PLANNING AHEAD

• Thread starter BAZ (Angel of the North)
  • Start date
B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Winter is on the way, but I am trying to put a plan of action together for next seasons Bream fishing.
Is there any advice you can give in the way of plans and preparation?

Books to read, mapping waters out, making lists of balanced tackle/equipment, baits etc, in fact anything that might help to get me fully prepared for next season.

Any usefull items of equipment that we wouldn't normally use?

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Baz when i have mentioned bream to my mates I always get a funny look.But theres some cracking bream waters round here but no one sees to bother with them .And they are all cheap day tickets.

Tom (Bream Machine)

Reaction score
I like to fish for big Bream as my main summer campaign. I also plan! It may be that it's a big water.....150 plus acres, so i walk around taking depth readings with a marker float to find bars and holes. I always give a lot of consideration to my bait for the comimng season.....planning how it will be based, one year it was fishmeal , the next, it was vitalin. Personally, i think you get out of it what you put into it, do the research and it will pay dividends...especially where Bream are concerned. The place i fish is huge, there are a lot of bream, but location is vital to any success. Local or regualr anglers are always a good source of information, but if as you say the waters arnt fished then it's down to you!

Paul C

Reaction score
Have you ever considered one of those Smartcast gadgets?

Not so much for locating fish, but finding depths and features.

I quite fancied trying one, but I've not heard much feedback on how they perform. There also always seems like a chance that you could snag and lose the part you cast out, which might be a bit of a sickener.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Fish that deep water Baz, from June to September. Either fish the car park peg towards the tree in 8 foot of water, or the margins anywhere else.

Put plenty of bait in.

Make sure you're there between 11 p.m. and 3 a.m.

Average 8 pounds each. The only difficulty is avoiding them, if you don't want to catch them.

Easy mate!

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

The range isn't too far on the smartcast Paul, approx 30 yds I think. Unless you have them modified.
I have been thinking of a DEPTHOMETER from Reuben Heaton.
I think my first priority will be to get a good marker rod and start plotting a water over the winter.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Thanks Ric I know where you mean.

Agreed Tom. You only get out what you put in.
But now and again a first timer turns up completely blind and does the business.

I have a lot of work to do before the Spring.