Tench fishing

Andrew Turton

Reaction score
Hi Chaps, I am going to concentrate on fishing a local gravel pit that holds a good head of quality Tench. It also holds some very big carp and is fished hard for these fish. After talking to some of the regulers at the lake they have all told me how they have caught very big Tench on carp tacticts. My Question is this, I want to fish in the traditional way for the Tench, i.e. float and line and I am quite confident in my skills with this but i wanted to also put a sleeper rod out with scaled down carp baits, but I don't have any real Knowledge of this approach and the carp boys on the lake are very coy about talking. Can anyone give me some pointers on rigs and baits. Thanks for any help.
Andy.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

It also depends on if it is a snaggy area that you are going to fish Andy.
I was given the advice last year that if I am in a relatively snag free area then 8lb line should see me okay for the Tench. And it did, as I also landed Carp up to 20lb.

Try spicy shrimp and prawn in the 10 mil size.

Tinca Tinca

Reaction score
Bolt rig inline feeder for sleeper rod, see www.tenchfishers.com - rigs page. Fish with corn or mini boilies on hook and fill witha and a load of red maggots. Go for 2oz feeder, short semi stiff 15lb amnesia hooklink. Wait for the churners.