roving - upstream or downstream?

J

Jim Crosskey 2

When roving on a river, are you best off by moving upstream (and therefore moving in to an area unaffected by any bait you may have introduced in the previous swim) or is it better to move downstream and therefore take advantage of the fact that some prebait from the previous swim may now be lower down?

Discuss please!

E

Evan

I generally follow dry fly practice and go upstream...

That way the buggers are hopefully looking upstream as you sneak up behind them, rather than watching you approach and scarpering long before you get a chance at 'em..... !

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Jim.
On the smaller rivers that I have fished for the chub where you can actually see them, I have allways roved upstream. As Evan says they face into the flow of the river, and you have less chance of being seen if they are in any way a bit cautious.

However, on the bigger deeper rivers I am not sure if it makes any difference. Then again it all depends if your access to the river is on an up or downstream entry. Your only option here is to make a wide detour or feed a few spots going downstream, and then start your way back fishing upstream.

As a rule I will allways rove upstream.

Ginger

Reaction score
Jim, i`ve been roving the Chelmer for over twenty years,i usually start fishing, working my way upstream for about a mile and a half then work my way back to my starting point.
I fish the river most weeks of the season,in all weathers and conditions and must say that in general i catch as many fish going upstream as i do coming down.( many times taking fish from the same swims on the way up and the way back ).
On small rivers stealth and presentation are probably the most important issues.

J

Jim Crosskey 2

cheers folks

I've just moved to walking distance from the thames - it struck me last weekend (as I sat in the same swim for three and a half hours) that a roving approach would probably be better.

I still need to discipline myself to taking less! Just a rod, net and bag or rucksack..... I'm so used to static river or lake tactics.

Bring on the weekend!