stick/avon Floats

Reaction score
I'm new to this type of fishing but having looked at a few magazine articles & having watched on the TV I'm going to have a go for myself . I've purchased a suitable rod , centrepin reel line etc but I'm confused with the floats weights , I want to fish hard on the bottom using a Olivette to set the float but I'm confused 3AAA , 4AAA , 5AAA ,6AAA & 7AAA ???? What ounce olivette would be used for each size
I'd welcome any advice from you clever people
Harry

sam vimes

Reaction score
The choice will depend on the flow of the river concerned, the depths encountered and the size of the hookbait used. Generally speaking, the bigger the hookbait, the bigger the float. The deeper the swim, the bigger the float. As for the olivette size, I'd use one about a gram lighter than the float rating to allow me to use a small drop shot and at least one shot at the float as a depth marker.

It's worth knowing that SSG=1.6g, AAA=.08g, BB=0.4g, No1=0.3g, No4=0.2g and No6=0.1g. That would mean that a 5AAA float would be roughly 4g. I'd use a 3g olivette and make up the rest with shot.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm new to this type of fishing but having looked at a few magazine articles & having watched on the TV I'm going to have a go for myself . I've purchased a suitable rod , centrepin reel line etc but I'm confused with the floats weights , I want to fish hard on the bottom using a Olivette to set the float but I'm confused 3AAA , 4AAA , 5AAA ,6AAA & 7AAA ???? What ounce olivette would be used for each size
I'd welcome any advice from you clever people
Harry

I don't know what river your fishing or what fish your targetting but I find a avon bolo float of about 4gr weight covers most situations. I don't use olivettes prefferring shot which I can slide up and down the line as I choose. Don't get hung up on exact weights, just stick enough shot on to get your float to cock how you want it.