best knot

cormorant

Reaction score
hi whats the best knot for use with high tech lines im using garbo line at the moment on the pole and the blood knot, and im getting snapped off at the hook after a few fish

NIGE K

Reaction score
try a grinner also known as the uni knot or try a palomar knot.

little oik

Reaction score
try a grinner also known as the uni knot or try a palomar knot.
Totally agree with the above .I tend to use them all lines now whatever it is.Also use the knotless knot where applicable.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I would go with palomar knot , however for pole fishing I would feel a lot more confident with a spade end hook.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
It's also known as a rapala knot I think. There will be a youtube vid of it I'm sure. I'll have a look

---------- Post added at 23:17 ---------- Previous post was at 23:14 ----------

Yep. here:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bxvasCf8ak]Rapala Knot | How to Tie a Rapala Knot - YouTube[/ame]

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
And just when I thought I new the name of all knots someone comes up with a 'new' one...well, new to me anyway!

Actually thats a bit of a fib because on reading John Wilsons latest book 'My Way' I came across two other knots:

The Albright Knot: " for joining low daimeter braid to a thick mono rubbing leader "....Can anyone tell me why this could not be reversed to have mono reel line tied direct to a braid bottom without the use of a swivel?? (or am I being stupid........mmmmm) Looks a pig to tie though!

The Rapala Loop Knot: " Pike fly loop allows fly to hinge and move" I threw this in for interest as I don't pike fish but maybe for someone who does?

The books a good read as well....

richiekelly

Reaction score
Don't use a grinner with Flurocarbon or it will let you down. Use a mirrorlure knot or a bloodknot.

i have started to use flurocarbon hooklengths for my barbel fishing this season and having read that the grinner is a bad knot to use i tried tying a palomar but because my right hand shakes so much i could not tie one so at home i tied some fluro hooklengths up using a grinner and tested them by putting the hook in a vice and pulling the swivel holding it with a pair of pliers, i did about 10 tests and each time the fluro broke it wasnt at the knot, i am still using the grinner and it hasnt let me down despite fishing some hook and hold snaggy swims, i am not saying it is the best knot for fluro just what i have found myself during this season.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Still using variations on blood knots after all these years. Practice has made almost perfect over time and I struggle to remember how to tie unfamiliar alternatives. Occasionally I'll add a tuck or even a second pass through an eye but it's still a blood knot and they rarely let me down.

cormorant

Reaction score
Still using variations on blood knots after all these years. Practice has made almost perfect over time and I struggle to remember how to tie unfamiliar alternatives. Occasionally I'll add a tuck or even a second pass through an eye but it's still a blood knot and they rarely let me down.

same as me, ive used the blood knot for years never had trouble with it using nylon, but am noticing even with the no knot im getting broken at the hook, maybe i should try a different hook im using pr 36 and guru mwg.

sam vimes

Reaction score
same as me, ive used the blood knot for years never had trouble with it using nylon, but am noticing even with the no knot im getting broken at the hook, maybe i should try a different hook im using pr 36 and guru mwg.

I'm not familiar with those hooks or that line. As you've stated that it's occurring after catching a few, it may simply be a case of line damage causing the problems. Plenty of high tech fine diameter lines and flurocarbon, even in heavy breaking strains, suffer with this. The only answer I can give is to religiously check your hooklinks for signs of abrasion or crinkling after each fish caught and replace as necessary. If there's any doubt, get it changed. Better that than losing fish. Altenatively, stop using high-tech/fluro. It isn't the be all and end all.

If it's always bang on the hook eye that it's breaking, and there's little sign of line damage, then I'd be looking at the eye itself and the point where the eye closes. You do find some hooks don't have the cleanest of finishes which can cause unseen nicks in the line during the fight. Always start your knot turns on the opposite side to the point of eye closure too.

Frank Elson

Reaction score
Same Vines wrote:
If it's always bang on the hook eye that it's breaking, and there's little sign of line damage, then I'd be looking at the eye itself and the point where the eye closes. You do find some hooks don't have the cleanest of finishes which can cause unseen nicks in the line during the fight. Always start your knot turns on the opposite side to the point of eye closure too. <<<<

I'd agree. The tucked half blood knot may not be the most popular (trendy) knot these days but some of us have used it for fifty years... the evidence, therefore points to something other than the knot.

dannytaylor

Reaction score
another fan of the blood knot. Has to be tied carefully and tightened gently with lots of spitum when using FC, as ive found this material can weaken with this knot? Sometimes with FC i will use a knotless knot and just trim back the tag end this gives a very strong knot especially with FC

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Most of the knots we use can slip. The construction of a bloodknot means the knot can slip off the tag-end, though this is far less likely with a tucked knot. With a grinner, the way the knot is formed means it can only slip up the mainline. That's one reason why it's a better knot for most mono and braid applications. When using Flurocarbon, a grinner weakens the line at the knot so it becomes brittle. This don't happen with a tucked bloodknot.

So. I'll stick with grinner for braid and mono and use tucked bloodknot for flurocarbon.

Philip

Reaction score
I dont like bloodknots, its a constriction knot and I think its risky advice to say “use them with fluro”. Even if some mega expert has done all the trials to “prove” they work ok with his specific fluro the fact is not all Fluros are the same and a beginner blindly following advice could use it on a fluro its not suited to.

In my opinion if the hooks got an eye use a Palomar regardless of the material your using and remove any doubt whatsoever.