Antitangle Feeder rig help needed

paul80

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I have just tried my hand at feeder fishing and used a simple running lead system.

Feeder on main line, bead, swivel, hook length.

This is the simple setup I use when carp fishing and don't have any problems but when feeder fishing I found that probably 50% of the time when I reeled in the hook length had tangled. I suspect this is because I am using a much lighter hook bait when feeder fishing over carp fishing.

Anyone got any recomendations for a tangle resistant feeder setup.

Thanks

Paul

thames steve

Reaction score
Hopefully people will post up pics of their anti tangle rigs but a few tips...

Feather the cast. This straightens your rig mid air, resulting in less tangles.

When you reel in, reel in slowly as this reduces tangles when using light hooklinks.

Placing a dust shot (or the sliding tungsten weights - like float stops) on a light hooklink will help it straighten in the mid air flight.

The best anti-tangle tip though is place the whole rig in a PVA bag, with groundbait or loose feed around it. As anti-tangle as you can get.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
The Roberts feeder boom for me as well. They rarely tangle with some care taken when casting and they come in various lengths of boom although I've only ever found it necessary to use the shortest boom. Also easy to change from lead to feeder!

Good thread!

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
I'll be awkward here! Buy some John Roberts ledger beads (the ones with the lead clip on them) and then buy some low diameter tail rubbers (the harder plasticky ones are the best). Thread the ledger bead on the line, followed by the tail rubber, pointy end first, then use either a ledger stop or a small swivel. The tail rubber can be jammed on to the swivel and the ledger bead fits nicely over the end of the tail rubber.

This is a slightly modified version of the Jan Porter feeder rig and it's cheaper (and probably more effective) than the John Roberts feeder booms. I'll see if I can find a pic somewhere.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I think I know what you mean but a pic would be nice......sounds a good alternative!.....................and you feel this is less likely to tangle and still remain sensitive??

paul80.......sorry for highjacking your thread!!

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score

Here it is:​

Picture_027_610x640_.jpg

View image in gallery

This is an early version, but you can get the idea from it. You can buy various lengths of tail rubber but I find that the standard (about 40mm) are best.​

paul80

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys

I will give it go next time I go fishing

Paul

Andrew Macfarlane

Reaction score
I buy the John Roberts rig tubing and the leger beads which are slid onto 3" of tubing and glued in place.

Cheaper than buy the things made up.

andreagrispi

Reaction score
Depends on what you are after but I fish a fixed paternoster rig that almost never tangles. Tie a big loop in the main line, trim the end with sharp scissors. Cut the loop, the feeder length should be no more than 6 inches, tie the feeder on. Tie a loop (which should be a inch longer than the end of the feeder) and then attach your hook length. Cast to the required distance and clip up. When casting, before the feeder hits the clip, position the rod at 90 degrees to where the feeder will land - bingo, no more tangles.

You could always use a method feeder - shouldn't tangle up with this approach also.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
I buy the John Roberts rig tubing and the leger beads which are slid onto 3" of tubing and glued in place.

Cheaper than buy the things made up.

That's how my version developed Andrew. I had trouble getting large bore beads and then I realised that I could use the standard beads with tail rubbers.

And then I saw the Jan Porter rig!

For those who don't know the JP rig is similar to the one I've described but with a swivel instead of the ledger bead. This jams over the tail rubber in the same way, but gives a more fixed rig.

Philip

Reaction score
I'll be awkward here! Buy some John Roberts ledger beads (the ones with the lead clip on them) and then buy some low diameter tail rubbers (the harder plasticky ones are the best). Thread the ledger bead on the line, followed by the tail rubber, pointy end first, then use either a ledger stop or a small swivel. The tail rubber can be jammed on to the swivel and the ledger bead fits nicely over the end of the tail rubber.

This is a slightly modified version of the Jan Porter feeder rig and it's cheaper (and probably more effective) than the John Roberts feeder booms. I'll see if I can find a pic somewhere.

There was a very similar setup described by Tim Paisly a few years back that used a tapered tadpole tail rubber pushed into a JR low resistance run ring ….so run ring threaded onto the mainline first..lead attached to that via lead clip.. followed by tail rubber pointy end upwards which pushes into the run ring then tie on the hooklink swivel which pushes into the fat end of the tail rubber. Its pretty tangle free but it was supposed to be a a semi fixed setup.

If you replaced the run ring with a JR ledger bead it would become a running setup.

agamemnon

Reaction score
i use stiff plastic tube and fead a quick release swivel over the tube and just give it a light crimp with my forceps to hold it in place. all you need to do to get rid of the tangles is spread the load of the swivel onto your line and stop it from stretching the line on cast and retrieve.

paul80

Reaction score
I have ordered some of the Jonhn Roberts rigs to see how I get on with them before I think of making my own, mind you at £1.49 for 3 they don't exactly break the bank.

Paul

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I use the John Roberts Anti-tangle booms. They don't always keep you out of tangles especially if just using soft braid in long hooklengths. Look at this

files.php

I have used it together with a coated braided hooklink and a cover over the swivel on the hooklink. Everything designed to keep the bait out of a tangle when fishing in strong mixed currents. When you get them, add a short length of wide (3mm) silicone tube (about ¾") to the end so it can fit tight over the swivel of the hooklink. Here's another using an entirely soft hooklink

files.php

Last edited: