Maggot vs Caster

Beecy

Reaction score
Talking to Graham, John & Ed on the Idle the other day, the general view was that the maggot will catch you more fish but that the caster will pick out the better stamp.

But no-one could give a firm reason why, Grahams sudgestion was that maybe a caster is left alone longer enough for the better ones to stand a chance of getting to it, not sure that I go along with this though

any thoughts ?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Only a roach can give you the definitive answer but what Graham, John and Ed told you is perfectly true, its been tried and tested for donkey's years.

That is not to say Maggots won't give you big roach as well but casters will be be more consistent especially if fished with hemp.

For some reason perch never seem to touch caster and once again only a perch can tell you why. Chub and barbel absolutely love casters as well of course.

captain carrott

Reaction score
"For some reason perch never seem to touch caster and once again only a perch can tell you why"

not entirely true but i did have some perch from the same water on corn.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

And why did I get a 2 1/2lb perch on caster recently in the fens?

Seriously, the problem with maggots is that it attracts all the little fish in your swim.

However if you only have BIG roach in front of you, maggots is one of the best baits of all.

But never forget bread. This is one of the most selective baits for big roach that I know of.

captain carrott

Reaction score
"a perch will eat owt"

not when you're trying to bluddi catch em they wont.

John Ledger (ACA)

Reaction score
If i had to use one to save my life it would be maggots Dave.
Obviously casters dont move like maggots on the bottom but i think fish pick up on maggots especially if its slightly coloured water although for some reason caster sorts out the bigger fish

John Ledger (ACA)

Reaction score
Ron
You are right about bread and had all my big roach on the Upper Witham on bread.
I think if it was used on the Idle it would produce bigger fish especially if you have the river to yourself.
I did a fish in with Alain Uritty for the paper and won easily using maggot. Alain started on bread punch but there was no way he could keep up with someone feeding maggots,nothing to do with my angling it was just not a fair contest.
He ended up on maggots

Paul T

Reaction score
The problem I have with bread is getting it to sink without putting big shot near the hook. Is it possible to do this?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

It depends if you are using bread crust or bread flake.

Bread flake is taken from a brand new loaf and pinched on the hook in such a way that it will sink slowly.

Bread crust is best taken from a farmhouse loaf where it will float unless you put a shot about an inch from the bait.

But I often prefer to use the balanced approach and put some cheese paste on the crust so that it sinks slowly.

Chub love it.

Paul T

Reaction score
Even bread flake on a 10 hook floats I have to wet it then squeeze it slightly to get the air out, before it sinks. If I use crust I have to put two swan shot very close to the hook or it will never sink, it looks odd shot so close to the hook. Am I doing it wrong?

Paul T

Reaction score
Sorry Beecy for going off on a tangent, as regards the maggot and caster debate, I have found maggots bring me the biggest roach and the most fish. Never had much luck with caster but it has caught me some good tench as a cocktail!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

If you are fishing for chub, use a 6 hook at least. I most cases I use a 4 or a 2 hook.

If you are fishing a river, try a 1 oz Arlesey bomb stopped about 1 inch from the hook with a big shot.

Without going into too many details, get a copy of Tony Miles "Search for Big Chub".

It's all in there.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA)

For really big Roach I'd rate maggot above caster.

L

Laurie Harper

Perch won't touch casters? That's certainly not my experience. They love 'em, as does just about every fish that swims. I certainly wouldn't leave home without them. My two biggest roach (2.1 and 2.3) were both caught on single caster.

John Ledger (ACA)

Reaction score
Beecy
All my big bags of chub on the stick from the Swale have come on maggots sometimes using nearly a gallon to get em going.
As my mate Mike Townsend used to say it winds the buggers up plus the chub dont shell em

Paul T

Reaction score
Ron many thanks for that info I will try what you say, with an arlesey bomb one inch from the hook. I looked into buying my way with chub by Tony miles, but could not believe the price of it. So I will look for the other book you mentioned.

Steve Handley

Reaction score
I've often wondered why, espeically when fishing for roach, a change from maggot to caster can bring a better stamp of fish. It's the same when changing from maggot to hemp. Maybe the smaller fish being quicker in the water are more attracted to the movement and softness of the maggot.

Paul T
If your still after those chub in the River Hull. Try and get a copy of 'Red Letter Days' It was a tribute to Bernard Venables. Theres an article in there by Kevin Clifford on this river. Mentions Hempholme Weir and a number of 6lb Chub caught!

Paul T

Reaction score
Steve I am still after those elusive river hull chub, its difficult with high winds and swollen rivers. No water clarity at all and lots of debris washing down.
Thanks for the info above I will try and get a copy of red letter days.

Chas Kellett

Reaction score
in 35 years of match fishing at a fairly high level,division 1/2 plus an individual national qualifyer,l would most definately say that caster will catch a better stamp of roach.l have personaly had three fish over 2lb all on caster,2 from the river Suck,Co mayo,1 from the severn at Bridgenorh.