Maximum casting weight

chris wallace

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've just got my first ledger rod.

What confuses me is what is the maximum recomended weight the rod can cast with it's test curve.

I have 1 butt section, and 3 different top sections. 1 x 1.5lb TC, 1 x 2lb TC and 1 2lb TC quiver tip with 3 inserts, 2,3&4oz.

What should be the maximum size of lead I can safely use on each top section?

Chris

pcpaulh

Reaction score
For the 1.5lbs the highest I would go (depending on the action) would probably be about 3oz, I haven't cast a 2lb TC rod but I bet you could cast 5ozs.
The weights for quivers I'm not to sure but you notice immetiatly if it feels uncomfortable casting it.

S

Sean Meeghan

Hi Chris

For a full blooded cast about 2 oz is about right, but you'll probably get away with 3 oz with care. The 1.5lb tip and the quivers will just make the rod feel a bit softer and you'll probably be best sticking to 2oz with these.

Its very difficult to make generalisations with carbon rods and multi tip rods just make it more complicated as every manufacturer approaches the design a bit differently. The best approach is to err on the side of caution to start with and work up the weight range. Be careful with method feeder, some of the bigger ones weigh over 4oz when loaded.

Trisantona

Reaction score
The generally accepted formula for a full blooded cast is 1 ounce (lead )per 1 pound test curve..but ,and it's a big but , as Sean says if your'e using feeders they can weigh very heavy,you can get away with a gentle lob for shortish distances ,best to gradually build up weight and you will know when rod no longer has the power to cast properly...yours sounds like a pretty powerfull rod and will probably take all but the very biggest feeders when using the quiver top..the 1 1/2 test curve straight top would be ideal for big chubber floats with big baits .

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
With my greys rods i have cast 3oz and a PVA bag 30 yards on the river no problems with a 1.5Ib top with the 2Ib i have cast 6oz and a bag 30 yards.

With heavier weights the way to do it is build the speed of the cast up slowly. If you require further distances drop the weight down.

What rod is it you have got as the rods action will have a lot to do with it. Some rods are better at casting distance than others.

Gope this helps.

chris wallace

Reaction score
Bryan,

I have the Greys X-Flite Barbel.

Sounds like we may have very similar rods. ;-)

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Chris

The x-flies are alot better for casting than my prodigies. But i did not like them a much a fihing rod. You will have no problem with them.

Which river is your local

chris wallace

Reaction score
The Mole @ Leatherhead.

I was thinking of starting out for a few Barbel or Chub.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
No worries you will be able to handle any weight on a river of that size. When the river is in flood keep to the inside margins as the push on the line will be your biggest problem.

When you hook into that first barbel you will be hooked as i was.

Good luck and if you need any advice just ask. Were all helpful on here.

T

trev matthews

What you might need to be aware of is crack offs. If you go too heavy on the lead and give it a full bodied cast you will end up with a bullet shaped lead weight flying towards the far bank, dangerous if youre fishing opposite someone, but funny if your mates with you and he sees you doing it.

pcpaulh

Reaction score
I did this with my 1.5lb tc rod. I tried to cast a 3oz weight and pva bag across the Thames, the sound is unmistakable!

chris wallace

Reaction score
Christian,

Was that a snapping sound? I managed to do that as a child when attempting to do a full blown cast on a float rod with a plumb weight attached. ;-)

I definately don't want to be hearing that sound with my new rod. ;-)

Chris

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Christian what cracked the line or the rod. If done right a 1.5Ib rod should easily cast 3oz plus a bag a good 30-40 yeards.

pcpaulh

Reaction score
The line, the pva bag was a large one not the little golfball size ones.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Just put a shock leader on. Around 40Ib you need enough for at least 5 turns on the spool when ready to cast.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA)

Ignore the test curve of the rod as it gives you no idea of the casting power.

The best way to find out is trial and error. Take the rod out and try casting increasing weights so that you can work out what is the optimum and what is the maximum for each setup.

For example my 12' 1 3/4 Harrison Interceptors cast furthest with 2 1/4 ounces and will shift a lot more over short distances.

D

david bruce 1

Be particularly careful with the quiver tips. My eyes aren't what they were and on occasions, particularly on windy days, I haven't notice the line was wrapped around the end of the tip. Now with light weights a quick dropping of the rod to put the weight in the water can save the day but with heavier weights nochance and a snapped tip.
I have given in to the ageing process and bought bifocals now! I just await the time when I loose them in the water, several near misses already, even though I have them on a cord!

sweetcorn kid

Reaction score
Chris mate the general rule is to every pound of test curve is 11/4 oz of lead but you have to remember not to over load your rod this will impede the playing action of your rod

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
That means then i can only use 2.2oz of lead on my 1.75Ib rod.

I am sorry but would have to disagree with that. Use 3oz and a pva bag with no problems at all.