new chub reel

bazmati

Reaction score
Its that time of year again,so I am in the market for a new reel for chubbing, any recomendations for around 50 quid or less.
Cheers

bazmati

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply,fixed spool for use on small rivers with an avon type rod.

dezza

Reaction score
Daiwa TDX 3012, the best reel of it's kind on the market.

It can also be used to catch roach, perch, bream, tench, carp, dace and even eels. I had a 2 1/2 pound eel on mine recently.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Take a look at the Exage 2500 or the 4000 which are just a little bit outside your price range at around £54 to £59 depending on where you get it from.

The Exage is just a cheaper version of the Stradic range and the spools fit both reels so if you step-up at some stage then the Exage cost was not totally lost.

While the Daiwa tdx 3012 is a good reel it is also a lot more expensive than your £50 limit, the cheapest I found was £174 . . . . . . . . . on fleaBay.

Last edited:

watatoad

Reaction score
I will add in my order of preference:

Mitchell 310Xge

Mitchell 308Xge

Shakespeare Mach 3

Shakespeare Mach 3 xt

So that will now give you a few to look at and see what you like or fancy and what balances well with your rod.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I would like to recommend the shimano XT2500 mini baitrunner but its a little out of your budget at around £90, but guess what, they do a ST FA version at around £50 and its not a bad little reel for the money, in fact its a cracker!!

mark

PS: Take a look on the harris sportsmail web site, they do free postage and the service is superb!!!
forgot to say, keep away from shaky and michell reels they are not very well made and you will be lucky if you get a season from them!
don't be fooled into thinking michell reels are the same as those from years ago, they are not in the same league!!

Last edited:

Tim Ridge

Reaction score
My choice in that particular price bracket (at this time) for what you want would be the okuma octana fd 3000.
This has a slimline body, perfect clutch, nice smooth retrieval and a propper line clip and I believe it comes with a 5 year warranty. This should balance most light avon/quivertip type rods very nicely.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Front drag : Daiwa Whisker or Exceler...I've had both,I prefer the Exceler.
Rear drag : Shimano Exage or Okuma Alumina [incredibly smooth reel & clutch and still a few about if you look.]...or the Okuma Epix or Epix Pro.

If you want a baitrunner then the Shimano "babies" are very nice.

flightliner

Reaction score
Have a look on e-bay and buy a mitchell 300/301/ or a "match" for a maximum of around £30. It will give you years of service, they are almost bombproof and any other proof you care to name with the exception of foolproof. They are just the ticket for your requirements.
I was in a friends house the other week (an ex tackle dealer) and he was showing me his collection of "mint" 300s and "match" reels, I was drooling over them but sadly they were the wrong hand for me otherwise I would have made him a very generous offer.

terry m

Reaction score
I have a couple of Shimano Saharas for this type of work. They are very good and extremely smooth.

Can't remember what I paid for them or even if they are still made, but guess they would be available on e-bay. They have a fighting drag which I think is great especially on rivers.

Good luck in your search, let us know what you decide on.

chav professor

Reaction score
Chub seem to love this old reel....lol

4poundnineouncechub004.jpg

But I too love my now quite old shimano reel with the fighting drag - it does come in handy.

kidfisher

Reaction score
shimano 2500 catana £35 from a tackle shop or £25 off eBay your choice but a tackle shop will give you a 2 year garantee then get yourself some new floats or something with whats left :) :)