Lower Itchen - Grayling Fishing

barbelboi

Reaction score
It won’t be long before they’ll be opening the lower Itchen to coarse anglers. How many ‘Gentlemen from the South’ (or from further afield that don't mind the distance) enjoy a spot of grayling trotting and are there enough to warrant someone (familiar with this sort of thing) arranging and booking a day for an FM fish in.
Jerry

chav professor

Reaction score
I am definately up for the 400mile round trip again this year - especially if I can get a second day too! - the Stour or Avon are practically on the doorstep....... Make it a thur - sunday and count me in!!!
Chris

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
There have been a few fish-ins and meets on this superb venue. It's one of my favourites and has developed (if that's the right word for such a traditional Salmon/Trout fishery) into a top class mixed coarse fishery. Some of the inhabitants have not arrived naturally but they are there!

The chances of a really big grayling (3lb+) are now a little less likely and the overall size is definitely down from a few years ago. But there is a huge head of grayling from ounces to nudging 2lbs. 1lb to 1.5lb fish are quite common.

If a decent group can be got together then the upper fishery will also be open to coarse fishing, it's quite delightful up there. But it's a popular venue for such group trips and available weekends get booked up pretty quickly. Individual day tickets are available at £21/£22 for the day - midweek is my choice of time.

The stretch immediately below the LIF is free fishing!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Windy

Reaction score
If my work commitments allow then I'm in. But they may not :eek:mg:

---------- Post added at 12:59 ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 ----------

Below Gator's Mill the fishing is free.

For how far ? Alternatively what is the next sign / marker / landmark for it no longer being free.... as I might pop down on Monday or Tuesday for a look see and a wee recce, but I very much don't need a barrel of buckshot up my fundament as a way of finding out !

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not totally sure but I thihk it is from below Gator's Mill to about upstream of Cobden Bridge.

You could stop in at the Swan to make enquiries though . . . . .