Where do minnows go........

averageangler

Reaction score
.........in winter?

I have delayed reaquainting myself with my local river as the minnows have still been visible/active in the low clear water.

This has got me wodering where they go in winter? Do they die off in the first really cold weather? Get washed away in floods? Are their numbers gradually reduced by predation? Do they stop feeding and hibernate in any way?

Can anyone help?

Scouser

Reaction score
I would say preadation gets most of em mate, thats the main reason minnows stay minnows, and if the big perch dont get em I would guess that they die at a certian size, but I am only having a guess mate, hopefully someone might know the facts :)

Good-luck!

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Minnows rarely grow bigger than 2- 3 inches. Predation and floods take their toll. Their life span is about 5 years.

keora

Reaction score
They still thrive in winter. In the last few years there conditions have been good for minnow survival. On one river I fish, this winter I've been getting plenty of minnows on maggot while float fishing for grayling.

henryk

Reaction score
i could have tonnes of them yesterday wen fishing yesterday
changed bait because it was a minnow a cast

averageangler

Reaction score
Sounds like you are all suffering what I am avoiding by abstinence!

So if they are still about (as always or more so now due to a run of mild winters) perhaps I need to stop avoiding them and try embracing them?

Has anyone used them as trotted deadbaits for Perch and/or Chub in the winter? If so have you been succesful?

I would guess that if I were Chub or a Perch I would rather spend winter near some fat minnow shoals than hanging around aimlessly waiting for a lobworm to be washed to me!

What do you all reckon?

john charlton 2

Reaction score
i fish the irwell,in the summer its full of minnow and small chub.but the same stretch in winter produces chub only between 2 and 4.8lb.im not complaining as summer can be annoying with no decent fish showing,due to the small stuff.i have wondered where they go myself.i think they must shoal up somewhere?