuses to believe that a fifteen foot rod can be any good! Then there's the question of budget, which you've not even hinted at. I'm pretty confident I can recommend one rod for both jobs.;)

Last edited:

Bluenose

Reaction score
1. Shakespeare mach III. Brilliant value, and even better value if you find last years' (an older) model.

2. I've got a drennan tench float but 8-10lb may be pushing it a bit, I'd probably go as far as 8lb main and 6lb hookllengths. I've also got a shimano beastmaster float but at 9 or 11ft it may be a bit short for trotting at distance, it's ace for down the edge though. Not sure if they do a longer version, but worth a look if they do!

Last edited:
Reaction score
13ft plus, I'm open to suggestions for various length options.

Budget - again I'm open to suggestions, but lets say £200 max. However, if there's a £60 rod that will do the job then why spend £200?

Bluenose

Reaction score
Shaky do some rods that can be extended with an extra section, it may be the superteam range, they felt really good but were more expensive, still well within your budget if I remember!

sam vimes

Reaction score
SHIMANO AEROCAST MATCH ACM45SPC 1 0NLY A MUST AT £175 | eBay

Just buy it (the sale is nothing to do with me btw). I've caught numerous barbel to just shy of 12lb on mine using 10lb mainline. I've also used it for catching small "bits" at which it is equally adept. Don't be put off when you research the oval blank and find the "gimmick" complaints. I can only conclude that such complainers have never really used one properly. If you can get a £60 rod that can do what it does, please let me know.

sam vimes

Reaction score
What BS hook length can the Aerocast go down to (2lb??)

I'll be honest and say that I've not used it with less that 2.6lb. However, I've little doubt that it would be happy with less. It's not the brutal poker that you might imagine. There's enough finesse in the tip to make catching small dace a decent experience.

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
I'll vouch for the Shimano aerocast rods. Have several of their spinning rods and a 14ft match for trotting. Not used it for trotting for barbel though but very light with the option of a softer action by playing the fish with the rod turned to the side. The oval cross section is no gimmick, it does what it says on the tin.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'll vouch for the Shimano aerocast rods. Have several of their spinning rods and a 14ft match for trotting. Not used it for trotting for barbel though but very light with the option of a softer action by playing the fish with the rod turned to the side. The oval cross section is no gimmick, it does what it says on the tin.

The fifteen footer is designated as the "Specimen Match" so it is beefier than the 13/14' variants. I've been so impressed with the Aerocasts that I've ended up with the full set of float and feeder rods. Why they aren't more popular, particularly at some of the discount prices available, is beyond me.

little oik

Reaction score
A friend of mine has a Preston 14ft I think it is an excell. He thinks its the Mutts nuts but one for problem .He wishes he bought either the 13 or the 15 so he could have justified buying the other length rod as well .He feels the 14 is not quite long enough with some of the swims he fishes and too long in others but cannot justify the cost changing it .The 13 has a retail of £199 and I think they go up about 20 quid for every extra foot .You can get them in 13, 14, 15 and 17ft long .Not sure about special offers and second hand though .

PitsfordPirate

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I would obviously recommend the rods I use because I love them all!

13ft TFG Classic Float
13ft Greys G-Tec
15ft Greys Prodigy VX
16ft Shakespeare Mach 3 XT

All of them are superb value for money.

The Pirate.

Reaction score
Corky,

The best float rod i've ever used/ owned is the Maver Reactorlite 1,

It's 13ft, perfect for 2-6lb and has a lovely through action that's easily landed 20lb carp.

A joy to use :)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A Normark Avenger will do the lot from shy biting roach and dace to confident barbel. I prefer the MK II (not the last one they did at 13 to 14ft but the one before it at 13ft). I know everyone raves about the 2000 range and they are fantastic rods but imo the MK II beats it. Another excellent rod is the drennan im8 specimine float but you'll have to look round to get one.

check the drennan rods out on ebay at the moment....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Drennan-S...ds_Fishing_FishingRods_EH&hash=item2566c93f85

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Drennan-I...ds_Fishing_FishingRods_EH&hash=item336b146e5e

Last edited:

watatoad

Reaction score
Just on the chance you are still looking give the J. W. Young range a look you can pick most of them up for around the £60 to £80 mark or Drennan rods Ebay would probably be the best. Or if you can find one ABU Transmitter match pro 13' happily cope with dace to 14lb Carp on floating Breadflake around the £40 mark.

I have and use all the above rods.