DAM tackle - your opinions

Paul Tilly

Reaction score
I'm sure most people remember D-A-M fishing tackle, although I don't think it's around in the UK now?

Anyway can you tell me what you thought of their gear in general please, and if any one has expereince of their reels,I'd love to hear how it was.

I've been having a debate on another forum (non UK) about the quality of their gear and am wondering if I am a bit off the mark with my comments?

Your contributions would help me out, I won't say if I think the stuff was good or bad as I just want a few honest opinions without wanting to influence the answers.

cheers,

Paul.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I used to see DAM as entry level (to be polite). I have had various rods and reels of theirs but not since I was a teenager.

J

John McLaren

I had a couple of small D.A.M. reels which cost a tenner each in the early 90s. I thought the were superb and for the price even better value. They were stolen and I replaced them with budget shimanos - not a patch on the D.A.M.s!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
DAM, originally German I believe, moved to Redditch in the early 90's and then eventually went bust. They did some half decent rods and they also did a very good closed face reel with a large spool but there problem was they were targetting the same market as Shakespeare, just down the road from them, Shaky won.

Some gear is being sold now under the name of DAM but I suspect if will be some Asian company who have bought the brand name.

E

Evan

DAM.... Deutsches Angeln something or other... Markt ?

Good robust kit in the late 70's / early 80's, one of the first affordable fibreglass rod manufacturers for novices and intermediates - I'd agree with Matt to some extent, but they were better than just entry level.

Best / most succesful product I recall was the DAM blue ledger and blue ledger de luxe line of rods; genuinely good ledger rods with the new fangled Fuji lined rings (tip 'n butt for the standard, all the way through for the de luxe) and lasted me for over twenty years....

Went bust and name now used by nothing good.

Beecy

Reaction score
I seem to remember one of thier rods being quite highly rated, think it was called the 'quickstick'

M

Mark Hodson

DAM did have some nice gear out at one stage, some of their Andy Little carp rods were quite nice, I have a apir of 2 1/4 lb test that I have had for over 16 years, they have a great through action and incredibly slim blanks, I use occasionally for heavy barbel stuff and stepped up tench/ bream fishing, also floater fishing.
They used to do some great whips for speed fishing, i had a few of those in 2 and 3 mtr lengths. Their closed face reel had a good following as well.

Does anyone remeber the "Robo" centrepin they sold as well, came in various metallic colours, quite large, never used one in anger but looked a good peice of kit.

Like all tackle, have a look, a play, and if it seems right, buy it.

P

paul williams 2

They also did one of the first match "power" rods if my memory serves me right?

Paul Tilly

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys.

From memory I thought the gear was pretty 'entry level' as well which was why I was asking because on this other thread I've got some guy telling me about the really high quality reels they sell/sold which didn't sound quite right to me.

Although I see a few comments about them having some OK gear, the "at one time" comment makes me think my original thoughts on this were about right.

Seems they are still going

http://www.dam.de/katalog/html/englisch/e_quick_dura_chrome.htm

which surprised me as I also thought them to be bust.

Thanks again,

cheers,

Paul.

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
I know someone who used to work for them and he said the gear was mostly "shite!"
'Entry level' is the polite defination of their genre.

Rich P

Reaction score
There were a couple of ads on the back page of Angling Times this week, as part of a whole page advert.

If, as someone here suggests, the name was sold, the prices seem to be pretty mid-range rather than entry level. Having said that, I've never met a fish who's expressed a preference for expensive tackle.

Happy fishing all - even those with 'cheap' rods

Trisantona

Reaction score
This other site wouldn't be Canadian per chance ?.Ive had 3 DAM rods and 2 reels and liked them all at the price (all bought half price in sales).good solid gear but not for posers.

fred hall

Reaction score
I have a DAM 14.5 metre pole which cost ?200 new five (?) years ago. Add to that another ?100 for 3 top sets and I have a pole which is reliable and versatile but does feel heavy beyond 11 metres.

Paul Tilly

Reaction score
Trisantona - you obviously came across the thread, yes on Canadian forum.

Well it's interesting to hear just how much some of you liked their stuff.

Well if they are back in business hopefully we'll see a few reviews soon and get an idea what their new stuff is like.

cheers,

Paul

Trisantona

Reaction score
No i didn't see thread ,but visit a couple of Canadian sites as their pins are way better than ours,nearly said light years ahead but seeing as most prefer Aerial style reels over here they are only a hundred years ahead.!!!!

J

John McLaren

Just by coincidence I was clearing out some old videos today and came across "How to take up Coarse Fishing"(part 2) presented by Kenny Collings of D.A.M. No date on it but I think it is from the mid 90s.

D

david bruce 1

Just enjoyed a day fishing with my DAM match procarp 13foot rod. I use it for long trotting and find it a very good rod handling chub up to 3-4 lbs in a fast current and at long range comfortably. Also the tip is sensitive enough for close work with silver fish. Only complaint would be the lack of secure reel mount.