Mal Storey Feeder Rod

Scouser

Reaction score
I am getting this rod in a second hand set-up, it is the older version with full cork grip, sliding reel holds, and 2 interchangable tips, it is carbon blank and a very nice rod, any comments from people that know this rod appreciated.

Cheers
Scouse :)

E

EC

Never used it mate, but I think it was about in the mid-late 80's they were quite popular on the middle severn match scene!

Scouser

Reaction score
Oh ok, plus 2 normark titans match rods from about the same time :)

Paul C

Reaction score
I've got a Mal Storey Severn and Trent feeder rod, with two top sections. One has a quiver and the other is an avon top, if that's the same one that you mean?

I've had it years and it now needs a new set of guides, but it's been a good rod for lighter feeder fishing, particularly on the Severn. (Caster and hemp style as oppose to bigger leads and pellets/boilies)

It has a good through action which is perfectly adequate for barbel upto 6 or 7lb and chub from clear swims. One thing about it, I can't remember ever having a hook pull using it, yet when I bought a stiffer twin top rod, I noticed I was experiencing pull outs.

It wouldn't suit barbel fishing on a harsh river like the ribble but is fine for chubbing on there.

If you fish lots of different styles and methods, you'll find a use for it and it's a nice rod even though it's quite old these days.

I must get mine sorted out, as I used it last winter bread fishing for chub.

Scouser

Reaction score
Cheers Paul....it is a few years old, but hey, there were some great made rods and reels that are still around today :)

L

Laurie Harper

I've got the earlier (heavier) one and it's served me well. It's built on a Tri-Cast blank, with Seymo rings, so is of good quality. Very versatile - I've used it for feeder, lead and heavy float fishing.

P

paul williams 2

Scouser......i think you have 3 very fine rods there!

Scouser

Reaction score
Yeah, thanks lads :)

Like they say, things get better with age ;-)