are there any decent chub in the chesterfield canal around chesterfield

Mark Brailsford

Reaction score
just wanting to know if there are any decent fish......chub, perch, pike, tench.....in the chesterfield canal near the town center.
i have seen fish at the tapton lock lenth but the area near bluebell bank looks quite fishy.
any sugestions please.

John Ledger (ACA)

Reaction score
Matt
You will always get some idiot who will place barbel in stillwaters,no doubt the same idiots would make a case for Polar Bears in the Sahara Desert

D

DAN.

lots of fish in both the canal and rother behind morrisons!
theres even tench above a weir on the river
both waters offer great days fishing but be prepared for a walk on the canal and find swims that have far bank features past the boat turning area and you will have good sport from bream tench and even carp.
on the river fish with the idea of roving as most of the swims can get spooked but if you are prepared to put some effort into your attack above the wier you can have a good mixed bag of fish well worth the early season attack.chub bream big perch trout and the chance of good roach.

D

DAN.

if you fish the canal behind arnold lavers there are chub here and carp!

Mark Brailsford

Reaction score
i dan,
thats the river behind lavers is it not, the canal starts behind tescos.
i know there are trout, roach and chub in the river, they come out of the river hipper at horns bridge.

Richard Wilson 3

Reaction score
Spot on Dan.Nothing would surprise me what came out of the Rother or the canal in that area.Yes Matt barbel in the canal! Ive heard there is some big carp in the stretch behind Tesco's.

Mark Brailsford

Reaction score
thought i would let you all know that all the canal except the club waters are free fishing, and dont let county council rengers tell you any different. the so called rangers think they run the bloody countryside.....it was them that had the fishing stopped at linacre res.......i know how these chaps work....i was a volunteer once....they are just academic ipocrites, and have caused so much damage to the countryside around N.E. derbyshire!!

Richard Wilson 3

Reaction score
Its the same with the pond at Carr Vale Mark, there has been Terrapins and all sorts come out of there what people have put in.The Doe lea river has trout in around that area. So within a few miles radious there is quite a few options.

Mark Brailsford

Reaction score
hi richard.
i dont know about big carp in the tesco area.
the lenth of canal from the bridge to the lock is only about 18inch deep there, it only gets deep at the lock.....plenty of chub, and roach though.

D

DAN.

mark ,
theres carp there trust me, and of a good size at that!
my brother fishes the canal and river alot and has had some woppers from both venues!

D

DAN.

yes mate the river is behind lavers but walk down and its the canal. carp and chub !

Mark Brailsford

Reaction score
hi again richard, dan and co,
just thought i would let you know, i am of on the canal sunday. going to give it and the river a good rove.....yes i am a rover, gave all that seatbox and poll stuff up a while ago got sick of humping the stuff in and out of the hatch back, i just love going light with my fly, lure and trotting gear.
i have known for years that there are fish in the canal and rother but allways passed it by.
guess i should give it ago, as it is local!!
by the way is it worth lure fishing for the chub and perch, as i would love to try some of the river and canal with that aproach.

Mark Brailsford

Reaction score
guys,
do any of you know if there have been any pike caught in the canal?
i was told that there might be a few in the water towards stavley.they have also said that there are pike in the rother at killamarsh!!
by the way guys, here is a bit of trivia for you......the rother starts at the bottom of my street.......rother street pilsley!!
it starts in a spring at the bottom of the reck, but the river only gets going when it reaches a swamp near the railway.
there, you learn something every day...

Richard Wilson 3

Reaction score
I dont no about pike Mark,i could ask for you though.Let me no how you get on on sunday.There is some big pike at Poolsbrook what you can fish for on a day ticket, but you can only spin for them though.

Mark Brailsford

Reaction score
thanks richard,
might try the pike at poolsbrook, done a bit of course fishing there.
i only lure fish for pike anyway rich, i can't do with all that mucking about with bait and the tackle that goes with it.
i have been into lure fishing for years and had good sport from it........i was catching predators on spinning tackle before anyone in this country new that it worked!!!

D

DAN.

let us all know how you get on richard,
try bread crust on the river!

Craig Mason 2

Reaction score
Iam planning to fish the rother canal next week between lavers and tapton lock so any advice on good swims good bait's to try would be very welcome