Trotting mainline

goonch

Reaction score
Any recommendations on a mainline to use when trotting for grayling? I haven't done any trotting for a few years so I'm a bit out of the loop :rolleyes:

Phil Adams

Reaction score
Id be suprised if many people didnt recommend Drennans Floatfish. A good bouyant line makes it far easier to mend then line during a trot through.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Any recommendations on a mainline to use when trotting for grayling? I haven't done any trotting for a few years so I'm a bit out of the loop :rolleyes:

I use sensor straight through to the hook which is a barbed kamasan animal or super spade. Sensor is a top japanese mono underrated because it's a very competitive price.
I had a session last Sunday chasing the ladies and as usual the sensor proved spot on.

PitsfordPirate

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Daiwa Sensor or Maxima Chameleon, cheap as chips and works perfectly.

You could always consider braid, I have 10lb Spiderwire on one of my pins, same diameter as 2lb mono.

The Pirate.

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Id be suprised if many people didnt recommend Drennans Floatfish
I used it for the first time when I fished the Itchen week before last. Teamed up with my Alcocks Match Aerial and 38 yr old Hardy Matchmaker. Very good, easy to mend etc. caught my first ever Grayling and another 29 to go with it before I stopped trotting to try for a Barbel below the weir. No barbel but a 1-08 Roach on tackle that totally outgunned it!

sam vimes

Reaction score
Ultima Flo-Cast if you are feeling flush or Drennan Floatfish on a budget.
It puzzles me when folks recommend sinking lines (Sensor, Maxima etc) for trotting.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It puzzles me when folks recommend sinking lines (Sensor, Maxima etc) for trotting.

If daiwa sensor sinks how is it possible for me to mend it ?
I strip the line off my reel after every session and then re-load it with fresh before my next session, maybe that's why my sensor floats so well.

sam vimes

Reaction score
If daiwa sensor sinks how is it possible for me to mend it ?
I strip the line off my reel after every session and then re-load it with fresh before my next session, maybe that's why my sensor floats so well.

It's supposed to be a sinking line, as is Maxima. I've seen both become more difficult to sink over time but that doesn't make them floating lines. Try some Flo-Cast and you may re-apraise your idea of what constitutes a floating line.;)

barbelboi

Reaction score

Sam, I remember you recommended Flo-Cast on a similar thread a while back, I've yet to try it, is it that much better than Floatfish IYO to warrant the price difference?
Jerry

sam vimes

Reaction score
Sam, I remember you recommended Flo-Cast on a similar thread a while back, I've yet to try it, is it that much better than Floatfish IYO to warrant the price difference?
Jerry

Jerry, IMHO, yes it is.
There is a caveat though. I've heard from an angling aquaintance that it can be problematic in very low (sub zero air) temperatures. Not a problem I've encountered yet but maybe worth mentioning.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's supposed to be a sinking line, as is Maxima. I've seen both become more difficult to sink over time but that doesn't make them floating lines. Try some Flo-Cast and you may re-apraise your idea of what constitutes a floating line.;)

Thank's for the reccomendation SV but i'm happy with sensor. I might post up a few pic's sometime to prove my success with it when trotting :). I've never tried maxima for trotting so I couldn't say how it floats / sinks / lys on the waters surface:).

barbelboi

Reaction score
Jerry, IMHO, yes it is.
There is a caveat though. I've heard from an angling aquaintance that it can be problematic in very low (sub zero air) temperatures. Not a problem I've encountered yet but maybe worth mentioning.

Thanks Sam, I'll give it a go.
Jerry

George387

Reaction score
Dont use anything else but Berkley fireline Crystal on all my pins and cant fault it, would even go as far to say it gets better with time, I use the 8lbs which has a diameter of 0.009", Have tried all the mono lines and you couldn't pay me to switch back to them.

Flo cast is no use in the winter for the Grayling as it starts to unravel itself in extreme cold, so a waste of money for winter fishing

Last edited:

Will Barnard

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I was converted over to Suffix dura-flex for all my pin work. Lovely low diam floating line, tough as you like too. I think they have discontinued it now though but if you see it about it's well worth a try.

The fishing coach

Reaction score
I spoke to a man on the Ultima stand at the T&G show on Monday last and he said they are discontinuing Flo-cast, but Korda Kruiser Kontrol is OK but doesn't come in the lower breaking strains.
I use Fireline for long trotting and Drennan Float Fish or Bayer Perlon (probably the same thing) for closer range.
When using braid for trotting I always use a length of fluorocarbon under the float because braid will cast a shadow and then a short copolymer hook length.

red creel

Reaction score
Had a brief flirtation with Flo-Cast but could not get on with it at all yes it floated like a dream but it was just too thick in the diameter department for my liking(to be expected i guess as it is a hollow line)..plus only after using it the once the surface coating appeared to be cracking, oh and i hated the colour as well!

Pity as i really rate a lot of Ultima products especially the Power Match and Power Silk for hooklengths.

goonch

Reaction score
Plenty to think about there. Many thanks :)

I can remember now it was Drennan Float Fish I always used to use. Quite fancy trying out a braid to see how it compares though. I may well go with the Fireline Crystal.

mick b

Reaction score
I've been using Flo-Cast since the river opened and have found that the movement of the float stop causes the line to seperate into two lines.
However the strength of the line does not seem to be compromised and the seperation is only for a short section which can be discarded at the end of the day.
Having previously used Floatfish I can only say Fo-Cast is a true floating line where the Drennan product starts to sink if the float is moved up and down too much or heavy fidsh are continually being caught.
To me this demonstrates that this line has a wax/silicone type coating which wears off with abrasion.

Stuthebroo

Reaction score
I've just loaded my new Trudex with Berkley trilene XL Float line, anyone got any feedback on it? It seemed really nice going and and bought it as the shop I was in didn't have any Bayer Perlon which I have loaded on my Marco Cortesi pin and floats nicely on the water when trotting.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
I use either Fireline Crystal or WB Clarke (Silstar) Match Line. The WB Clarke in 6lb and the Fireline in 8lb. I prefer the Fireline for grayling, but my reel is currently loaded with WB Clarke as I like it for chub fishing as you can fish straight through with it.