Another roach season is about to begin...

dezza

Reaction score
And let's hope that this autumn and winter is better than last.

Last year there were long periods when it was impossible to fish, what with the cold weather, frozen lakes, canals and even rivers, and icy roads. All we need are average winter conditions with a few good mild blows from the west and plenty of soft soaking rain.

Without any doubt, the roach is my favourite fish. Nothing looks as impressive as those red fins, silver, going on brassy flanks, and greenish tinged back against the drab grey and olive of a typical English winter's day.

And where to catch them where I live?

Well years ago I would have plumped for a couple of local estate lakes and the River Idle without hesitation. Today, the Idle is finished, all the roach have been eaten by cormorants, and the same thing has happened to the estate lakes. There are hardly any left.

So I'm afraid it's on to the commercials and the carp waters where more and more big roach are making their presence known. I saw a photo of a big roach yesterday that was not weighed, caught from a lake not 10 minutes drive from here. It looked every bit of 2 lbs.

How to fish for them? Simple - waggler tactics using bread, casters or maggots. Fishing the pole will also work, but it's not as pleasant as wielding a light float rod. On the bigger lakes, two rods with block end feeders and quivertips will work.

So let's hear from those who are planning a roach campaign during the next few months.

Oh and don't forget the canals!

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll be targeting the Roach as usual this winter, but always with the odd Chub in mind too.

I prefer the rivers to be honest and we still have some decent Roach in the Hampshire Avon, so being local that is where I usually start. so it will be the waggler or stick float coupled with the feeder or straight lead approach. Bread, Casters and Maggot being the usual baits.
Last year I had some success with an 8m pole and a lollipop float held fast in some of the deeper little 'holes'

That said, there are a couple of 'commercial' fisheries reasonably local that now have a very good stock of quite large Roach, so those are not to be overlooked either; Pole tactics for those though but with bread (punch) flake, caster and maggots again.

Although, when it turns even colder then my thoughts will turn to the Lady Grayling of our chalk streams and you'll find me on the Avon or the Itchen.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I’ll also be targeting roach again this winter and have also had good spring/summer/autumn sessions this year on the rivers and farm ponds.
As Ron says it would be nice if it didn’t turn pear shaped in the middle of December again, the roach fishing was really first class until that early cold snap hit last year. I shall be concentrating on a couple of rivers, one day ticket (commercial) water that is virtually empty during the winter months with very big roach in residence and a local farm pond where the roach are ‘very decent’ if you put the effort in. As much as I prefer a rod and line for big roach, on the commercial the way to go is a pole at approximately 7m (the shelf) gradually bringing them closer during the day. They can be so finicky that pole tactics are needed as many are caught ‘lifting’ on the slightest twitch or instinct that would not be connected with otherwise.
Jerry

chav professor

Reaction score
Always the chance of a good roach down our parts. it was all down to location - if you could find them, they fed in the most inclement weather - even withstanding snow melt!

look carefully in the background and you can make out the snow....

roach9-12-10001.jpg

there were some fish in excess of 'two's' near by - but I found them extremely suspect and never caught one..... maybe this year! I still think the best chance of a big roach is from a still water - but the challenge for me is to catch a new PB from a river......

Last edited:

Butcherboy

Reaction score
I have a quiet lake to visit again from which I caught a lot of Roach to a best brace of 1lb 6oz. Not monsters but I'm sure there are bigger in there.

My first year after a river big Roach. Trying a new stretch of the Yorkshire Derwent on Sunday to see I can catch a few. Bread will be chosen bait.

Trying to convert my "Carping" brother to river fishing.

2 goals on Sunday, wish me luck :)

red creel

Reaction score
As far as river roach are concerned it will be the Kennet for me as usual one or two places where they still reside in numbers to make it worthwhile targetting them.Other than the Kennet it will be the Hants Avon at Britford that i will visit from time to time.When the rivers are out of sorts then my plan B will be a club lake that has started to chuck out some seriously big fish on the QT, whispers of 3 pound plus fish on the clubs forum.

Philip

Reaction score
I’ll be having a go on my local river on the float. I have an area in mind, top side of a weir. I looked at it last year but never got round to fishing it. There is something about the top side of weirs and Roach. The waters deep so I will fish a slider. Usually I would do a a bit of prebaiting before I fish but in this case I just get the feeling the Roach may already be there and I dont want to attract too many Bream. No idea why I think the Roach are already present …I just get that feeling when I look at the water , some of you may know what I mean.

I also plan to have a bash on a canal. I may try a few after dark sessions. Its been a while since I stared at a starlight sat on top of a float …I am quite looking forward to it. Bread and corn on the river and bread on the canal will be the baits. I am trying to avoid maggots as they tend to attract too many little’uns.

Sorry to all the Roach lovers but I also have to add that one or two are going to end up on a hook as there are some good Zander about too.

Reaction score
Hopefully will be having a go myself this Saturday, dusted off my pole and raring to go, been lure fishing in the salt all summer, so looking forward to a change. Got a nice section of canal sorted.

Will Barnard

Reaction score
Yes, thought I best have a crack on the River Test before I get too wrapped up in the grayling for the winter.

2lb 1oz and a handful of dace between 13 and 14.5oz

Attachments

• DSC00819.jpg
    DSC00819.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 45
  • will-2lb1oz-roach.jpg
    will-2lb1oz-roach.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 55

watatoad

Reaction score
I seldom stop fishing for Roach, all other fish I go for are in mini campaigns for each species, fitted in during my Roach fishing, regardless of what Chub, Tench, Perch, Bream, Barbel, Dace and occasionally river Carp.

Last edited:

Nathan Walter

Reaction score
As ever I shall be trying to catch a few roach this winter, along with dace and grayling. I find it incredibly frustrating, especially when fishing in clearish water and you can see the roach move out of the way of an on-coming bait!

Still I will try a few different approaches; maybe free-lined worm and very light link ledgered crust.

Overall I enjoy catching them on the float but when needs must, I will alter tactics to suit.

There is one constant and that is the challenge. Always demanding and difficult and that's what makes it so special.

redfin123

Reaction score
And let's hope that this autumn and winter is better than last.

Last year there were long periods when it was impossible to fish, what with the cold weather, frozen lakes, canals and even rivers, and icy roads. All we need are average winter conditions with a few good mild blows from the west and plenty of soft soaking rain.

Without any doubt, the roach is my favourite fish. Nothing looks as impressive as those red fins, silver, going on brassy flanks, and greenish tinged back against the drab grey and olive of a typical English winter's day.

And where to catch them where I live?

Well years ago I would have plumped for a couple of local estate lakes and the River Idle without hesitation. Today, the Idle is finished, all the roach have been eaten by cormorants, and the same thing has happened to the estate lakes. There are hardly any left.

So I'm afraid it's on to the commercials and the carp waters where more and more big roach are making their presence known. I saw a photo of a big roach yesterday that was not weighed, caught from a lake not 10 minutes drive from here. It looked every bit of 2 lbs.

How to fish for them? Simple - waggler tactics using bread, casters or maggots. Fishing the pole will also work, but it's not as pleasant as wielding a light float rod. On the bigger lakes, two rods with block end feeders and quivertips will work.

So let's hear from those who are planning a roach campaign during the next few months.

Oh and don't forget the canals!

hi ron, I read with interest your comment about the river idle bring finnished and cormoranted out, I am a big idle fan and have taken some descent nets of redfins, dace and one or two ide rescently and ive not seen any cormorants, Do you come to this conclusion from your own experiance or just hear say????

Last edited:

redfin123

Reaction score
hi ron, I read with interest your comment about the river idle bring finnished and cormoranted out, I am a big idle fan and have taken some descent nets of redfins, dace and one or two ide rescently and ive not seen any cormorants, Do you come to this conclusion from your own experiance or just hear say????

what,s up ron, can,t answer a simple question or is it simpley that you don,t know the answer.

Reaction score
Well Saturday wasn't too bad, not a big bag, but enough to be interesting, maggots both red and white were the bait, casters didn't interest them at all.

My favourite method of Roach fishing is with a pole, I am trying to get my wifes grandson into pole fishing, he insists on a rod and never catches as many fish, so its off to a put and take fishery this Saturday and give him a lesson on pole fishing.

redfin123

Reaction score
Well Saturday wasn't too bad, not a big bag, but enough to be interesting, maggots both red and white were the bait, casters didn't interest them at all.

My favourite method of Roach fishing is with a pole, I am trying to get my wifes grandson into pole fishing, he insists on a rod and never catches as many fish, so its off to a put and take fishery this Saturday and give him a lesson on pole fishing.

hello mate, do,nt be to pushy with the lad on pole fishing, let him use his rod if he wants. give him time and he will try pole fishing in his own time.I did this with my grandson and now he uses both rod and pole and is a descent angler, good luck. redfin

smallbreamboy

Reaction score
Touch wood, i have booked some holiday for next month so will be venturing up Noorf, to see friends/ family and hopefully some clonking Roach.

I will be targetting a small 200 acre pit, that moons ago was prolific for roach, however now it is mainly mud piggers with a few of us bream anglers, i also target the eels and roach.

This will be my 3rd year attempt at them (as long as it doesn't freeze), the first year (session) was a very steep learning curve as i kept coming back with line twist on the hooklength, so had very little confidence in it.

Earlier this year (last few days of the last season) i managed a few days, and progressed to getting 2 maggots sucked, i spent 48 hours facing that strong wind, all the carpers were tucked away in the woods and i had upto 2ft waves hitting the bank, some of my bivvy pegs got pulled out and the bivvy nearly took off, but i managed to grab it in time.

This specimen roach fishing i feel is alot harder than the other types, and the fact i got 2 maggots sucked gave me more confidence.

My plan is to do 48 hours, then meet a mate at another venue that is alot smaller and has had 2lb roach come out of it, will do 24 hours on there, as they charge a bit for 24 hours, should i not get anything in the 1st 48, this will give me some hope.

I then plan a night out on the town to either drown my sorrows or celebrate after getting a brace of 3's (oz that is), then all being well, back there for 2 more nights.

Where i feel i went wrong last year was by staying in the same place and expecting the roach to come to me, i have been advised to do 24 hours and if nothing then move. Due to the lake being clear i expect the action to come mainly at night, so the day time is relaxing and sorting rigs out time. I am thinking about taking the waggler with me, just to break up the monotony, and stave off the mental illness.

Think i will be looking forward to work by then :confused:

David Dalton

Reaction score
I will be trying in the lower part of The Royalty, Christchurch Harbour and Quay and the Lower Stour. There are definitely still roach there, despite the otters and cormorants - it's finding the big ones.

andreagrispi

Reaction score
The water you fish is too understocked and too large to just fish the occasional session. Unless you are extremely lucky I will be surprised if you hit gold.

You need to fish the place at least once per week - 20 to 30 sessions in you should be starting to get a feel for the water, this will be enhanced if you find a couple of like minded anglers to share your knowledge.

200 acres is a massive water. I would make sure you are on the water at dusk or first light and watch for priming roach.

Good luck- you'll need it.

Touch wood, i have booked some holiday for next month so will be venturing up Noorf, to see friends/ family and hopefully some clonking Roach.

I will be targetting a small 200 acre pit, that moons ago was prolific for roach, however now it is mainly mud piggers with a few of us bream anglers, i also target the eels and roach.

This will be my 3rd year attempt at them (as long as it doesn't freeze), the first year (session) was a very steep learning curve as i kept coming back with line twist on the hooklength, so had very little confidence in it.

Earlier this year (last few days of the last season) i managed a few days, and progressed to getting 2 maggots sucked, i spent 48 hours facing that strong wind, all the carpers were tucked away in the woods and i had upto 2ft waves hitting the bank, some of my bivvy pegs got pulled out and the bivvy nearly took off, but i managed to grab it in time.

This specimen roach fishing i feel is alot harder than the other types, and the fact i got 2 maggots sucked gave me more confidence.

My plan is to do 48 hours, then meet a mate at another venue that is alot smaller and has had 2lb roach come out of it, will do 24 hours on there, as they charge a bit for 24 hours, should i not get anything in the 1st 48, this will give me some hope.

I then plan a night out on the town to either drown my sorrows or celebrate after getting a brace of 3's (oz that is), then all being well, back there for 2 more nights.

Where i feel i went wrong last year was by staying in the same place and expecting the roach to come to me, i have been advised to do 24 hours and if nothing then move. Due to the lake being clear i expect the action to come mainly at night, so the day time is relaxing and sorting rigs out time. I am thinking about taking the waggler with me, just to break up the monotony, and stave off the mental illness.

Think i will be looking forward to work by then :confused:

chav professor

Reaction score
I will be trying in the lower part of The Royalty, Christchurch Harbour and Quay and the Lower Stour. There are definitely still roach there, despite the otters and cormorants - it's finding the big ones.

I genunely think Comorant and otter predation has made angling jus that bit harder. I don't think in many cases the stocks are decimated (though there are localised areas which unfortunately will be) its just that they are more cautious and don't settle on bait as easily as they might.

I take my river as an example,Match after Match in the winter is either a blank or nets of small perch. I can catch quality roach and know where to find them, but you wouldn't peg a match out there - it is too overgrown, but it does offer a sanctuary against predators.
wadeandroach009.jpg

Nice net of roach from around two weeks ago....

smallbreamboy

Reaction score
The water you fish is too understocked and too large to just fish the occasional session. Unless you are extremely lucky I will be surprised if you hit gold.

You need to fish the place at least once per week - 20 to 30 sessions in you should be starting to get a feel for the water, this will be enhanced if you find a couple of like minded anglers to share your knowledge.

200 acres is a massive water. I would make sure you are on the water at dusk or first light and watch for priming roach.

Good luck- you'll need it.

I do like a challenge, yes i know that it will be hard, but due to my situation, i'm unable to give the place that much attention.

One of the bailiffs has said he is thinking of giving it a go, so may be able to persuade him to get out when i am there, although the stocks are low, i know of 2 guys who travelled up from London a few years ago and managed to do well, then giving up think it was to do with catching too many 2's, they spodded quite heavily with dead maggots, something i haven't tried, as i was concerned that quite an amount of bait with small head of fish not good, but then there is also the other fiosh that will eat them.

I will be doing a night on a normal water, so that will be my catching time i hope.

Fancy a challenge Shaun?