Good news for the River Arrow

hooktie(Iain)

Reaction score
On and off for the last three to four months now i,ve been fishing various differant stretches of the river Arrow mostly in Redditch,From the stretch up by the five tunnels by Abbey park golf course to Studley cricket clubroad bridge to the foot bridge all of whitch is free water and i am proud to say what a fine peace of water it has become you can catch anything from gudgeon to brown trout,daddy ruff and even though i should keep it quite barble have started to find there way back in .From a river that was totaly dead 4or 5 years ago because of polution and verious toxic spills today it is vergoning onto a great little fishing spot i can't speak for ferther up the flow but chub to 6lb perch to 4lb 9oz,2lb brown trout and the odd barble make it a realy good day out .Mainly im a carp fisherman but lack of funds have ment i,ve been able to spend some time on the river and as far as winter fishing is conserned im a convert .I hope every body else has as much fun and tight lines.hooktie

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
The Arrow around Alcester is a lovely little river and very capable of throwing up a surprise or two. There have been barbel in there for years now gaining access via the Avon which it runs into below Marcliffe.

There are quality chub, roach and bream as well but they have rarely moved down to the stretch you are referring to from Studley Mill to Arrow Valley lake, Spernal Ash being about the lowest area that they frequented. The only exception being when continuous high water conditions prevail, then you might get a few down there but they soon move back up to the Alcester area when things subside.

I used to live in Matchborough in the 70's so I know the area very well.

hooktie(Iain)

Reaction score
nice one Graham still it,s nice to see the river is getting a lot cleaner higher up .i know what you mean about a few suprises i,ve got a friend who,s garden backs on to the Arrow by the Fish at Wixford but you dont expect it in a stretch like the one that runs through the factorysso hears to happy fish.tight lines Iain

newbieneil

Reaction score
hi iain ,i know this is an old post but im wondering what stetches are free to fish and/or day ticket waters around the bottom of studley towards evesham...im particularly interested in the stretch that passes close to the road on the bend past studley on the road towards evesham if you know anything ,cheers-Neil

arrow rider

Reaction score
hi mate, which bit exactly do you mean, the bit by the little chef? i know the whole river and live in studley so will be able to help you.

dont believe everything you read(see above)

newbieneil

Reaction score
cheers arrow rider!....im just looking for some good chubby looking rivers that are a bit closer than the avon/severnas my local river-the blythe at coleshillhasnt produced anythink for meapart from crayfish in about 4 visits! anyway....i think its before you get to studley,if youve come from the m42 its on your right just past the harvester pub im sure?,the roadstarts to goa bit windy and on one of the bends you can see the river clearly (although it looks like snag city with all the trees and overgrown bushes etc!),theres another point im interested in which i think passes by/through a bit of a park and some football and rugby pitches just down the road ,if you turn right as if you going towards redditch the road passes over it.....ring any bells?lol

arrow rider

Reaction score
hi mate the first stretch you mentioned is studley cricket club. i think there is a fishing club that own this small stretch behind the cricket club, theother side of the road is a farmers land, although he does let you fish.downstream of the cricket club is free fishing as far as you can walk.

the other stretch you mention is i think washford and is free fishing from there all the way up stream, the river all around these two areas offer very good chub fishing with the odd roach and perch, nothing very big but plenty to be caught.

any more info needed just let me know

newbieneil

Reaction score
cheers mate-that info is much appreciated-im gonna have a look on google maps just to get an overview of exactly where i can fish on the map,hopefully i`ll be able to get down there within the next week or two -weather permitting! ...thanks again/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

profix5

Reaction score
Hi fella's

Just returning to fishing after about 20 years with my 9 year old son......saw a stretch of the arrow as you come out out of Park Farm ind area towards the Washford Mill that looked ok - was driving at the time! - any thoughts on that strech or advice on good (free) spots to fish in that area, only coming across from Bromsgrove so not far away.

cheersSteve

arrow rider

Reaction score
hi mate, i was out on a nearby stretch yesterday and managed a few chub and roach on trotted flake, there are plenty of fish all along the part of the river you have seen and it is all free. let me know if you want any more info

ryan

profix5

Reaction score
thanks for that.

Any favourite spots in the area?

Probably have a go on Saturday afternoon.

Steve

preston96

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>arrow rider wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

hi mate, which bit exactly do you mean, the bit by the little chef? i know the whole river and live in studley so will be able to help you.

dont believe everything you read(see above)</blockquote>
I thought that at the time mate/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

arrow rider

Reaction score
steve- if its your first time on the river, i would suggest a roving approach either trotting or use a small blockend feeder with maggots, (there is a local tackle shop). look for any deeper looking spots and then give them say half hour in each spot then move on.

the river is not heavily fished but you should be able to see the better pegs by the worn banks and gaps in the undergrowth. catch one or two fish from each swim and then move on this stops spooking the fish and should keep you catching steadily. you can always return to good swims later on.

its a great little river to teach your lad to fish on, i learnt there myself and will also teach my kids there. let me know how you get on, if you struggle i may be able to offer more precise info

good luck

ryan

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I agree with the above but don't restrict yourself to the Redditch/Studley section, the further you go towards the confluence with the Avon the better the river gets and the more fish there are.

The river from Alcester to Wixford is a cracking stretch and throws up some good barbel to 8 or 9lb every now and again but the river has a decent head of roach, some bream and chub as well although the chub population has diminished considerably to what it used to hold years ago. The Mill Hotel water is day ticket, the entrance is almost opposite Ragley Hall entrance, is a good water when the river is up and coloured and the water around the bridge at Wixford is day ticket too and well worth any anglers time. The first peg below the bridge was a sure fire certainty for a good days fishing and I won two matches off that peg in the early 90's with bags of roach and chub well into double figures and even better catches when pleasure fishing.

Incidentally the Alne which runs into the Arrow at Alcester is also a cracking little river and I know for a fact the river holds roach over 2lbs because I have actually seen two caught fishing bread flake, little beauties they are. There is a day ticket stretch near to Wotton Hall at Wotton Wawen and that holds some surprising fish including big roach, bream and even carp (escapees from the syndicate carp lake behind the hall), this in a tiny river that you can almost jump across in places.

profix5

Reaction score
thanks all for that....funny you mentioned Wooton Hall - my nan used to live on the residential site there, on the bank! and as kids we spent every weekend and most of the summer holidays, on the stetch just above the wier we used to have everything out of there, big pike and my brother had a carp of 18lb.

Actually emailed the Wotton Hall site to explain all the above and to ask if I could take my son fishing where I used to go, got a lovely emailback but the answer was no and strictly residents only.

Where is the dayticket sectionby Wotton?

Cheer all again

Steve

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
The other side of the A34 road past Wotton Hall, rarely bailiffed but only £2 anyway, there is a notice as you go into the field. Try giving Wotton Hall a ring and quoting my name, the manager is Eddie Simmons an old darting mate of mine and see if he can give you permission but I have a feeling that bit of water inside the grounds is controlled by the carp syndicate. I fished it very often but I used to play darts for Wotton Hall in the Henley league and knew the syndicate organiser.

There are stretches in between Wotton Wawen amd Great Alne, I think it was Aston Cantlow where I witnessed the 2 pounders coming out, just below the bridge but my memory isn't as good as it was though I could take you straight to it.

profix5

Reaction score
chub.jpg

trout.jpg

Hi all.

Thanks for all the info.

Has a quick hour or so on the stretch opposite the Park Farm ind area (opposite Screwfix etc) and had a couple of small chub....was all a bit rushed so will have another go when have a little more time.

Ended up taking my lad to the Salwarpe at Droitwichon the advice of a friend, looked a bit iffy when we got there, on the edge of some football pitches but over a couple of hours fishing luncheon meat we had 5 good Chub and then as we had the last cast -taking us by complete surprise - especially when it leaped a couple of feet out the water a nice brown trout - couple of pics of the proud new angler attached - pic of the trout a bit blurred i am afraid and in true fisherman style it was much bigger than it looks! - was by far the biggest fish of the day.

Graham, just going back to that stretch of the Alne at Wooton - if I get correctly what your saying its the stretch straight over the road from the weir at Wootton Hall?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Yes, thats correct. Approaching the river from Henley go over the river and the entrance is the first one on the right, it looks like a private drive, go in there over the cattle grid and follow the track down to the river. A lady in a landrover may, or may not, come and sell you a day ticket at £3 but more often than not it is free.

ben cook

Reaction score
I fished the Arrow over fifteen years ago when I visited my Grandparents who still live in Toms Town Studley. I only fished to the footbridge near the Church at the bottom of the cow field. Caught lovely Perch on that bend! I'll be visiting there soon and would love to have a roving session. A question for the locals, is there still a syndicate past the footbridge I vaguely remember being told to go into The Needlemakers Arms to ask about a ticket but I was a little younger then.

Any help appreciated

Ben

voodooman

Reaction score
Hi there
Can anyone tell me if theres any day ticket waters on the arrow.
I fish the Avon a lot and pass over the river quite a bit and keep saying i'll have to fish it one day.
Have heard theres a day ticket stretch by Ragley Hall.....
cheers mark